• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Fareham to Richmond in the '90s

Status
Not open for further replies.

fairysdad

London, Surrey... bit of a blur round here...
Bit of an odd one this one, and probably not that historical really as it's only in the '90s, but still seems the most appropriate place to post (mods, feel free to move if not).

Back in the '90s, [cue BoJack Horseman theme...], Mum and I used to travel quite frequently from Fareham to Stamford Brook as part of an organisation that Mum was secretary of at the time. I have memories of changing to the Underground at Richmond, and I have memories of the zebra crossing outside of Stamford Brook station that we crossed to get from the station to the meeting venue, but not much else.

My question is thus: Were there ever any regular trains in service that would have taken us direct from Fareham to Richmond, or would we have changed somewhere? Looking at what things are like now, I think we must have changed at Clapham Junction, but I find it strange that I don't remember changing at such a huge station despite remembering little details like the change at Richmond and the zebra crossing at Stamford Brook. Admittedly I was under the age of 10 at the time, so it's probable I forgot, but just wondering if there were any alternative options!

(I know my memories of those journeys aren't completely accurate mind, as for many years I remembered Richmond station being laid out with the Underground tracks terminating end-on to the BR tracks - a bit like Ormskirk or Kirkby stations (not that I knew of them at the time!) whereas it's quite definitely not laid out like that!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Journeyman

Established Member
There have never been any direct services between Fareham and Richmond, so Clapham Junction would have been the most logical changing point. There doesn't seem to be any other particularly sensible route.

Gloster

Established Member
Would it have been possible to have chosen a ‘Not London’ route by going to Woking, and then changing there and at Weybridge? Would another change be needed, possibly at Staines?

Veteran Member
Would it have been possible to have chosen a ‘Not London’ route by going to Woking, and then changing there and at Weybridge? Would another change be needed, possibly at Staines?
That would depend on the year; it is a possible route but slower, and via Clapham Jn would be "not London" anyway.

I think that there are a couple of Waterloo Farnham peak services that go via Richmond so I would not rule it out. Otherwise a change at Ascot?

Teach me to read the forum without my glasses on. Please ignore above piffle

Status
Not open for further replies.