• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

exotic tram design ?

raafif

Most trams seem to conform to a fairly "standard" style, either vintage or modern (very square or rounded).

What exotic styles have there been ? Found these ... first is the Russian BAT tram prototype, but I do like the art-deco NewYork Stepless which ran in Brisbane, Australia.

Attachments

• 10087_tn_uvz-r1-tram-innoprom.jpg
    10087_tn_uvz-r1-tram-innoprom.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 226
  • NwYork Stepless.jpg
    NwYork Stepless.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 225
  • tobleron-train-fake2.jpg
    tobleron-train-fake2.jpg
    450.5 KB · Views: 226
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WatcherZero

Established Member
Give it to the Russians to design a vehicle that intentionally funnels pedestrians under the wheels, maybe it should feature in GTA?

dlj83

I like the front of the trams in Luxembourg, it would be nice to see a much different design in London for the next lot of trams there7E6D16B4-5E50-4880-B224-20688A6F1C66.jpeg

raafif

Just found this from a tram game. Game has 3 trams a basic modern one, a PCC & this. Game blurb says trams can't go backwards - all my museum's trams are double-ended. Presume they give you a turntable or you have to loop.

Attachments

• Retro-Modern.png
    Retro-Modern.png
    398.2 KB · Views: 60

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Just found this from a tram game. Game has 3 trams a basic modern one, a PCC & this. Game blurb says trams can't go backwards - all my museum's trams are double-ended. Presume they give you a turntable or you have to loop.

Virtually all UK trams were double-ended - I think the only exception was some on the Sheffield-Rotherham route which had loops both ends - they basically looked like trolleybuses on rails. I don't recall if the Blackpool trailer sets were bi-directional, though most terminating points on that network had loops.

The tradition in central and eastern Europe was to have a single cab and doors only on the right hand side in the direction of travel, so balloon loops were needed at every terminus and all platforms had to be on the outside of the tracks (with the occasional off-street exception where trams swapped to left hand running). Trams with unpowered trailers were quite common too. There has been some tendency to adopt double-ended trams on newer lines, including all of the many in France I think, and this is probably because of the difficulty in finding space for new loops. If the platform is on the loop the stepping distance will also make it inaccessible for wheelchair users and others. But countries like Germany are still buying single-ended vehicles in large numbers.

Whisky Papa

Virtually all UK trams were double-ended - I think the only exception was some on the Sheffield-Rotherham route which had loops both ends - they basically looked like trolleybuses on rails. I don't recall if the Blackpool trailer sets were bi-directional, though most terminating points on that network had loops.

The tradition in central and eastern Europe was to have a single cab and doors only on the right hand side in the direction of travel, so balloon loops were needed at every terminus and all platforms had to be on the outside of the tracks (with the occasional off-street exception where trams swapped to left hand running). Trams with unpowered trailers were quite common too. There has been some tendency to adopt double-ended trams on newer lines, including all of the many in France I think, and this is probably because of the difficulty in finding space for new loops. If the platform is on the loop the stepping distance will also make it inaccessible for wheelchair users and others. But countries like Germany are still buying single-ended vehicles in large numbers.
The space required for new turning loops is indeed large. Two have opened in recent months on the western side of Prague. One is a Dědina, tantalising close to the airport, and which stands on open ground but close to one of Prague's typical residential areas, and which features two tracks. Incidentally, the opening of this extension to routes 20 and 26 has meant that the unusual loop at Divoká Šárka has been reduced to a single track - previously it was double, with trams on the two routes using it in opposite directions. It is not now used in normal service.

Further south, the new loop at Slivenec stands in open fields, a five minute walk away from the village that bears its name, which involves passing under a busy dual-carriageway. The tram in the foreground is at the alighting platform in the first shot, the modern artic in the background was loading prior to departure. The bank seen behind the tram in the second photo is to shield the terminus from a local farmhouse, I believe. There are three tracks here, although only routes 4 and 5 have been extended to use it, and there is a staff rest room just off shot to the right. Each track will easily accommodate two tram workings (each an artic or a pair of T3s as here).

However, two other recent extensions have been to dead-end termini at Pankrác and Libuš, requiring the use of Prague's only class of double-ended tram, the Tatra T8, on routes 19 and roughly 50% of journeys on route 17 respectively. Also, for a few months before the Slivenec loop was completed, route 5 was extended to a temporary terminus at the stop before it, Holyně, which now boasts an unused scissors crossover!

Attachments

• Slivenec Nov 23 1.jpg
    Slivenec Nov 23 1.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Slivenec Nov 23 2.jpg
    Slivenec Nov 23 2.jpg
    576.9 KB · Views: 50
  • T8 at Karlovy lázně Nov 23.jpg
    T8 at Karlovy lázně Nov 23.jpg
    610.3 KB · Views: 50

stuu

Established Member
Some of the French cities have some fairly wild variants on the Citadis.
Absolutely. Marseilles is probably the weirdest, with it's nautical themed trams:
Marseille1.jpg

raafif

If you're after an exotic tram design, do an image search for "Al-ula tram".

I approve ! Is that an (open) bar at the back ?, maybe not in Riyadh but I'd put one there in my country.

I'm not surprised they built that berm in Slivenec, both people & dogs cringe when my tram screeches around a certain curve.:{

birchesgreen

Established Member
It'd be nice if you could slide the seat backs as you could in old trams so you can always sit in the direction of travel.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
The space required for new turning loops is indeed large. Two have opened in recent months on the western side of Prague. One is a Dědina, tantalising close to the airport, and which stands on open ground but close to one of Prague's typical residential areas, and which features two tracks. Incidentally, the opening of this extension to routes 20 and 26 has meant that the unusual loop at Divoká Šárka has been reduced to a single track - previously it was double, with trams on the two routes using it in opposite directions. It is not now used in normal service.

Further south, the new loop at Slivenec stands in open fields, a five minute walk away from the village that bears its name, which involves passing under a busy dual-carriageway. The tram in the foreground is at the alighting platform in the first shot, the modern artic in the background was loading prior to departure. The bank seen behind the tram in the second photo is to shield the terminus from a local farmhouse, I believe. There are three tracks here, although only routes 4 and 5 have been extended to use it, and there is a staff rest room just off shot to the right. Each track will easily accommodate two tram workings (each an artic or a pair of T3s as here).

However, two other recent extensions have been to dead-end termini at Pankrác and Libuš, requiring the use of Prague's only class of double-ended tram, the Tatra T8, on routes 19 and roughly 50% of journeys on route 17 respectively. Also, for a few months before the Slivenec loop was completed, route 5 was extended to a temporary terminus at the stop before it, Holyně, which now boasts an unused scissors crossover!

Only issue with getting from Dedina to the airport is that the closest terminal (T3) is only for private flights, T1/T2 which handle all public flights are the other side of the runway, so an approx. 1.5km tunnel would be needed.

Whisky Papa

Only issue with getting from Dedina to the airport is that the closest terminal (T3) is only for private flights, T1/T2 which handle all public flights are the other side of the runway, so an approx. 1.5km tunnel would be needed.
To do it in a straight line, yes. Obviously it is possible to reach T1/2 by going round the perimeter road as the bus routes do now, but it would be quite a lengthy extension. The fact that the 119 airport bus is being converted to trolleybus would seem to be an admission that trams or metro extensions to the airport are not in prospect any time soon.

Incidentally, I've only ever seen turboprop or smaller aircraft use the runway you refer to, the usual commercial runway is the one to the north of T1/2.

LYRobert

Turrn-round loops don't have to be squeezed into a single piece of land. Adjacent streets could be used, and often are.