• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

farwest

I think next May will bring some changes when the main line through Cornwall goes half hourly. There was also talk of a combined rail and bus ticket similar to the Ride Cornwall offering. Perhaps on line like the mobile M tickets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
I think next May will bring some changes when the main line through Cornwall goes half hourly. There was also talk of a combined rail and bus ticket similar to the Ride Cornwall offering. Perhaps on line like the mobile M tickets.

I wouldn’t hold your breath on the half hourly train service starting in May! Not certain to happen with December 2019 being mentioned by some.

The St Erth Park and Ride will hopefully be completed by April with bus services all serving the railway station stop rather than the main road stops.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wouldn’t hold your breath on the half hourly train service starting in May! Not certain to happen with December 2019 being mentioned by some.

The St Erth Park and Ride will hopefully be completed by April with bus services all serving the railway station stop rather than the main road stops.
Last I heard from inside info was that it's happening in May, but then that was a couple of months ago All the new signalling to allow the enhanced frequency has been commissioned.

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's a council initiative which is planned to cover all operators, plus rail. They're currently in discussion with operators about an enhanced partnership.

83G/84D

Established Member
Last I heard from inside info was that it's happening in May, but then that was a couple of months ago All the new signalling to allow the enhanced frequency has been commissioned.

The problem is mainly a lack of trains to run the services. GWR are struggling to maintain the current services and are losing trains in the new year. Delays to the electrification programme (amongst other things) means cascades of trains from elsewhere on the network, to replace those leaving, are delayed.

richw

Veteran Member
Certainly not PZ's , which is notoriously difficult to visit other than by car or free shopper's service bus.

Although most buses into and out of PZ stop within 50-100 yards of Tesco. Definitely not my definition of notoriously difficult.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Although most buses into and out of PZ stop within 50-100 yards of Tesco. Definitely not my definition of notoriously difficult.
It's a horrible road to cross, with no provision for pedestrians. A 12 year old boy got a lot of publicity locally with a petition a while back, but absolutely nothing has been done. I remember the controversy when the site got planning permission for a supermarket getting on for thirty years ago. Funny the land it was built on had been owned by a prominent Tory local councillor. All above board, of course!

Westnat

Optare Metrodecker MD1 (YJ17 FXX) was in service on the internal Eden Project shuttles yesterday.

131.JPG

Goldfish62

Established Member
It's a horrible road to cross, with no provision for pedestrians. A 12 year old boy got a lot of publicity locally with a petition a while back, but absolutely nothing has been done. I remember the controversy when the site got planning permission for a supermarket getting on for thirty years ago. Funny the land it was built on had been owned by a prominent Tory local councillor. All above board, of course!
I agree. It's a death trap. Even where an island and pedestrian refuge have been provided there's still traffic coming at you from all directions.

83G/84D

Established Member
Solos 53803 and 53503 outside St Erth railway station at 9pm. Were running rail replacement services as due to late running main line services the St Erth to St Ives line had finished for the evening.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Solos 53803 and 53503 outside St Erth railway station at 9pm. Were running rail replacement services as due to late running main line services the St Erth to St Ives line had finished for the evening.
What? Sensible coordination between railways and buses? That'll never do... Seriously, good to see this sort of thing.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Optare Metrodecker MD1 (YJ17 FXX) was in service on the internal Eden Project shuttles yesterday.

View attachment 57356
Wouldn't mind a ride on one of these Metrodeckers but I rarely get into Cornwall and my local bus route is not operated by the Bristol depot which has the Metrodecker on loan. In view of the regular apearence of these MDs in the south west I find it hard not to wonder if Metrodeckers might one day be ordered. Probably wishful thinking though.

Dave

83G/84D

Established Member
Open top Olympian 34137 is at Camborne following its stint as a Christmas bus at Falmouth.

They're Optare Solo SRs, if you scroll far back enough on the behind the scenes page on Facebook, I think it lists possible length/width specifications too, though not entirely sure.

I for one would like to know the fleet numbers and registration plates of the coaches..

Goldfish62

Established Member
They're Optare Solo SRs, if you scroll far back enough on the behind the scenes page on Facebook, I think it lists possible length/width specifications too, though not entirely sure.

I for one would like to know the fleet numbers and registration plates of the coaches..
All slimline, a mix of 9.9m and 8.5m length.

83G/84D

Established Member
E200MMC 44966 on service L2 at Helston this afternoon and at Falmouth Marshall Dart 41490 on service 68.

Accelerator59

Depends on what variant they are. The last Solos delivered were to Bath as 538xx.
My guess either from 53861 or 53871 and possibly from 53761 for the smaller Solos. As for registration numbers, either starting with WK68/19 or YJ68/19 being from Yorkshire.

83G/84D

Established Member
My guess either from 53861 or 53871 and possibly from 53761 for the smaller Solos. As for registration numbers, either starting with WK or YJ being from Yorkshire

Whatever they end up carrying I don’t suppose we will have much longer to wait to find out.

Handover / delivery seemingly this month.

it's odd that there's not been any photos from the factory.. Optare almost always allow photos/videos from inside the factory, well at least they did when I last visited.

I'm still perplexed as to why there haven't been any photos.. maybe Optare like to keep things under wraps until they're signed off.. who knows, photos of them being made may have already been taken!

gka472l

A bit in advance to ask but does anyone know generally know when the open top routes start fully running please?? Planning a trip around June-ish as my previous visits have either been too early or late in the year for them.....determined to sample a few this year! Cheers in advance!

mic

A bit in advance to ask but does anyone know generally know when the open top routes start fully running please?? Planning a trip around June-ish as my previous visits have either been too early or late in the year for them.....determined to sample a few this year! Cheers in advance!
i think it is May as i am coming down that month

farwest

A2, A3 start running on 14th April twice a day until full service starts on 26th May.