• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurofreight greater Manchester terminal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ships

I've seen this on my quail and the sectional appendix and from google maps there was an arrival and departure road but apparently no other infractuure. My digging indicates this was as part of the agecroft colliery redevelopment. My question is did this site ever open and does anyone have any more details? Both this and the freight site at ordstall seem to have no information online.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Mods could this be moved to the infrastructure section

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Moonshot

Established Member
What a co incidence......I actually asked the very same question when I saw this in the sectional appendix the other week when I was doing a route learning exercise. I was of the opinion this was an error?

dysonsphere

Maybe they just made provision in the track and pointwork and signaling and thats as far as it went.

Ships

Nope google maps and traveling past there every day shows all the track and signalling is there/was there

Last edited:

dysonsphere

Nope google maps and traveling past there every day shows all the track and signalling is there/was there
Sorry thats what I meant track etc was installed but the rest never happened, I suppose the enginneres might find it handy as a layover location.

Last edited:

Ships

I get ya! It's very strange that that would happen; I would imagine the cost of laying the sidings with the S&C and signalling would have been the most expensive part of the project!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I don't know about this specific case but it seems to be quite common for a rail connection to be put in for a new freight terminal but not used. I think this is usually because the people developing the terminal include it either as a condition to obtain planning permission or because they see it as a way of attracting tenants. However if the tenants that sign up have no need for rail access then the track within the site won't be built.

Although it sounds an odd way of doing things, it does mean that if existing or future tenants decide they want to use rail, the difficult part (providing the NR connection) is already done. Assuming the allocated space hasn't been built over, it's relatively easy to lay some sidings within the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.