• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do Oyster validators work differently now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

burgesst

Just realised that I've been charged out of zone extras for journeys within my zones!

I have an annual zone 3-6 season on my Oystercard, and travel Strawberry Hill - Willesden Junction via Richmond. I usually touch the pink validator at Richmond, but since having a season (for 3 years), its never made a difference if I haven't.

Until this year. Just found I have been charged an out of zone fare 4 times this month, I guess because I didn't touch the validator. I know that they changed the rule from 'should' to 'must' use the validator last year, but has the actual charging process changed now too?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The pink validators were originally only applicable to PAYG users, not Travelcard holders. This changed some time ago.

Also, separately to that, the default route for a Travelcard holder may be different to the default route for a PAYG user. But, again, these could be subject to change.

It looks like you will now have to use the pink reader, unfortunately.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The default routes for travelcard holders used to be different, but I don't think many, if any, are now. The default for this journey is via Clapham Junction, if you touch at Richmond you avoid zone 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.