• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Final Stage - MMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All

I've trawled the forum and read loads of useful posts about the MMI, and noticed how different companies like to do the assessments / driver manager interview / multi modal interview in different orders.

I applied a few months ago as a trainee driver; I have passed the assessment day, passed the DMI (which was very lengthy and I was asked competency questions), and finally have the MMI in a few days time. I have already filled in the questions on paper as part of the assessment day so believe this is what I will be questioned on in the MMI.

I wondered if anyone can give me any guidance as to what to expect for the MMI, and I've heard that it's conducted by a psychologist? After this it's just the medical. Any advice would be appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Need2

Hi All

I've trawled the forum and read loads of useful posts about the MMI, and noticed how different companies like to do the assessments / driver manager interview / multi modal interview in different orders.

I applied a few months ago as a trainee driver; I have passed the assessment day, passed the DMI (which was very lengthy and I was asked competency questions), and finally have the MMI in a few days time. I have already filled in the questions on paper as part of the assessment day so believe this is what I will be questioned on in the MMI.

I wondered if anyone can give me any guidance as to what to expect for the MMI, and I've heard that it's conducted by a psychologist? After this it's just the medical. Any advice would be appreciated!

I did my assessments, the mmi then the dmi (all with southeastern)
The dmi with SWT is a very intense MMI again. (I found it harder than the original mmi!)
Psychologist I very much doubt, the guy who did mine (at southeastern) looked younger than my kids! I must be getting old :D:D
There's plenty of info on this forum about them, they are questions (approx 5-6) about your life experiences ie "give an example of when you went the extra mile to help someone" or (my favourite) "give an example of when you had a disagreement with your manager and how was it resolved"
Have a read up, the info is here.

Last edited:
I will be following this thread with Interest. I am due my DMI next week ( having past my assessment last week. )To be honest I was more concerned about passing the assessment tests, and was not too worried about the DMI and MMI , but after reading posts on here I am becoming more worried ! I am quite a confident person, with a fair bit of customer facing pressure experience. I don't usually get anxious or intimidated in interviews, but am starting to really worry . From what I have read , they are looking for certain responses to the questions that they pose, so although I may give a factually correct response, If I don't phrase it correctly then I may not tick all the right boxes . brightonjosh88, how did you feel the interview was going at the time? I have read that people came out thinking all had gone well, but didn't make the grade. Thank you for any responses.

Last edited:

Need2

I will be following this thread with Interest. I am due my DMI next week ( having past my assessment last week. To be honest I was more concerned about passing the assessment tests, and was not too worried about the DMI and MMI , but after reading posts on here I am becoming more worried ! I am quite a confident person, with a fair bit of customer facing pressure experience. I don't usually get anxious or intimidated in interviews, but am starting to really worry . From what I have read , they are looking for certain responses to the questions that they pose, so although I may give a factually correct response, If I don't phrase it correctly then I may not tick all the right boxes . brightonjosh88, how did you feel the interview was going at the time? I have read that people came out thinking all had gone well, but didn't make the grade. Thank you for any responses.

What TOC is it with?

Need2

Thameslink .

Can't help with the way they run things there. All I can say is that with Southeastern the DMI was more along the the lines of a 'standard good ole' fashioned' type interview with the occasional "give an example of" type question.
SWT was, as I said before a real intense MMI type and went really in depth.
One theme was common though, really swat up on the company. Facts,figures, CEO etc etc. Anything that shows you have used a bit of initiative and researched the company.

Best of luck mate.

Thank you Need2. I will be doing lots of research , I would hate to fail because of lack of effort !

I will be following this thread with Interest. I am due my DMI next week ( having past my assessment last week. )To be honest I was more concerned about passing the assessment tests, and was not too worried about the DMI and MMI , but after reading posts on here I am becoming more worried ! I am quite a confident person, with a fair bit of customer facing pressure experience. I don't usually get anxious or intimidated in interviews, but am starting to really worry . From what I have read , they are looking for certain responses to the questions that they pose, so although I may give a factually correct response, If I don't phrase it correctly then I may not tick all the right boxes . brightonjosh88, how did you feel the interview was going at the time? I have read that people came out thinking all had gone well, but didn't make the grade. Thank you for any responses.

I felt the interview went really well to be honest (the DMI) and was in there for a good 90 minutes. Just have this final part, the multi modal interview to do. Wondering how it differs to the DMI

Need2

I felt the interview went really well to be honest (the DMI) and was in there for a good 90 minutes. Just have this final part, the multi modal interview to do. Wondering how it differs to the DMI

In my case the Southeastern MMI was the same as the SWT DMI (only not as fierce) so cannot say.
You could do with somebody who has had an MMI with Thameslink quite recently to answer!

GMT

In my case the Southeastern MMI was the same as the SWT DMI (only not as fierce) so cannot say.
You could do with somebody who has had an MMI with Thameslink quite recently to answer!

I failed my MMI with Thameslink in October. It was just my fault, as I don't think I prepared the answers in the best way. Plus perhaps some of the examples/situations were weak. I messed up completely with the rules and procedures answer. Big time.

Anyway, the interviewer was OK, he grilled me a bit but it certainly wasn't a police interrogation. It lasted for an hour, and although I was a disaster time flew by all the same.

I found the DMI, which I passed, not as difficult as the MMI. Much more informal. But in my opinion at the DMI impressions count; it counts a lot whether they like you or not.

MMI = My Martyrdom Interview :)

Gekko5154

The MMI is done by members of the HR department. The MMI consists of you writing brief answers to 6 questions which you would then have to elaborate on during the actual interview. You will only get asked those 6 questions. The MMI is only intense if you make it that way. I would suggest getting to grips with the roles and responsibilities of a train driver so that you can incorporate them into your own aswers. Make sure to structure each of your answers using the STAR format. Try not to waffle and make sure you are clear and concise. My MMI lasted about 25mins....if that and they didn't dig for more which meant I had prepared well using the above.

Need2

The MMI is done by members of the HR department. The MMI consists of you writing brief answers to 6 questions which you would then have to elaborate on during the actual interview. You will only get asked those 6 questions. The MMI is only intense if you make it that way. I would suggest getting to grips with the roles and responsibilities of a train driver so that you can incorporate them into your own aswers. Make sure to structure each of your answers using the STAR format. Try not to waffle and make sure you are clear and concise. My MMI lasted about 25mins....if that and they didn't dig for more which meant I had prepared well using the above.

My MMI with Southeastern was about the same length of time, the DMI with SWT seemed to be eternal!
Did you pass?

Gekko5154

Yeah I passed and have a start date in March pending a medical which is set for next week.

Lasbrisas

Do we know what they look for in the medical ie what would you fail on as I am going through this process and not exactly a spring chicken.

MEN1969

I can tell you what they do on the medical if that helps.
Drugs/Alcohol test
Eye Test/Colour blind test
Blood pressure
Height and weight
Hearing test
ECG
Balance test
Coordination test
General questions on past health problems/issues
Hope that helps.
I passed and I too am no spring chicken

Last edited:
I can tell you what they do on the medical if that helps.
Drugs/Alcohol test
Eye Test/Colour blind test
Blood pressure
Height and weight
Hearing test
ECG
Balance test
Coordination test
General questions on past health problems/issues
Hope that helps.
I passed and I too am no spring chicken

Do they write to your Dr's for medical records? I heard that they do, I can't remember the last time I went to the Doctor and am not even totally sure that I am still registered with one.

MEN1969

I'm not sure, I did the medical on a Tuesday and was told I had past by the Friday, so they would have to be pretty quick.

I'm not sure, I did the medical on a Tuesday and was told I had past by the Friday, so they would have to be pretty quick.

Doesn't sound like it then, I did a quick Google and it reckons that it can take up to 40 days to provide medical records !! :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.