• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baza585

Their short length and resultant low capacity has been a problem. That’s why they left Bristol. FHD spent quite a time sorting these out as they weren’t in the best of nick on leaving Bath.
Understatement of the year. Much fettling was required. Most ex Bath stuff isn't in the best of nick in my experience.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Understatement of the year. Much fettling was required. Most ex Bath stuff isn't in the best of nick in my experience.

Didn’t want to be too harsh. I remember traveling on 44919 (I think) in 2014 and couldn’t believe how bad it was for a 5 year old machine, with the proverbial “shaking like a s**tting dog” when idling!

vicbury

What are they like now? Caught one in Portsmouth maybe a couple of years ago and it seemed in much better condition.

richw

Veteran Member
They’re only 10cm longer but presumably somewhat wider than the Jersey Darts but I imagine they should be able to work most of the same workings

83G/84D

Established Member
Atlantic Coaster 33233 on service T2 this morning and Mousehole Solo 53704 on service 46.

44920 and 44921 are in Camborne along with Trident 33056, the latter from Hampshire or Dorset I believe.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Trident on the A1 this afternoon Penzance bound direction with destination showing as 'St Buryan via Gwavas'. It appeared to be the journey due at the bus station at 14.30 ish and wasn't running late'.

baza585

Didn’t want to be too harsh. I remember traveling on 44919 (I think) in 2014 and couldn’t believe how bad it was for a 5 year old machine, with the proverbial “shaking like a s**tting dog” when idling!
Quote of the week that, but pretty accurate. They have been improved by Hilsea, but still have the short Dart choppy riding problem, and are not a great passenger experience TBH.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
A Tinner on the A1 this morning, another on the U4 this afternoon, but, between the sightings, a Dart on the T1.

MB162435

Established Member
Dennis Trident on U3 duties this evening and Atlantic Coasters Trident 33234 parked up at Falmouth Moor before departing 'Not in Service' to the depot at 17:30

It seems as if Buses of Somerset and Buses of Taunton are sending their Urbans elsewhere, and are wanting Darts and Solos instead..

Speaking of Somerset and Taunton, they don't have many president bodied tridents left, wouldn't blame 'em as most of the older batches of Tridents left around Devon & Cornwall will most likely go for scrap after the 1st of March, as if you look on the DVLA's records, most if not all of their tax ends on the day.

Cannot wait for our Scania E400 MMCs though! 19 of them! in the Kernow Green! On 18 Plates!

317 forever

Established Member
Think you may have a long wait if it’s the moquette that you hope will disappear altogether. I suspect that there’ll always be the requirement to cascade older deckers for schools from across the group.

Maybe I shall come once a majority of normal daytime service buses excluding school work have bespoke liveries and maybe interiors too.

mic

It seems as if Buses of Somerset and Buses of Taunton are sending their Urbans elsewhere, and are wanting Darts and Solos instead..

Speaking of Somerset and Taunton, they don't have many president bodied tridents left, wouldn't blame 'em as most of the older batches of Tridents left around Devon & Cornwall will most likely go for scrap after the 1st of March, as if you look on the DVLA's records, most if not all of their tax ends on the day.

Cannot wait for our Scania E400 MMCs though! 19 of them! in the Kernow Green! On 18 Plates!
so good to hear i am down in st ives for a week in June for the buses hope they are in service then

MrKnow

One of the Blue Falmouth MMC's made a very rare appearance on the 37 to The Lizard this morning, I believe it was due to a breakdown with another bus

MB162435

Established Member
Uni E400 MMC 33472 was on the 16:25 231 service from Truro College to Falmouth Moor, whereas fellow Uni E400 33420 was on the 16:25 238 service from Truro College to Long Rock

83G/84D

Established Member
Withdrawn Trident 32844 seems to have gone from Camborne at some point in recent days. It was there last Wednesday but no longer visible today.
Vario 56004 parked here all day with a defect sticker on the windscreen.

Accelerator59

Just saw 44920 heading towards or out of St. Day. Potentially on a 47 route but the blind wasn’t working properly. New buses look very nice and according to FK they’re ADLs not Scanias

Guys, you better start taking more photos of the V---HBY, T---LLC, and T---KLF batches of trident, as after the 1st of march, you aren't going to see many more in service (they're all going elsewhere), and try to nab lots of nimbuses as they're replacing them with new single deckers (unknown model), The nimbuses are going up to Glasgow for either scrap or further use, and the tridents will most likely go for scrap or to Somerset or Essex.

Edit: They're either getting more than five single deckers or it's something else they're getting, as they replied to my message and oh boy I wanna know what's going on!

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
Edit: They're either getting more than five single deckers or it's something else they're getting, as they replied to my message and oh boy I wanna know what's going on!

We know they’re getting 20 new single deckers. E200mmcs is the belief in 8.9m length. To replace the jersey darts. The long jersey dart is the only one not going to Glasgow for further use and that’s staying here.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Guys, you better start taking more photos of the V---HBY, T---LLC, and T---KLF batches of trident, as after the 1st of march, you aren't going to see many more in service (they're all going elsewhere), and try to nab lots of nimbuses as they're replacing them with new single deckers (unknown model), The nimbuses are going up to Glasgow for either scrap or further use, and the tridents will most likely go for scrap or to Somerset or Essex.

I'm surprised to read these old Tridents have any chance of going to another company. I would have assumed they would all be for scrap!

83G/84D

Established Member

Trident 32861 believed to be withdrawn at Camborne.

Westnat

Just saw 44920 heading towards or out of St. Day. Potentially on a 47 route but the blind wasn’t working properly. New buses look very nice and according to FK they’re ADLs not Scanias
It was operating service 47. Seen at Redruth railway station at 14.30 bound for Camborne.