• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Does TFL have in house welders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladder23

Established Member
as above, I’m a welder for NR, my curiosity wants to know if there is rail welders employed by TFL/LU or whether there welding is done soley by contractor staff

thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubeboy

LU do employ their own welders. Looking at the internal document showing the pay rates, it’s 50-60k a year depending on whether you’re days or nights. No idea when the job will be advertised again, so keep an eye on the TFL jobs page on their website.

greyman42

Established Member
LU do employ their own welders. Looking at the internal document showing the pay rates, it’s 50-60k a year depending on whether you’re days or nights. No idea when the job will be advertised again, so keep an eye on the TFL jobs page on their website.
Fitters are often trained to weld. I have no idea if this is the case on LU.

I went on a basic welding course whilst a train maintainer at Northfields depot. Never used the knowledge gained though.

507 001

Established Member
I think the OP is asking about thermite rail welders rather than ‘normal’ welders?

Status
Not open for further replies.