• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Dorset X53

Status
Not open for further replies.

xc170

I remember a few years ago the First Dorset X53 as being one of the longest routes in the country joining Weymouth and Exeter, looking at the timetable these days it's been cut back to Axminster, can anyone confirm when this happened and why?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peterblue

It used to go farther, in fact, from Poole all the way to Exeter.

There's now 2 hourly services from Axminster - Lyme Regis - Bridport - Dorchester/Weymouth (hourly Axminster-Bridport). Now there's only 4 journeys a day from Weymouth to Poole.

It is possible to get from Exeter to either Axminster or Lyme Regis by bus, albeit you would have to use Stagecoach SW instead.

peterblue

Many long distance routes across the country have been split up or cut back, partly for reliability reasons. There's a few more examples in the South East such as the Wave route and the 700 coastliner route

dgl

Established Member
I believe it was mainly for cost reasons, originally the X53 was supported by Devon/Dorset County Council and was what paid for the first two rounds of buses (the 04 Scania Omnnideckkers, and the 08 Wright Gemini Deckers).
This service now has to be run commercially by First and as such needed to be made as cost efficient as possible, the reliability of such a long route mustn't be good for running a profitable service, plus having both the X53/51 buses connecting with trains at Axminster is a good idea.

xc170

It used to go farther, in fact, from Poole all the way to Exeter.

I thought it did but couldn't remember where it started, thinking back to when I used it, I even caught it from Poole!

I believe it was mainly for cost reasons, originally the X53 was supported by Devon/Dorset County Council and was what paid for the first two rounds of buses (the 04 Scania Omnnideckkers, and the 08 Wright Gemini Deckers).
This service now has to be run commercially by First and as such needed to be made as cost efficient as possible, the reliability of such a long route mustn't be good for running a profitable service, plus having both the X53/51 buses connecting with trains at Axminster is a good idea.

I suppose it makes sense, I can't imagine many passengers, except enthusiasts, doing the full route.

richard13

The X53 ran 2 hourly to Exeter through the summer of 2015. That September's change reduced it to 3 trips a day partly supporting a few students from Bridport / Lyme Regis etc into Exeter.

The route was created with subsidies as part of the Jurassic Coast project. When the subsidies stopped the route was not economic. In summer the main passengers were OAPs on ENCTS passes travelling long distances - a nice scenic day out for free! The rest of the year was a bit quiet. There were always issues with supporting the route from Bridport and congestion delays, which could be substantial, causing drivers' hours problems as well as passenger problems. (I know Axminster to Dorchester X51 has 25 mins running time added for the summer and the X53 must be similar)

The route was also split at Weymouth from the Poole section, as local timing was more important than through operation and has been developed in its own right with the X55 since. Stagecoach extended their 9 as 9A through to Lyme Regis from Sidmouth and run from Sidmouth depot (before or after?). There are fast journeys avoiding Sidmouth on the AVMT 52 shopping service subsidised by Devon and a single X9 from Lyme Regis in the morning peak (subsidised or persuasion by Devon?). AVMT has also extended their 885 to Beer, but withdrawn the 899 (except schools) from Lyme Regis.

Sad,but the ENCTS passes made it a free tourist attraction for a certain age group, which was not in short supply. The outcome has however been a sustained improvement on the Bridport to Weymouth section, which historically had almost no service.

njlawley

The X53 was cut in May 2016. The X52 was introduced to cover the service to/from Exeter, whilst the X54 served the Poole - Weymouth part. If I recall correctly, this was done so that consistent times could be provided on the far reaches, as the timetable on the core part of the route sees journey times substantially increased in the summer season due to the holiday traffic.

That would have helped with duty lengths and avoiding journeys being dropped or cut short due to running out of legal driving hours. Plus the Exeter part wasn't the most well used part of the service, so when the decision was made, it was easy enough to drop entirely.

Likewise, changes have been made to the X54 to try and keep it sustainable, like withdrawing it at weekends over the winter, and diverting it to serve Lulworth. I doubt the latter would have been a sustainable idea when the X53 was running Exeter - Poole.

LancasterRed

I find the X53's problem is a lack of frequency, from my experiences you'll struggle to get a seat and it isn't exactly safe when going between Bridport and Chickerell if you're stood up.

Interestingly the X54 used to run around the Seaton-Exeter area so seeing the X52 run that now while the X54 (not the X55!) runs Weymouth-Poole

xc170

I wasn't expecting so many detailed replies to this, thanks all!

Yes, in regards to ENCTS users on this route, when I did it last in 2012, I recall my travelling companions were almost exclusively people of a certain age.

jcrwey

They Weymouth to Poole section is X54. However for the past few summer seasons (May to Sept) an X55 service has also run in addition from Weymouth to Lulworth Cove, Monkey World and Bovington Tank Museum.

The X51 and X53 summer uplifted services will start at the beginning of May. Many journeys are interworked with school routes now.

The services are now normally in the hands of the ex-Greenline 702 B9 gemini vehicles (63 reg and one 58 reg) that ran into London. These are high spec with plugs, leather seats and tables. The 08 Geminis are also still on the route. One running board is allocated as one of the former Gosport Eclipse B7RLEs, normally 69547 or 69551. One journey each morning on the X51 is allocated as a Streetlite.

Most of the 04 Scania Omnidekkas have recently been unexpectedly withdrawn with corrison issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.