• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Eurostar strike timetable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Freemo

Slightly off topic consumer rights query:

My train back from Lille is now cancelled so intend to travel the following day, if I source my own accommodation will I be able to claim back from Eurostar? Or is it a case of either showing up and hoping they can provide it on the day, or claim on travel insurance?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Surprised they haven't put up an English version too, although probably that will happen in due course.

popeter45

seems resonable what they are doing (only running the trains 7am-5am)
any idea what options people have for if their trian was one of the ones cancelled?, can they swap or is runfund the only option?

Peterthegreat

Established Member
seems resonable what they are doing (only running the trains 7am-5am)
any idea what options people have for if their trian was one of the ones cancelled?, can they swap or is runfund the only option?
f your Eurostar train is cancelled, you can:

• Exchange your booking for free for travel at a different time/date in the same travel class OR
  • Cancel your booking and claim a Eurostar e-voucher valid for 12 months OR
  • Cancel your booking and claim a refund of your ticket via your point of sale.

Adlington

Surprised they haven't put up an English version too
The French version is probably politically correct à la française: "mouvement social" instead of "grève"
:rolleyes:

dutchflyer

Established Member
Thats indeed the wording (newspeak?) they are using since at least some 4-5 yrs by now for this in FR fairly often happening phenomenon. Who starts the bet how long this term may last to be replaced by yet another newspeak word that is even less indicative of what is actually happening?

rvdborgt

Slightly off topic consumer rights query:

My train back from Lille is now cancelled so intend to travel the following day, if I source my own accommodation will I be able to claim back from Eurostar? Or is it a case of either showing up and hoping they can provide it on the day, or claim on travel insurance?
If there's no later train (with available seats) on that day from Lille to London and you don't want to travel earlier, then Eurostar will have to provide accommodation, or, if they don't, pay you back for accommodation you had to find for yourself (at a reasonable price of course). Travel insurance should not be involved here. See Regulation 1371/2007 article 18. In principle, you should ask them first and only book it yourself if they don't provide anything.

rvdborgt is, of course, correct, but the only time this actually happened to me (in BE) practice didn't follow theory at all. (Delay arose on a domestic DB train near Nuremberg connecting to the ICE service to Brussels.) I did subsequently put in a claim to DB's central customer service centre and was told 'try ATOC'! So, when planning a trip on ES, I always leave a considerable margin in practice and avoid the last trains.

In true life, for travel from everywhere in Germany beyond the Rhineland air travel is both easier, quicker and often cheaper .... although the views are not as good. Commercially, it seems to me that ES can fill their trains with pax to/from Belgium, Lille and the Paris Region without too much trouble. Longer distance travel is just not that important to them...although the opening of the A'dam route is a sign of change, perhaps?

joncombe

I had hoped Eurostar would not be effected by the strike but sadly not. I am not due to travel until early August on a trip already cancelled from 2020, which I don't want to cancel again. I can see from the timetable they published the train I am due to go out on still runs but the return does not and I would have to travel over 6 hours earlier on the last train. That doesn't give me enough time, so would have to extend my trip, at more cost. Of course I am hoping the strike will not continue into August, but I'm not confident so found a £50 flight coming back from Brussels at a similar time. Of course if the train still runs, that money is lost, so I'm hedging my bets, but disappointed to be in this situation.

tivoli

If I am booked on a London-Amsterdam train and it terminates at Brussels, will Eurostar arrange for my journey to be completed with another carrier?

rvdborgt

If I am booked on a London-Amsterdam train and it terminates at Brussels, will Eurostar arrange for my journey to be completed with another carrier?
They'll have to. In practice, they'll probably direct everyone to the IC service.

scarby

Who do you think signals HS1?

Thanks for the explanation. Just a joe public traveller here, who doesn't live in the UK, so I haven't followed the strike details closely.

I had hoped Eurostar would not be effected by the strike but sadly not. I am not due to travel until early August on a trip already cancelled from 2020, which I don't want to cancel again. I can see from the timetable they published the train I am due to go out on still runs but the return does not and I would have to travel over 6 hours earlier on the last train. That doesn't give me enough time, so would have to extend my trip, at more cost. Of course I am hoping the strike will not continue into August, but I'm not confident so found a £50 flight coming back from Brussels at a similar time. Of course if the train still runs, that money is lost, so I'm hedging my bets, but disappointed to be in this situation.

I'm going to be more than disappointed if this goes on in the summer holidays, I'll be absolutely spitting feathers.

I took advantage of the Interrail flash sale and have spent days planning a summer holiday trip including using Eurostar to get to and from London and to use the Interrail ticket extensively in the UK. After two years of severely disrupted summer holidays, the mere travelling public were led to believe this would be the first normal summer for travel since 2019. Right now it's looking likely we will be completely sold down the river on this - if I'd known this was even a possibility I would have simply arranged to go somewhere else. If my trip is ruined, I'll never, ever, book a holiday in the UK again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.