• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Festrail Round Robin from York

HST43257

Established Member
So this is a trip around 11 years in the making. Between gaps in my studies and in his work, and an 11 year search for a timetable with favourable (or even possible) timings, myself and my father finally managed to find a time where the stars aligned and we could make this mad trip happen. It’s perhaps been a strange obsession in some ways, cross-referencing national rail timetables and Festrail timetables to see whether any connections could work for too many years to feel sane. This trip took place on Tuesday, which was accompanied by lovely weather throughout. Couldn’t have hit more lucky.

So we started with the 0545 TPE service off York. With the overtime ban on, we got extremely lucky with the 0503 and 0617 cancelled (one either side of our train). After a ghostly silent journey to Newton-le-Willows (eavesdropping on revenue staff here, but they reckoned people had been put off by the strike despite only south TOCs striking on Tuesday), we hit lucky with a Leeds to Chester service being 30 late having started at Bradford (flooding I think?). So despite Newton-le-Willows having nothing going on when it comes to food, we took advantage of our unexpected 20 minutes in Warrington where we rushed to a nearby sandwich shop and the Aldi close by to pick up some excellent breakfast and some drinks. We then took the 0820 2 car 197 (some standing at first, well-filled service particularly up to Chester) to Llandudno, where we had a quick walk about in the 12 minutes we had there. Certainly one to return to methinks.

It was another 197 that took us onto Blaenau Ffestiniog. This route is really stunning imo and the 197 was surprisingly smooth despite the curvaceous route and quick braking (cheers animals on the line I think). What is somewhat comedic is that once you go through the bridge for the 2 miles before Blaenau you’re in this wonderland of scenery, but come out of the tunnel and suddenly you’re in what seems like a slate city wasteland. It’s telling that there’s a blob of non National Park in the Blaenau area. Anyway, we arrived nicely on time and crossed over to the Ffestiniog railway side to buy our tickets. A couple of failed attempts later, the lady had our Priv rate tickets ready and we’d successfully made the 1127 to 1140 connection with ease. It was a beautiful trip to Porthmadog in some very sunny conditions. We made sure to recreate a traditional family photo from the train whilst on the cob, which the family WhatsApp appreciated!

We had a good hour or so in Porthmadog, so after a bit of a walk we grabbed a bite from the local Chippy and made sure to fend off the gulls in their potential pursuits of our lunch. Citing the unfortunately majorly expensive ice cream stalls and stores, we opted for the less pricey shop Magnums but enjoyed them in the blazing sun regardless. We then boarded the 1405 Welsh Highland Railway service to Caernarfon. Once again, and probably even more so, what a spectacular Railway. Made more amusing with the bin drop of at Dinas (i think that makes sense). We rolled into Caernarfon a few minutes early (1621), but it wasn’t enough to make the earlier 5C bus at 1615 to Bangor (annoyingly punctual) that would’ve got us on the 1703 train back along the coast. We did take the 1635 5C, hoping for an outside chance of getting the 1703 if it happened to be the case. But that was made impossible when we turned into the Parc Menai(?) area. With each twist, turn and loop made, it became increasingly irritating as we knew we’d be subjected to a wait at Bangor.

After grabbing our evening meal for later in the journey from the nearby Morrisons, we rocked up to Bangor with 45 minutes or so until the 1807 service back along the coast. It was only whilst waiting on the station that I realised this was the once per day(?) nonstop Llandudno Jn to Chester service, which I find funny given it’s called at all the shacks between Holyhead and Llandudno Jn. Not even like there’s a connection straight behind for the intermediate stops, with the Llandudno to Man Airport stopper service a solid 20+ minutes behind. So after our nice fast (or as fast as you can get a longer there) journey to Chester, we moved straight onto our Chester to Leeds service, which we took to Man Vic before taking the TPE back across the Pennines. A really good set of connections, with 13 minutes at each of Chester and Man Vic. The plan had been to take that all the way back to York but with it going via Methley after Leeds, we made a late decision to rush across to the Blackpool to York service running around 10 late, so we got into York a solid 10 minutes earlier via the direct route.

So we can call it 12 hours of travel for 5 hours total on the Ffestiniog/at Porthmadog/on the Welsh Highland, but I was very glad to complete this ‘challenge’. Somehow nothing went wrong, and we even benefited from a couple of delayed trains resulting inadded bonuses of breakfast or early arrival home. The Ffestiniog and Welsh Highland single tickets together cost £14 with Adult rail staff Priv, so I recommend this for any rail staff (or anyone willing to let go of £56 plus other rail tickets), it’s an amazing day trip (though probably more sensible from Manchester, Cheshire or North Wales, a 17 hour trip from York isn’t advised).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Iskra

Established Member
That sounded a good trip. Certainly decent value at Priv rate, but I’m unconvinced about it at full price.

Did you manage to get any photo’s you could share?

X-City-WM

I have tentatively planned a similar trip (albeit from Birmingham) for around 9 years.

However, I always opt to break it up and extend the trip by stopping in Porthmadog and/or Caernarfon.

Maybe one day I'll do the whole route in one day.

I agree that photos would be nice.

perkin

It’s telling that there’s a blob of non National Park in the Blaenau area.
Slightly off-thread, but the reason for this is not landscape related (it's actually part of a World Heritage Site due to it's industrial history) but was to allow the development of industry to replace the slate mining which was in decline when the National Park was established.

mangyiscute

Established Member
For anyone without staff rates, there's a wonderful ticket called the FFESTINIOG ROUND ROBIN which offers a round trip from Manchester/Liverpool/Birmingham to the Ffestiniog railway, a single from Porthmadog to Blaenau Ffestiniog and then return travel to your origin for under £45 (or under £30 with railcard)!
You can travel either way round the circuit - when I did it (from Reading) I travelled up to Birmingham, then went to Porthmadog, Ffestiniog rail up to Blaenau and then back via Llandudno (also making that non stop train that op caught).
It doesn't offer a ride on the Welsh Highland railway, but overall I think this is an amazing value ticket compared to the normal prices of the Ffestiniog railway.