• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First South West (Kernow & Buses of Somerset)

Goldfish62

Established Member
Anyone know when the Gemini repaints are restarting, if they haven't done so already?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

83G/84D

Established Member
Both ‘Discover’ Scania’s out today. 65724 started on T1 shorts between Camborne & Truro before being swapped out for 65725 late morning.

MB162435

Established Member
A Solar back out on the T1, It's just like old times with the Ex Reading vehicles then!
That what I was thinking when I saw the photos on Facebook, bet the drivers never thought they would be driving them again only 2 years after the last fleet left

As much as I love the Tinners, it is great to see them back!

Yarp1

That what I was thinking when I saw the photos on Facebook, bet the drivers never thought they would be driving them again only 2 years after the last fleet left

As much as I love the Tinners, it is great to see them back!
The fuel consumption on the volvo ones we had before was horrendous. I think and dont quote me but the Volvo's we had took over 200 litres on average a day where as tridents were about 150liters ish per day. I don't know the fuel consumption difference between the scania and Volvos thou. The scanias were quicker and more responsive

MB162435

Established Member
The fuel consumption on the volvo ones we had before was horrendous. I think and dont quote me but the Volvo's we had took over 200 litres on average a day where as tridents were about 150liters ish per day. I don't know the fuel consumption difference between the scania and Volvos thou. The scanias were quicker and more responsive
Hoped Kernow's accountant was sitting down when the fuel bill came in then!

Good job the 14/18 were profitable routes then, they wouldn't of lasted long then if they weren't

Why were they chosen to replace the darts on the 14/18, was it just because they had to use the Ex-Reading ones on something when they finished their service on the PR1?

richw

Veteran Member
The fuel consumption on the volvo ones we had before was horrendous.
The Gemini’s aren’t great I’ve been told compared to enviros. A day on the 27 they are using a considerable amount!
The 54 plate I had this morning had a mpg display!

Goldfish62

Established Member
The Gemini’s aren’t great I’ve been told compared to enviros. A day on the 27 they are using a considerable amount!
The 54 plate I had this morning had a mpg display!
Euro 3 was a bit of a disaster. Barely any better than Euro 2 in emissions terms, and significantly worse fuel consumption.

Yarp1

Hoped Kernow's accountant was sitting down when the fuel bill came in then!

Good job the 14/18 were profitable routes then, they wouldn't of lasted long then if they weren't

Why were they chosen to replace the darts on the 14/18, was it just because they had to use the Ex-Reading ones on something when they finished their service on the PR1?
The volvo b7s came from Manchester I think and they had our 08 plate darts. I think it was a case of Manchester wanted newer buses and the thought was the volvos were higher passenger capacity which they wernt. Basically FK got robbed of the darts and when the volvos turned up half of them wernt serviceable at first with gearbox and engine faults and needed major components replacing. Then there was the argument as to who was gonna pay.

MB162435

Established Member
The volvo b7s came from Manchester I think and they had our 08 plate darts. I think it was a case of Manchester wanted newer buses and the thought was the volvos were higher passenger capacity which they wernt. Basically FK got robbed of the darts and when the volvos turned up half of them wernt serviceable at first with gearbox and engine faults and needed major components replacing. Then there was the argument as to who was gonna pay.
Ah right, always wondered why the Darts left they were quite popular and common in the Kernow fleet until recently, even with 42558-63 being kept I assume for the planned 35 service

Can see why it was easier for Kernow to buy new, saves the hassle and having to replace the fleet in a few years

Didn't Manchester have them back when the MMCs arrived?

BradK2017

The Eclipses was replaced from Manchester by the large batch of new B9TL/Geminis Manchester gained during 2007/8 what resulted in a number of fairly new Wright Eclipses being transferred across the country (I think most if not all of the Eclipses that went to Kernow was Ex-Bury route 471),The 2005 Darts replaced by Eclipses ended up in Essex,not fully sure what 08reg Darts your meaning but the only darts i remember Manchester gaining from Kernow was the WA56 regs during late 2013

Yarp1

The Eclipses was replaced from Manchester by the large batch of new B9TL/Geminis Manchester gained during 2007/8 what resulted in a number of fairly new Wright Eclipses being transferred across the country (I think most if not all of the Eclipses that went to Kernow was Ex-Bury route 471),The 2005 Darts replaced by Eclipses ended up in Essex,not fully sure what 08reg Darts your meaning but the only darts i remember Manchester gaining from Kernow was the WA56 regs during late 2013
Might be my mistake about the reg. They could have been 56. I don't make notes and csn only say from memory. 56,58 or 08 they were something like that

Yarp1

I am not so clued up with operations else where around the country but I have been wondering if there have been cases where new operators of routes have had some or all if them taken away and handed back to previous operator?

cnjb8

Established Member
I am not so clued up with operations else where around the country but I have been wondering if there have been cases where new operators of routes have had some or all if them taken away and handed back to previous operator?
Kinchbus ran the 9 between Nottingham and Loughborough, but were forced to withdraw when Premiere Travel started a competing service. In 2013, Premiere Travel ceased trading and the service went back to Kinchbus.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Might be my mistake about the reg. They could have been 56. I don't make notes and csn only say from memory. 56,58 or 08 they were something like that

There's a little bit of confusion here so....

First Manchester did receive a lot of B7RLEs in 2006. They subsequently received a load of B9TLs in 2008 so some were cascaded to various places across the UK, mirroring what Stagecoach did in sending vehicles to Manchester then sending them to provincial fleets to upgrade them. Manchester also kept some.

First Devon and Cornwall received 69218 to 69230 to replace the 2005 Darts that had been delivered for use on the 14/18 that then moved to Essex. 69210-7 went to First at Weymouth, whilst 69231-44 went to First Cymru.

Some time later in 2013, and might be because Manchester needed some late model Darts (??), further Eclipses were sent in exchange so 69206-9 arrived with 42940/1/4/5 heading to First GM. Seen it said that 42942/3 were also destined but the exchange stopped because of the condition of the Volvos; don't know how true that is.

83G/84D

Established Member

First Manchester did receive a lot of B7RLEs in 2006. They subsequently received a load of B9TLs in 2008 so some were cascaded to various places across the UK, mirroring what Stagecoach did in sending vehicles to Manchester then sending them to provincial fleets to upgrade them. Manchester also kept some.

First Devon and Cornwall received 69218 to 69230 to replace the 2005 Darts that had been delivered for use on the 14/18 that then moved to Essex. 69210-7 went to First at Weymouth, whilst 69231-44 went to First Cymru.

Some time later in 2013, and might be because Manchester needed some late model Darts (??), further Eclipses were sent in exchange so 69206-9 arrived with 42940/1/4/5 heading to First GM. Seen it said that 42942/3 were also destined but the exchange stopped because of the condition of the Volvos; don't know how true that is.

Sounds about right as far as I can remember.

Accelerator59

I also remember 69218-69230 working in Plymouth and surrounding areas first of all before they were brought into Cornwall to be used on the 14/18, I believe in late 2008 to replace the Darts, as aforementioned.

laira 2

I also remember 69218-69230 working in Plymouth and surrounding areas first of all before they were brought into Cornwall to be used on the 14/18, I believe in late 2008 to replace the Darts, as aforementioned.
69218-69220 and 69222 worked in Plymouth first noted 27.9.08 but 69221/69223-69230 went direct to Cornwall. I have since recorded all except 69227 in Plymouth in a period up to 19.1.13 mainly on Rail Replacement.

MB162435

Established Member
Printed timetables are set for a return, with FSW Roadside team now unfurloughed, roadside timetables first and printed timetables and terminal boards afterwards

Looks like there will be no tweaks to the timetable until later in the year now, hopefully not too many people will rush to the shops from next week

richw

Veteran Member
Printed timetables are set for a return, with FSW Roadside team now unfurloughed, roadside timetables first and printed timetables and terminal boards afterwards

Looks like there will be no tweaks to the timetable until later in the year now, hopefully not too many people will rush to the shops from next week

They’re up on the 27 and A5 routes. Haven’t worked anything else this week to notice elsewhere

Attachments

• 10B64BC0-2B22-4EDD-A749-66DDC72AAA4F.jpeg
    10B64BC0-2B22-4EDD-A749-66DDC72AAA4F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 31

Goldfish62

Established Member

I would certainly be most surprised and unimpressed if the current timetables are any more than short term.

The current DfT funding comes with an expectation that service levels will return to around 100% fairly soon. Also, once pubs and restaurants reopen having no evening services is really not good. To me it wouldn't show that First is serious about Cornwall longer term.

I note that Stagecoach SW is uplifting to almost 100% service levels from Monday.

embers25

Established Member
I would certainly be most surprised and unimpressed if the current timetables are any more than short term.

The current DfT funding comes with an expectation that service levels will return to around 100% fairly soon. Also, once pubs and restaurants reopen having no evening services is really not good. To me it wouldn't show that First is serious about Cornwall longer term.

I note that Stagecoach SW is uplifting to almost 100% service levels from Monday.

Exeter city services are not uplifting to 100% by any means (and that takes into account the significant service reductions that were already planned for May). Actually its more like 50% on many routes. The IJK are every 30 not every 15, Green every 20 not every 15, A 50% every 20 not every 10, E1/E2 every 30 not every 15, F1/F2 appear 50% and certainly Beacon Heath is 50% of old timetable. No buses serve Uni still, L every 30 not every 15, R&S both every 30 not every 20, Red every 20 not every 12. Also 1 is every 20 not every 15.

In Plymouth the 2/2A are every 30 not every 20, Falcon still limited service, 200 every 40 instead of every 20 on weekdays and 15 on sats.

I'm not saying that isn't appropriate as I don't know what loadings will be like but logic says it'll be a squeeze socially distancing.

carlberry

Established Member

I cant see how the services can get vastly better until the 'Dont use public transport' messaging changes. Very few companies are improving Saturday services yet and theres still no real details about what the July changes for pubs etc are going to be (beer gardens only is one rumor for instance). If the accommodation that's allowed to open is mostly aimed at car use (camping or self catering) then, in effect, Cornwall's public transport use is still going to be in 'winter' mode for some time to come.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I cant see how the services can get vastly better until the 'Dont use public transport' messaging changes. Very few companies are improving Saturday services yet and theres still no real details about what the July changes for pubs etc are going to be (beer gardens only is one rumor for instance). If the accommodation that's allowed to open is mostly aimed at car use (camping or self catering) then, in effect, Cornwall's public transport use is still going to be in 'winter' mode for some time to come.
As I said, the government funding supports returning services to close on 100% and that is exactly what operators around the country are doing.

The government obviously wants services at be at as high a level as possible to support social distancing.

It would seem absurd if we go all summer with evening services to Paul and Pendeen, but nothing to St Ives or Mousehole, for example.

Brewers having now started brewing ready for an expected partial reopening of pubs from early July. It's probably a fair assumption that those which are able to open will be mobbed and people aren't really going to want to drive.