• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class on FCC (TL route)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon0844

Veteran Member
This weekend, me and the wife went to Brighton - went down on FCC and came back on Southern (on account of the fact there was the weekend blockade AND the Northern Line wasn't stopping at King's Cross I believe).

Left Friday evening at 6pm, to get train from Farringdon to Brighton. I'd paid £5 each for a (Gold Card) 1st class upgrade so wanted to ensure we got a 377 and got SOME value from it.

I haven't used the TL route for some time, bar the odd late night service, and can see why FCC commuters are so angry if this was in any way representative of a normal evening peak service. There had been signalling problems at St Pancras and our train arrived 25 minutes late. Is this is a sign of problems to come when they ever try and run 20 or 24tph and something goes wrong through the core?? I do hope the platforms at the finished Farringdon station will be made a lot wider as there was no room to move about by the time it came in.

Anyway, upon boarding the train and going into first class - it was almost full and we got seats only because people were more keen on standing, and two seats were occupied by bags which we asked to be moved. A 377 doesn't have many seats in each compartment, but it was quite likely to me that it was made up of commuters who had 'upgraded' themselves. This got me thinking, FCC declassified all first class compartments during the driver 'dispute'. Besides commuters just wanting to get on (by London Bridge, first class was rammed), I wonder how many still think they CAN go in there still? Has FCC made it quite clear that the restrictions are back in place?

Anyway, by East Croydon it emptied a little and the journey was fairly pleasant. Still nicer than sitting in standard and we got chatting to some interesting people. All in all, a nice start to the weekend.

On the way back, we took Southern to Victoria - and were treated to free tea as we had first class tickets! I am not sure if a £5 supplement qualified us for this, but who were we to argue? I only wish I'd been cheeky and asked what else we could get (free biscuits perhaps?!). A guard came by very soon after and, funnily enough, nobody upgraded themselves to FC as a result. What a difference - the wife was most impressed and spoke of wanting to use the train much more in the future, as it is so much more relaxing than driving.

I do wonder why FCC has first class in operation at peak times, or perhaps any time! Clearly you'd use FCC if you worked in the city, but the journey to/from Victoria is so much more civilised and you might actually get a seat and be able to get some work done.

Now all that needs to be done is to fix the track to make it less bumpy!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bengolding

Travelled on FCC TL First Class numerous times in recent years between City Thameslink and Luton Airport Parkway. Not sure if the tarins have changed since then, but the fasts had a lovely 2+1 configuration in the end First compartment with only 9 seats.

Got rather irate after a while and ditched the train, after it quickly became obvious that First Class was often a free for all full of chavs at certain times. On many other occasions, the advertised fasts turned out to be 4 x Standard carriages (used on the Wimbledon loop). Revenue Protection was practically non existent (many stations along the route have barriers). Ironically, on my last journey late last year, a RPI boarded and a few surprised folk were treated to a Penalty Fare and possible subsequent presecution. I wonder if FCC TL still has the same lack of revenue protection on board as LM do south of Northampton?

Talking of FCC TL, are more commuters now opting for fast EMT services upstairs to Luton Airport/Luton and Bedford? Overcrowding on trains to these destinations at peak times were horrendous (even in First), and I hate to think what it's like now, especially when EMT treat customers to a single short Meridian at peak time.

jon0844

Veteran Member
The 377s have 10 seats in FC. I know FCC is sub-leasing their trains from Southern, but I'm surprised that at least one of the odd single seats wasn't made for putting luggage - given trains pass two airports. Couldn't it have at least been a temporary modification?

Besides all the people standing in FC, there were loads of bags for people to negotiate. Surely a train serving airports is likely to get people using it that have flown first class and want to continue using first class - but fit their suitcase somewhere? Would you leave it out in the vestibule, out of sight and behind a sliding door?

DavyCrocket

The 377s have 10 seats in FC. I know FCC is sub-leasing their trains from Southern, but I'm surprised that at least one of the odd single seats wasn't made for putting luggage - given trains pass two airports. Couldn't it have at least been a temporary modification?

Besides all the people standing in FC, there were loads of bags for people to negotiate. Surely a train serving airports is likely to get people using it that have flown first class and want to continue using first class - but fit their suitcase somewhere? Would you leave it out in the vestibule, out of sight and behind a sliding door?

There's not that many people using First/Business on flights from Gatwick or Luton. I don't even think that their are First suites on any flights from there!
I'd guess that the passengers would then get a car transfer rather than slumming a train!

Quite agree that the FCC first class is naff and the lack of revenue control does annoy me as a season ticket holder!

Status
Not open for further replies.