first Kernow

Discussion in 'Buses & Coaches' started by RPI, 21 Jul 2014.

1. RPI

RPI Member

Doesn't seem to be a specific thread for First's Cornish operations in general.
    Some news is that First will be running the 21, currently WG 521 between St Austell and Newquay from September

2. SWTH

SWTH Member

Out of interest where did you hear this?

3. TheGrandWazoo

TheGrandWazoo Established Member

Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
    My question too.....can we have a source as that would be a very intriguing development?

4. SWTH

SWTH Member

Nothing in the last two N&P's.

5. South Westerly

South Westerly Member

Competitive shot across WGLs bows in return for a few recent WGL incursions...

6. matt_splat

matt_splat Member

if this is true would be a interesting development.

It would be intresting to see what would happen if first did go up against western greyhound could it be the final nail in the coffin?

Cornish busways make some intresting comments on the facebook page surrounding the service 29

7. swifty

swifty Established Member

I noticed a registration for an 89 service along the same route as the 597 last week, is this an enhancement of the Truro - Newquay leg alongside the 88?

8. RPI

RPI Member

Can't reveal my source, just watch this space. ;)
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    The 88 between Truro and Falmouth is to become the U1 and U2 using 12 plate enviro 400's from Plymouth, but someone has already mentioned this somewhere on here, not sure what will replace them in Plymouth though.

9. swifty

swifty Established Member

The B7Ls from Somerset by the looks if it, they're due a refurb and repaint in due course ;)

10. SWTH

SWTH Member

I've just checked the latest N&P (8th July) and there's nothing listed in sections 3.1 to 3.4 for a service 89 by FDC?

It'd be interesting to see if First do try and compete, it would however be a complete reversal of their strategy for the last decade of concentrating on everything west of Truro with only a few minor extensions (i.e the 88 and 27) further east.

11. richw

richw Established Member

I've been given this information by a First Kernow employee. He says U1 and U2 will by the 88 and 41 respectively. They will have a separate branding and their own livery, believed to be an all over blue but unconfirmed as yet.

12. South Westerly

South Westerly Member

There is of course a difference between competing head to head, and putting a shot across the bows. I guess that First has suffered from its competitors assuming it will just roll over for them and therefore needs to send a message out that it won't. Looks like it is FDC where the message is strongest - in Plymouth against GoAhead with the 6 and all the fares etc, in Somerset against Webberbus with the fares and from this weekend a serious assault on their routes, and now in Cornwall with WGL. They certainly don't appear to be afraid to hit back and pretty effectively.

13. richw

richw Established Member

16th July a large number of applications were made, the interesting ones are below:

PH0004983/187 - FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7JT
    Variation Accepted: Operating between FALMOUTH Moor and TRURO Treliske Hospital/NEWQUAY Bus Station given service number U1/231/233/U3 effective from 07-Sep-2014. To amend Route and Timetable.

PH0004983/498 - FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7JT
    Registration Accepted
    Starting Point: Truro Bus Station
    Finish Point: Newquay, Manor Park Bus Station
    Via: Trispen, Quintrell Downs
    Service Number: 89
    Service Type: Normal Stopping
    Effective Date: 07-SEP-2014
    Other Details: Monday to Saturday except public holidays.

PH0004983/179 - FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW, PLYMOUTH, PL9 7JT
    Variation Accepted: Operating between Troon Square and Falmouth Hotel given service number U2 effective from 07-Sep-2014. To amend Timetable.

The U1, U2 & U3 are all apparently going to have their own branding and livery, rumoured to be all over blue.

There are a number of cancellations in Plymouth, maybe explains where we are getting the Enviros from.

Last edited: 22 Jul 2014
  14. TheGrandWazoo

There are two questions that spring to mind.

A) Still nothing official on First appearing on the 21/521 whether that be from the company or via VOSA etc
    B) Assuming that the E400s are taken to Cornwall, what replaces them on the Tavistock service and how does that play with the long term future of First Devon?

15. richw

richw Established Member

Accepted by the traffic commissioner on 16th July, due to start 7th September.

16. SWTH

SWTH Member

Ah, found them. Thanks.

The 89 doesn't appear to follow the same route as the 597 judging by the basic registration details showing the route to be through Quintrell Downs (597 does not serve QD). Looks almost like a re numbering/replacement for the 88.

17. RPI

RPI Member

18. Busaholic

Busaholic Established Member

19. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

So it looks like abit of a 2 birds one stone situation, with the splitting of the 88.

20. TheGrandWazoo

Every 30 mins Truro to Newquay. Putting a squeeze on WGL?

21. richw

richw Established Member

12 plate Enviros have arrived at Falmouth for the Redruth and Truro routes. Seen today on driver training.

22. SWTH

SWTH Member

The 89/90 is interesting, I wonder what their fares will be?

WGL charge £1.80 AD SGL (£2.60 RTN) from Newquay to St Columb Minor, if First price match then some people may wait for them instead. However, going on current experience with the 88 through Treloggan most passengers will probably stick with WGL because of the higher service frequency (2bph as opposed to First's 1). Henver Road sees up to 5bph, and that sort of flexibility is a big plus to passengers.

However, on the question of Newquay to Truro, First may well have people switching over to them if their fares are reasonable.

23. richw

richw Established Member

I expect first to price in line with their existing route.

Currently £5 single and £7.50 return Newquay to Truro.

24. RPI

RPI Member

Yeah, looks like my source wasn't right on this occasion lol!
    I thought Newquay to Truro was £4.00/£6.00?

25. richw

richw Established Member

I thought it went up in January. All other routes of similar and even less distance are £5.00/£7.50

26. nickw1

nickw1 Member

Why would a service run *except* peak periods? Seems strange that one of these (the 89) runs only during off-peak periods. Is there something else which takes its place in the peak?

Last edited: 15 Aug 2014
  27. TheGrandWazoo

Something to utilise a school bus?

28. richw

richw Established Member

Got it in one, once all the Enviros are here, a majority of the Olympians will be Truro College runs with a couple of journeys whilst they are idle between 9 and 4.

29. 83G/84D

83G/84D Established Member

Not too far from goongumpas treacle mine!
    33662 & 33665 seen at Camborne parked up this morning. No sign of any route branding or livery variations although I could not get a good look at them as they were round the back of the depot.
    33661 seen heading from Camborne to Truro this lunchtime.

30. richw

richw Established Member

The Enviros are part of a tender made by university Falmouth. The contract won by first includes a maximum vehicle age hence the swap on ageing tridents for the Enviros. The contract is for 5 years, but the Enviros will exceed the age limit well within that time frame,