• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Engineer’s Line References

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffk

Established Member
I've come across these codes on bridges etc. but don’t know anything about their origins. I assume they originated with the civil engineer's department. These are the codes to report if you witness a bridge strike or other incident. Do they date from BR days or go back to the pre-1948 companies?

When I lived in the Calder Valley, bridges carried plates marked MVN, which I was told stood for Manchester Victoria and Normanton Line (even though of course no passenger trains now cover the whole route).

Where I live now I see the LSWR main line is described as BAE – I assume Basingstoke and Exeter - and why does the GW main line have the code MLN?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FGW_DID

Established Member
I've come across these codes on bridges etc. but don’t know anything about their origins. I assume they originated with the civil engineer's department. These are the codes to report if you witness a bridge strike or other incident. Do they date from BR days or go back to the pre-1948 companies?

When I lived in the Calder Valley, bridges carried plates marked MVN, which I was told stood for Manchester Victoria and Normanton Line (even though of course no passenger trains now cover the whole route).

Where I live now I see the LSWR main line is described as BAE – I assume Basingstoke and Exeter - and why does the GW main line have the code MLN?

A list of ELRs can be found here:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I believe the GWR originated the system so nabbed all the plumb abbreviations like MLN for Main Line. A lot of them reflect much earlier railway history - they tie in with mileposts so tend to align with the companies that originally built the route and set out the mileages. Normanton was the limit of the Lancashire and Yorkshire from its zero point at Manchester Victoria (originally the Manchester and Leeds I guess). Other examples include OWW for the Oxford Worcester and Wolverhampton, now the Cotswold line and onwards to Stourbridge Junction, petering out these days at Round Oak.

pdeaves

Established Member
I believe the GWR originated the system so nabbed all the plumb abbreviations like MLN for Main Line. A lot of them reflect much earlier railway history - they tie in with mileposts so tend to align with the companies that originally built the route and set out the mileages. Normanton was the limit of the Lancashire and Yorkshire from its zero point at Manchester Victoria (originally the Manchester and Leeds I guess). Other examples include OWW for the Oxford Worcester and Wolverhampton, now the Cotswold line and onwards to Stourbridge Junction, petering out these days at Round Oak.
It's a BR system that started on the Western region, with roots in a GWR system.

geoffk

Established Member
It's a BR system that started on the Western region, with roots in a GWR system.
Thanks for comments. A bit like the motive power depot codes - BR took over the LMS system, which started at 1A, and expanded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.