• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First Great Western medical - What should I expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notrevel93

Hey all!

First Great Western have offered me a conditional job offer for a carriage cleaner and Shunter position I applied for several months ago. I attended an interview last week and they called me last Friday to say I needed to pass a medical and drugs test at some point in the next couple of weeks.

I'm very curious about what to expect at this test, as well as excited about the possibility of having a job on the railway which has always been a childhood dream of mine.

If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

junior_7178

Bend over, finger up the bottom. Job done?

On a more serious note, well done. Was this for Exeter or OOC?

Last edited:

Andy-mc

Not sure on FGW but From my experience it will be:
Drugs test (pee in a cup)
Eye test (classic white board with the letters getting smaller)
Colour blind test (the book with the bubbly coloured numbers)
BMI (height and weight taken)
Hearing test (pair of headphones pressing a button when hearing high and low tones)
ECG (get wired up to a machine)
Blood pressure (the tight air filled arm band)
Hand eye co-ordination (touch your nose with your finger)

As for junior's finger up the bottom I think that depends on the doctor or maybe TOC :lol:

Last edited:

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Andy-mc's reply concurs with my memories of the FGW medical in Bristol. There will not be any interface between bottom and finger!

Notrevel93

Bend over, finger up the bottom. Job done?

On a more serious note, well done. Was this for Exeter or OOC?

The job's in Exeter and as for the finger up the bum, I think my partner would laugh herself sick if that happened.

As for the BMI thing, is it anything to really worry about? I'm about 6 foot 4 and about 21.5 stone and I don't have any trouble with my weight.

Notrevel93

Not a clue yet. They're hopefully going to arrange the medical in the next two weeks and they'll organise a start date after that.

LWB

FWIW - opiates( including codeine) are detectable up to at least 4 weeks and sometimes 8 weeks after use. This from a defence contractor's medical screen exam. Put a stop to the family borrowing my prescription Tylex!

Status
Not open for further replies.