• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

East Coast Eureka changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Failed Unit

Established Member
So I Lincoln - London is dead (bar 1 train per day), I wonder what other changes are afoot. To be honest it was probably the right thing to do, even living the the area that has lost the most. The 180's in the peak would overcrowd as a lot of passengers would use Newark, Grantham and Peterborough. Off peak I suspect they would be carrying a lot of fresh air, yes most people from Lincoln drive to Newark but I don't think you would see more than 100 people per train from Newark - Lincoln. 5 coach trains are not good use of capacity on the ECML Peterborough - Welwyn section.

Here is a link to the local rag.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk...r-service/article-2321911-detail/article.html

One interesting point that passed me down but the east coast press release states 4 additonal trains will stop at Newark. Yes this is the TOC con trick as most people will think 4 return service, but no it is only 2 trains each way. So Newark could be having a worse service then it does today as a result. In most hours at Newark you get 2 trains per hour (there are expections in the morning and mid afternoon). When the Lincoln trains were supposed to run I doesn't look like they will be replaced with anything most hours. Grantham isn't mentioned at all so could also be a loser.

I think the York service will stay the same, the 180's were only ever planned to go to Lincoln and it would have needed all 5 to do that when you consider spare cover.

Hopefully we will soon see the new timetable. But it looks like big loses at the south end of the route.

As for Lincoln connection to London seems a long way off. To me the only way I can ever see it happening if if the Peterborough - Lincoln - Doncaster route is electrified and the London - Peterborough semi-fast is extended, but that is not going to happen until at least 2030!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

i am absolutely gutted about this as i live in lincoln and i was looking forward to these new services, but who knows whats going to happen when a new franchise takes over? Hopefully they might reinstate the services.

Failed Unit

Established Member
i am absolutely gutted about this as i live in lincoln and i was looking forward to these new services, but who knows whats going to happen when a new franchise takes over? Hopefully they might reinstate the services.

I expect that the units will be long gone before the new franchise takes over. Hull trains were thinking of running a London - Spalding - Lincoln - Grimsby service once the joint line is upgraded using 180's. This plan was dead when all the 180's were taken so it may be revived - they never put this forward to ORR for paths. I suspect HT would prefer to expand to Harrogate if they got the extra trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.