• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Excess help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakerstreet

Ticket held

BEAULIEU ROAD BEU
to TONBRIDGE. TON
Off Peak Return
15.85 with gold card
Route - via Eden/Poleg

Want to excess to

BEAULIEU ROAD BEU
to BIRCHINGTON BCH
17.80 with gold card
Route - via Barnham (Route via Eden/Poleg not available)

Is this excess possible? (understand re the usual shopping around)
And would it be simply an excess of £1.95?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Haywain

Veteran Member
In my opinion, an excess would not be appropriate as you are going to be going off on a different route, rather than just overdistance. In this case a new ticket from Hastings (or thereabouts - I haven't got a map to hand) would be appropriate.

bakerstreet

Ok thanks a lot for advice - I was sure that Tonbridge is or at least used to be on a permitted route but perhaps that went with the Routeing guide changes. I'll try and work out where I go astray. I keep finding more and more Routeing guide changes

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
To get the 'over-riding' excess fare (often referred to as 'over-distance'), you would need to use a permitted route for both tickets and travel through/via the destination of the original ticket.

If you couldn't do that it would be "deviation off route to a new destination", which is a new ticket from the point of deviation (accounting for NRCoC condition 19), as Haywain indicates.

bakerstreet

Thanks understood I just thought that Tonbridge used to be a permitted route between Beaulieu Rd and Birchington and if so I could travel through Tonbridge to get to my over distance destination.
If they have taken that away or if I have misremembered then that's different.

Status
Not open for further replies.