• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

EU legislation and bus routes more than 50 km in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
Do any express services operate non-stop for more than 5 1/2 hours? If so, how are driver change-overs actioned? I've heard of continental drivers changing over whilst the coach was still travelling, but that surely doesn't happen here. Do the coaches pull into a motorway services, stop, change drivers, then move off again?
no, although there only needs to be a stop for driver change, and not for a passenger break, I cannot believe that any company would sanction a driver change on the move, that is not to say that drivers never do it.

Maximum driving time on an express route is 4.5 hours.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Unstoppable

On Moderation
no, although there only needs to be a stop for driver change, and not for a passenger break, I cannot believe that any company would sanction a driver change on the move, that is not to say that drivers never do it.

Maximum driving time on an express route is 4.5 hours.
With Digital Tachograph cards being used it isn't possible to swap drivers on the go. As someone who does double manning long distance work I can confidently say I have always changed driver in a service station

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I also cannot believe that any company would sanction an on-the-move driver change. It's a moment when people can easily be distracted and, to my mind at least, is no different to using a phone while driving, for example.

Now that we have left the EU, does anyone expect these long through routes to reappear as they were before? There are too many to list.
To return to your original question, possibly, our politicians are easily influenced by big business as mentioned by others in this thread. The splitting runs to get around safety legislation is pointless anyway, other than as a fiddle/ work around to increase profits.

Sorry to go off topic, but I doubt anyone would ever change over on the move, you wou!d be looking at serious charges and possibly even prison.

I always drive as if I am on camera as chances are, you are.

Titfield

Established Member
Many companies use scheduling software such as that provided by Omnibus Systems.

These have all the rules / regulations etc built into the scheduling software so it would be extremely unlikely for a non compliant schedule / duty / timetable to be operated.

Having used the software myself some years ago it is a very powerful tool.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Do any express services operate non-stop for more than 5 1/2 hours? If so, how are driver change-overs actioned? I've heard of continental drivers changing over whilst the coach was still travelling, but that surely doesn't happen here. Do the coaches pull into a motorway services, stop, change drivers, then move off again?
There are some long distance NX routes that run non stop, the coach pulls into a services for the drivers to change over.

jay38a

Does anyone know what the situation is in EU member states with regards to this? Do local bus and long distance services all come under EU drivers hours in Germany or France for example? And if so are digi cards used on local service work?
In Ireland we do have domestic rules. They are different to the UK rules with only the 5.5 hour driving spells and 30 min breaks being the same. Max driving can be 11 hours and you must have 24 hours off after your 6th day. If you reduce down to 9 hours rest you must compensate it with 12 hours the day after.

Status
Not open for further replies.