• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FGW diversions on Feb Saturdays

Status
Not open for further replies.
just noticed this on national rail enquiries. On sats i can get a FGW service from Carmarthen at 09.35 to destinations towards London. In February some of these services are leaving Cmn at 09.20 due to engineering works at Patchway, and being diverted at Newport and arriving at Swindon as the next stop. which way is this going? Gloucester way i'd imagine

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
yep gloucester sounds about right, the only other way after newport (except via the tunnel obviously) is via hereford but that's one hell of a journey and only happened over the newport - gloucester blockade.

according to the timetable i think it's adding about 20-30mins for arrival at Swindon. some of the suggested returns from Swindon are saying Swindon - Bristol TM then Newport.

thefab444

Established Member
Generally if South Wales trains divert via Gloucester, they'll call additionally at Gloucester, Stonehouse, Stroud and Kemble, as they take up the paths of the Paddington - Swindon - Cheltenham services.

Sat 20th Feb, on rail enquiries is showing the 9.35 Carmarthen to London Paddington to actually call at Patchway, but not Bristol Parkway. So i guess it's going down Bristol TM - Bath - via Box tunnel to Swindon. sound right?

Ivo

Established Member
Sounds right to me! So far as I can tell - I may be wrong - the line east of the CrossCountry route is closed, so to serve Parkway would involve a needless and time-consuming reversal. CrossCountry trains are calling at Parkway (mostly!). It'll be odd seeing non-stopping HSTs here... [EDIT: "Here" = Bath. Just to clarify.]

Last edited:
But I think the diversion means the HST's will not be going via Parkway so it's not a case of seeing them not stopping there.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
did end up riding this on Sat. FGW made a stop at Patchway for passengers to change for a bus to Bristol P'way. The HST made it's way down past Filton, then bearing left at Dr. Days junction and heading for Bath Spa. After Box tunnel it passed Chippenham, before joining the main line again at Wootton Basset junc. and on to Swindon, which was my destination. bonus of the day was the "Great Western Incursion" double headed steam tour, which came back from Didcot around 16.20.

Status
Not open for further replies.