• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Do YOU find the underground HOT and STUFFY? Please read on..

Status
Not open for further replies.

suze2403

Hello All!

Do you find the underground hot and stuffy?! So much to the point you struggle with breathing or find you're on the brink of fainting at the peak times on a sweltering day in the summer?

I am a Product Design Student at Northumbria university, in my final year and I need to find a "major final year" product to design so if anyone can help me that would be absolutely fantastic!...

First of all I was thinking of designing something that passengers can quickly pick up when going into the underground, put it on and it would help cool individuals down and possibly blow cool "fresh" air towards the face, then when they come out of the destination, they can simply drop it off.

So, does this sound like a good idea, or do you think there is no real need for it or can you see a big flaw in it that I can't?

I understand that the product will probably want to be discreet so we all don't have to go on the underground wearing oxygen masks and a cool pack on our forehead! But other ideas may be possible.

There also may be have to be a small charge of using this product, but I was thinking this could be added to the oyster system (as an extra) and so you can use your oyster card to quickly swipe and pick it up. However, how much would people be prepared to pay for a 6-month service for example? or for just an individual on-off time?

All ideas, suggestions, recommendations will be GREATLY appreciated.

And I hope to hear from anyone soon, I have to decided what to do by next week, eek!

Many many thanks :)

Suze

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
What about if someone decided to not put it back?

suze2403

ha, I haven't thought of that! Perhaps it will have to have security tags on. or make it into a product just to buy not to rent? Do you think that people would be interested in buying one if the price was right? :)

MCR247

Established Member
I'm not sure, but I visit London often, and although it has been quite hot on some lines, I wouldn't consider buying something

NSEFAN

Established Member
Spray cans of liquid oxygen? ;)

I'm sure many people know how uncomfortable the trains can be when it comes to temperature. Whilst the idea of something pickable-upable by passengers seems good, I think cans of water are already widely available. If you're looking for something a bit different, perhaps some dirt-cheap effective cooling for the tunnels instead? Better heat-dissapation to the surface would make a world of difference!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Well, if you wanted to stop people walking off with whatever the product was the simplest way would be to incorporate security tags in them and fit detectors at all the station exits ( £££££.....!!!!! ) in pretty much the same way that security tags in shops work.

Having said that, I wouldn't buy or hire any such product myself - I can cope with the temperatures on the Underground quite well, even in high summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.