• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Im surprised they have cut the 48A whilst the 13 is still around but needs must I guess!

It really didn't justify that high level of frequency - it's not the 75 in fairness.

Don't get me wrong some journeys are busy, I've seen Gems leaving UWE packed but it isn't enough to warrant six buses an hour.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 33

Established Member
Agree about the reduction in service to the 48A. Every 10 minutes isn't really needed. Every 20 minutes is more sensible.

No changes to the X74 after all then? It was reported that there would be changes to this service.

Also what difference is there between the 53 and the new 54? The info on Travelwest just says it operates via Broad Walk. Though personally due to the timings of these services AND the destinations they serve, I'm not likely to ever use any of them myself anyway!

Last edited:

freetoview33

Established Member
It really didn't justify that high level of frequency - it's not the 75 in fairness.

Don't get me wrong some journeys are busy, I've seen Gems leaving UWE packed but it isn't enough to warrant six buses an hour.

Well it certainly doesn't justify 11 buses an hour! (13 and 48A)
But now both are cut there will be only 5 an hour.

My crazy ideas proposed 8 buses an hour which I think is a happy medium!

THarris123

Established Member
Trying to figure out how many buses are saved in Bristol in April:
Maybe 1 on 50/51
Maybe 1 on 5
None on 36
4/5 on 48A
2/3 on 73

So that's 10 W reg ALXs gone at max.

I think there might be some further savings made in the year.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Maybe 1 on 50/51
Maybe 1 on 5
None on 36
4/5 on 48A
2/3 on 73

Perhaps the real benefit will be the saving on drivers if they're struggling to cover work and having to rely on agency staff? Wonder if there's some inter working on the 36 or else you'd wonder why do it? Ten out of 31 is a fair start though.

As for future cuts, wonder how safe the 375 is? Also, the 267 has been under review at various times hence the cuts last year.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Agree about the reduction in service to the 48A. Every 10 minutes isn't really needed. Every 20 minutes is more sensible.

No changes to the X74 after all then? It was reported that there would be changes to this service.

Also what difference is there between the 53 and the new 54? The info on Travelwest just says it operates via Broad Walk. Though personally due to the timings of these services AND the destinations they serve, I'm not likely to ever use any of them myself anyway!

The 53/4 along with 35A are just the registration of journeys that currently run NIS. No likelihood of many passengers but just one is a bonus.

Marcus Fryer

Even more so! 5 buses at the moment is plenty :)

Problem being that with the current (temporary for road works) traffic lights at the Broom Hill/Park Road junction three buses can come along together! It's quicker to walk up through Stoke Park. Must be causing massive problems on the 5 and 81 as well, and it seems to spread to the 48/49.

Marc

does anyone know what is happening to the nailsea - clevedon / portihead part of the A2? is it getting withdrawen?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Perhaps the real benefit will be the saving on drivers if they're struggling to cover work and having to rely on agency staff? Wonder if there's some inter working on the 36 or else you'd wonder why do it? Ten out of 31 is a fair start though.

As for future cuts, wonder how safe the 375 is? Also, the 267 has been under review at various times hence the cuts last year.

The 53/4 along with 35A are just the registration of journeys that currently run NIS. No likelihood of many passengers but just one is a bonus.

So maybe the 54 will run with streetdecks?

Haven't ridden the full length 375 for a few years, I understand Wells to Street section still does quite well, but south of Street is a different story. Unlike with Faresaver and X31, in which they decided they had lost, perhaps First are still putting up a fight against Webbers.

THarris123

Established Member
So maybe the 54 will run with streetdecks?

Haven't ridden the full length 375 for a few years, I understand Wells to Street section still does quite well, but south of Street is a different story. Unlike with Faresaver and X31, in which they decided they had lost, perhaps First are still putting up a fight against Webbers.

You're about right on 375. Apart from odd journeys and college runs, it's pretty empty past Street. I would like to see it every 2 hours with a B7 and have it run every hour Wells-Street. That would save 1 vehicle, but it would mean that Webbers win. I don't think we'll see any cuts in Wells yet - they're overstaffed at the moment and i'm sure there's only a finite time to pay expenses for drivers having to go and cover work in Bath.
does anyone know what is happening to the nailsea - clevedon / portihead part of the A2? is it getting withdrawen?

As far as we're aware, yes. I'd like to think North Somerset would fund at least something on those two routes.

LeylandLynx

Maybe 1 on 50/51
Maybe 1 on 5
None on 36
4/5 on 48A
2/3 on 73

According to the travelwest site, the 50/51 route is not being cut after all. Guess we'll have to wait until it comes from First themselves to know for sure.

stait.john

"North Somerset Council will procure a replacement for the Nailsea/Clevedon ends of the A2"

And yes a difference of opinion between what was written by JF in his staff newsletter and what's on Traveline regarding the 50/51. I'm sure it will all become clear (!)

It doesn't save any buses on the 5 I wouldn't thought with the extension to Downend and the increase in recovery time, only a PVR of 4 currently, can't see them doing it with 3 and still being reliable. You never know! Is the 48A reduction permanent or just for the summer UWE period? It's been mentioned the 70/71 are to reduced for the summer that was my thinking. But yes will save a few vehicles as will the 73 reduction. I would imagine the Tridents should be first out?

I still think 32001-32024 maybe certified DDA compliant and offered for cascade, they're good for a few more years yet.

John

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
"North Somerset Council will procure a replacement for the Nailsea/Clevedon ends of the A2"

And yes a difference of opinion between what was written by JF in his staff newsletter and what's on Traveline regarding the 50/51. I'm sure it will all become clear (!)

It doesn't save any buses on the 5 I wouldn't thought with the extension to Downend and the increase in recovery time, only a PVR of 4 currently, can't see them doing it with 3 and still being reliable. You never know! Is the 48A reduction permanent or just for the summer UWE period? It's been mentioned the 70/71 are to reduced for the summer that was my thinking. But yes will save a few vehicles as will the 73 reduction. I would imagine the Tridents should be first out?

I still think 32001-32024 maybe certified DDA compliant and offered for cascade, they're good for a few more years yet.

John

Thanks for that on A2 John - thought they might have to do something. I suspect someone like Carmel or Crosville will run something.

I thought the current PVR of 5 was 5, but 4 would be the right number from April

There's only 2 Tridents in Bristol, so yes they will go, but unless LH are going to move anything to Bath, the ALXs will be next. In terms of DDA, I was told a while ago that the Tridents could be made DDA compliant easily - hope not.

freetoview33

Established Member
Currently 32 buses an hour from Centre - U.W.E (13,19,X14,48A,70,71,72,X74) reducing to 26 buses an hour from April.

My "crazy" ideas proposed 27 buses an hour to U.W.E, So not totally mad!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Currently 32 buses an hour from Centre - U.W.E (13,19,X14,48A,70,71,72,X74) reducing to 26 buses an hour from April.

Two notes of caution

Your "crazy ideas" don't reflect the competitive situation. 26 bph is probably still too high. Secondly, the centre to UWE corridor wasn't the area with the biggest problems

Marcus Fryer

I wouldn't regard any of these routes as serving the UWE (Frenchay campus) -central Bristol flow apart from X14 and X74 - all of the others were designed principally to connect UWE with the various areas where students live, and continue to the central area to gain extra revenue by picking up intermediate traffic from Fishponds/Horfield etc. to town, also to reach a logical turning point.

freetoview33

Established Member
I wouldn't regard any of these routes as serving the UWE (Frenchay campus) -central Bristol flow apart from X14 and X74 - all of the others were designed principally to connect UWE with the various areas where students live, and continue to the central area to gain extra revenue by picking up intermediate traffic from Fishponds/Horfield etc. to town, also to reach a logical turning point.

You'd be surprised!

Marc

i would mostly agree with that point. we are not in the same state where there is only one corrador to the UWE and to suggest that these routes are all doing the same thing is wrong. what is intaresting compared to 10-15 years ago is the number of buses running between fishponds and UWE for example. even with the coming reduction of both 13 and 48A, it is still a considierable increase over the 581 running hourly or the 690 every two hours before that!

The expantion of other UWE routes mostly reflects the much wider vairety of where students live in bristol now. it isnt just about the centre, glouster road and ashley down as it was in the hay day of the swiftlink bus wars. first were very slow to recognise this and are being simalarly blind in bath where students are becoming ever larger in number in southdown, kingsway and that area.

vicbury

Looks like the repainting of the 05-reg Darts has finally started in Bath. One with no fleet numbers in Weston this evening; unfortunately I didn't catch the reg.

THarris123

Established Member
Looks like the repainting of the 05-reg Darts has finally started in Bath. One with no fleet numbers in Weston this evening; unfortunately I didn't catch the reg.

Good. Maybe they're doing them for the changes in April so when they go on the 10, they look fresh.

Or are you sure it wasn't either 42914/5?

vicbury

Good. Maybe they're doing them for the changes in April so when they go on the 10, they look fresh.

Only if either of those has had fleet numbers removed and a thorough scrubbing / touch up.

If the Darts are moving to the 10 what's going on the 14?

Private Baxter

Established Member
60914 on 376
B7RLE must have been on 161 then!

About time some of Bath's fleet received some TLC. It's been ages since they did any.
It definitely wasn't 42914! ;) That one went east, but 42915/6 are still there. Both were painted about two years ago.
Only if either of those has had fleet numbers removed and a thorough scrubbing / touch up.

If the Darts are moving to the 10 what's going on the 14?
Didn't they say that bigger buses are going on 14 or am I getting confused? It's not entirely out of the question that we might see B7RLEs going on there, especially given that 231 is disappearing.
Suspect might be more Darts from Bristol? Some ex 72?
Another (more likely) possibility.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
B7RLE must have been on 161 then!

About time some of Bath's fleet received some TLC. It's been ages since they did any.
It definitely wasn't 42914! ;) That one went east, but 42915/6 are still there. Both were painted about two years ago.

Didn't they say that bigger buses are going on 14 or am I getting confused? It's not entirely out of the question that we might see B7RLEs going on there, especially given that 231 is disappearing.

Another (more likely) possibility.

Thought it was bigger on the 10.

THarris123

Established Member
It is the 10 that is getting bigger buses and I think John confirmed it was Darts going on there.

Thanks for correcting me on 42914 Mr Baxter - thought I got that wrong when I typed it.
Do we know if the X53 has a summer timetable - i'm sure it was hourly at some point?

What do we reckon to X31 and X53 getting new deckers this year?
69440 and 69445 on 126 yet again - that's all i've seen on there this week, so I suspect they'll be regulars to Weston.