• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Class on the Bakerloo Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom

The system defaults to saying "first and standard" for any train which it doesn't have the information for.

Not quite - it's due to being compliant with the specification. The CIF specification states that a blank field for a service is one that conveys first & standard class accommodation. For just standard class only, it should be coded with an "S".

simple simon

1st Class is available in the centre section of the motor cars, between the double leaf doors...

I assume that these passengers have the more valuable Pearl cards, rather than Oysters?

---------------------------------------

Did tube trains ever have first class? (apart from the Finsbury Park - Moorgate route),

Simon

CatfordCat

I assume that these passengers have the more valuable Pearl cards, rather than Oysters?

---------------------------------------

Did tube trains ever have first class? (apart from the Finsbury Park - Moorgate route),

Simon

If we are talking strictly 'tube' I am fairly sure the answer's no.

If you mean 'London Underground' then some of the 'sub surface' bits (parts of today's Metropolitan and possibly District) lines did at one time. From memory, I think this was abolished as a temporary measure early in WW2 and never reintroduced.

christopher

Wasn't there even a Pullman train on the Metropolitan at one point? I'm sure I've seen pictures in a book somewhere.

simple simon

I think they were named Galatea and Mayflower.

As is normal fro Pullmans there was a supplementary fare to travel on them.

They only operated north of Baker Street / I've never seen it said that they ever travelled over the route to Aldgate.

simple simon

You've got to love the internet - was remembering some District line carriages with partitions within the carriages that used to mark out first class sections and the Wikipedia entry for the O and P stock has a great picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Underground_O_and_P_Stock

If you look inside the COP car carefully you can also see the decorative half moon glass on the seat back of the two further transverse seats.

Certainly the image on the left was taken at Upminster; its possible that the other one was as well - to know for sure I'd need to refer to the 35mm film negatives in my negative file.

I just wish that I'd filmed more of these trains, and what I did film had been filmed better, especially with my super 8 camera - I also tried recording sound using my portable 'ghetto blaster' radio cassette machine* but it let me down. On other trains (1962 tube stock and BR slam door trains out of Liverpool St) I used a walkman type cassette machine, but probably the reason I did not do this with the subsurface CO/CP/R stock trains is that they'd already been withdrawn before I bought the Walkman device.

anyway, one day I'll find the time to create a webpage with everything I have and also make a youtube version. Which reminds me, I'm about to digitise some 1990 footage from Embankment - 1959, 1972 tube stock and more. Then all I need is an S stock train from that station and I can create another 'contrasts' video for my youtube channel (citytransportinfo).

*This was done from the lineside near Kew Gardens station, where I also attempted to record class 501 and 416 trains on the North London Line. I still have the cassette tape but dont remember which train was which! Ditto for 1938 tube stock and Class 501 trains near to Carpenders Park station.

Simon

ps: has anyone ever seen decent photos of the trains used on the Southend Corridor Express Ealing Broadway - Southend On Sea through trains? I assume that these too offered 1st class accomodation.

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The system defaults to saying "first and standard" for any train which it doesn't have the information for. For instance the Stockport to Stalybridge parliamentary service is shown as having first class despite normally being a Pacer.

If recent news stories are correct then soon there will be three classes of rail travel again - first, standard and sardine tin steerage.

:mad:

Simon

Last edited:

GodAtum

On Moderation
Maybe they should have 1st on the Jubilee line. i'm sure many 1st class holders travel into London Bridge then take the tube into Canary Wharf. it would be nice to have 1st class for the whole journey.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
How could one enforce 1st class on the tube without it costing more than it raises, though? Aside from the reduction in capacity...

Status
Not open for further replies.