• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
There was a post on a FB group yesterday showing a photo of a Tinner, a WoE Gemini and a BoS E300. It stated that these had all now been transferred to SPS and would remain there for the foreseeable future. I hope it's just poor wording, otherwise it would effectively mean we've lost all our Tinners and most other E400s. If SPS need additional vehicles surely Geminis could be sent there instead.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

carlberry

Established Member
There was a post on a FB group yesterday showing a photo of a Tinner, a WoE Gemini and a BoS E300. It stated that these had all now been transferred to SPS and would remain there for the foreseeable future. I hope it's just poor wording, otherwise it would effectively mean we've lost all our Tinners and most other E400s. If SPS need additional vehicles surely Geminis could be sent there instead.
I suspect that Hinkley have a vehicle age requirement for the contract.

MB162435

Established Member
I took it as the recently arrived WoE Gemini’s would be staying for the foreseeable future, but if all of the Kernow MMCs came back to us, that's quite a number of buses for SPS to replace, as I assume the current vehicle requirement for Hinckley will remain in place till Social distancing is no longer needed

Goldfish62

Established Member
I took it as the recently arrived WoE Gemini’s would be staying for the foreseeable future, but if all of the Kernow MMCs came back to us, that's quite a number of buses for SPS to replace, as I assume the current vehicle requirement for Hinckley will remain in place till Social distancing is no longer needed
I'm sure SPS can afford it considering the overall cost of the project. There's always plenty of youthful ex London buses lying around awaiting new homes.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I suspect that Hinkley have a vehicle age requirement for the contract.

I seem to recall that there is.

I'd suspect that the Kernow mmcs will be staying with SPS for a while with the various Geminis that have arrived taking their place in the interim.

carlberry

Established Member
I'm sure SPS can afford it considering the overall cost of the project. There's always plenty of youthful ex London buses lying around awaiting new homes.
I don't think anything ex London would be youthful enough. In normal times I suspect Hinkley would just have bought another load of Streetdecks, however in normal times they wouldn't need them anyway!

If the government is aiming to restart 'leisure' type activities from July then the rules might change and that would give SPS the ability to reduce it's requirements. Theres a lot of weight on the if and might there however!

Goldfish62

Established Member
I don't think anything ex London would be youthful enough. In normal times I suspect Hinkley would just have bought another load of Streetdecks, however in normal times they wouldn't need them anyway!

If the government is aiming to restart 'leisure' type activities from July then the rules might change and that would give SPS the ability to reduce it's requirements. Theres a lot of weight on the if and might there however!
The Gemini and E300 in the photo are anything but youthful!

There are plenty of ex London Euro VI buses awaiting new homes.

MB162435

Established Member
I seem to recall that there is.

I'd suspect that the Kernow mmcs will be staying with SPS for a while with the various Geminis that have arrived taking their place in the interim.
Can't see Kernow returning to a full timetable before September, when the Uni, colleges and any remaining schools are scheduled to return, so the Gemini's, remaining MMCs and SRs should be enough for a while yet

Because Kernow will surely increase their services when lockdown is eased further, I would’ve thought the MMCs up at Hinkley would be needed to come back to Cornwall then or would they have enough Gemini’s to go in their place?

Last edited:

MB162435

Established Member
Social distancing is going to be anything other than short term, so getting some more 2nd hand buses wouldn't be a stupid decision to wether the storm

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gemini and e300 are used for stuff like SPS driver shuttles etc rather than actually moving HP3 staff about?

Also, are there plenty of modern ex London vehicles about? There's plenty of 2005/6 ones, and perhaps some 2013 ones if there's a route changing hands but not certain about anything newer?

Social distancing is going to be anything other than short term, so getting some more 2nd hand buses wouldn't be a stupid decision to wether the storm

All depends on how the guidance also changes over time.... will we see 2 metres become 1 metre, for instance?

swifty

Established Member

But the B9/Gemini from Bristol will likely be one with a Euro 6 upgrade and more importantly currently not needed in Bristol. Much easier than investing in a heap of ex London heaps for a short while!

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
All depends on how the guidance also changes over time.... will we see 2 metres become 1 metre, for instance?
As far as I can make out from a bit of research the UK is the only European country with a 2m rule on public transport. Most are either 1m or 1.5m, while a few are either none or "as far away from others as reasonably possible".

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wouldn't be surprised if the Gemini and e300 are used for stuff like SPS driver shuttles etc rather than actually moving HP3 staff about?

Also, are there plenty of modern ex London vehicles about? There's plenty of 2005/6 ones, and perhaps some 2013 ones if there's a route changing hands but not certain about anything newer?
Good points, and it may be that I was being a bit flippant without the requisite evidence to back up the statement. *slaps one's self hard*...

richw

Veteran Member
The Hinckley extras I believe is until September at present.
There is some service increase on 1st June

MB162435

Established Member

Would be a good way of slowly easing out of the social distancing, without ending it suddenly and risking a splike in cases, which would also mean a slower reduction in the required number of buses at Hinckley

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
As far as I can make out from a bit of research the UK is the only European country with a 2m rule on public transport. Most are either 1m or 1.5m, while a few are either none or "as far away from others as reasonably possible".

I've got the same understanding in that most are citing a one metre gap. I'd imagine that Jacob Rees-Mogg won't want that sort of modern stuff and will insist on a gap of 117 Barleycorns....

swifty

Established Member

I’ve just seen the post in question, it refers to the three Bristol Gemini that are now on loan at SPS. The first pictured just happened to be parked inbetween an existing Tinner and BoS E200 on loan.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I’ve just seen the post in question, it refers to the three Bristol Gemini that are now on loan at SPS. The first pictured just happened to be parked inbetween an existing Tinner and BoS E200 on loan.
Ah right. My mistake. Thanks for the clarification.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've got the same understanding in that most are citing a one metre gap. I'd imagine that Jacob Rees-Mogg won't want that sort of modern stuff and will insist on a gap of 117 Barleycorns....
Haha!

Certainly on TfL buses 2m isn't enforced. Regular messages are played to remind passengers that they should try to maintain 2m distance, but that's as far as it goes I'm told.

richw

Veteran Member
Haha!

Certainly on TfL buses 2m isn't enforced. Regular messages are played to remind passengers that they should try to maintain 2m distance, but that's as far as it goes I'm told.
The 2m of course is only advisory, it’s respectful in my view to honour it for others even if you’re not bothered

MB162435

Established Member
Not sure what the operators view was, but many wanted the 1m distance, can't remember by how much but would see a healthy rise in capacity

although always good to be on the safe side, at least for the time being

Volvo142

Arriva Midlands East have just posted the following, so it seems they're following the same policy as First Kernow. Presumably they'll be using Ticketer for compliance in the same way. ..

richw

Veteran Member
Arriva Midlands East have just posted the following, so it seems they're following the same policy as First Kernow. Presumably they'll be using Ticketer for compliance in the same way. ..

The images used on social media have gov and nhs logos by first kernow so presumably they are government issued images for bus operators. Plymouth citybus have also posted the same style images

83G/84D

Established Member
Former First Kernow & Western Greyhound Optare Solo YJ55 YGN (53406) along with YJ05 XNV (53205) are now with Trustybus, Essex according to the Fleet news section in the latest Buses Magazine. They were disposed of by FK to Ensign in April.

Goldfish62

Established Member
Former First Kernow & Western Greyhound Optare Solo YJ55 YGN (53406) along with YJ05 XNV (53205) are now with Trustybus, Essex according to the Fleet news section in the latest Buses Magazine. They were disposed of by FK to Ensign in April.
Poor buses. What have they done to deserve that....?