• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Class 33

Established Member
What's going on with the new Enviro 400 VE's going onto the 72? I know that at least one has arrived as it was in use for about 2 days on the service several weeks ago. What is the problem with it?

Also what an earth is going on with this new Romney Avenue Bus Link that was supposed to have been opened 18 months ago? Is this ever going to get completed and opened? It's probably only about a mile long in length, so I'm surprised it's taking so long!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ValleyLines142

Established Member
What's going on with the new Enviro 400 VE's going onto the 72? I know that at least one has arrived as it was in use for about 2 days on the service several weeks ago. What is the problem with it?

I'm not sure but I've just seen 33992(?) (SN 65 ZGT) on the M32 coming into Bristol in plain blue livery.

THarris123

Established Member
60912/4/69446 on 377 today with 60913 and 53401 in depot
40584 on 29 - had about 2 people on at Street a moment ago
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I'm not sure but I've just seen 33992(?) (SN 65 ZGT) on the M32 coming into Bristol in plain blue livery.

That's interesting. The electric E400 is 39192. I wonder if that's a new vehicle 33992 (or is that a Glasgow bus?)
Webberbus seem to be doing well today - some buses completely full and others half full. Just seen a solo on 38 full.

vicbury

A fully liveried electric Enviro 400 was on the M4 westbound between Swindon and Chippenham Friday morning.

Travelled on 44918 today :D

pompeyfan

Established Member
Glad you made it down to my neck of the woods on 44918. It's amazing what the fitters have done. That said it's probably best of the bunch you've given us.

Did you travel on anything else today? Was there anything you liked or didn't like?

Last edited:

Marcus Fryer

Also what an earth is going on with this new Romney Avenue Bus Link that was supposed to have been opened 18 months ago? Is this ever going to get completed and opened? It's probably only about a mile long in length, so I'm surprised it's taking so long!

Aren't the Enviro 400 VE going to recharge during layover at UWE? Will this be in the bus station or the layby the East entrance? In either case has the infrastructure been completed - if it has, it's not obvious?

With regard to the Romney Avenue bus link, it's only 200 - 300 yards long. It's been practically finished for over a year. I would guess the problem is objections from residents of Danby Street (at the Cheswick end) to buses using their road to reach the link?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I've been told that there will be changes to Wells services - wait until the end of this week and we'll know more.

Effective from when?

From Steve White's page last month "2nd Electric Enviro 39192 which is still at ADL having some modifications done once it arrives 39191 will then go back for the same mods so its looking like late March before these enter service. The 3 similar vehicles in London have hardly been used in service either."

Guess that's the problem with early adoption of new technology - you have to encounter all the gremlins
About time some of Bath's fleet received some TLC. It's been ages since they did any.It definitely wasn't 42914! ;) That one went east, but 42915/6 are still there. Both were painted about two years ago.

42914-6 were actually repainted in mid 2013!! Time does fly

Of course, they did paint 42555 about 3 weeks before it left for Clacton. The Solos and Darts do look very scruffy internally and externally now, having been worked hard.

There did seem to be a very targetted paint programme for the Bristol fleet with most if not all the Geminis done in about 18 months. Now it seems a bit sporadic - since last summer, I think it's the seven unibus deckers, a couple of trainers, and a dozen or so orange fronts for the 1/2 plus 60911 and some white Darts. Think 66992/3 are wraps rather than repaints?

vicbury

Glad you made it down to my neck of the woods on 44918. It's amazing what the fitters have done. That said it's probably best of the bunch you've given us.

Did you travel on anything else today? Was there anything you liked or didn't like?

Indeed it was nice to have a weekend in Portsmouth.

Judging by 44918 the Enviros have been well-overhauled and now feel structurally sound and gave a relatively pleasant ride. I can't judge too well however as I was only going for around six or seven stops on the 18.

Otherwise I travelled on the 1, 2 and 7, all of which were worked by Streetlites (unfortunately I missed the Omnicity on the 2).

The branding for the 7 is very smart and I was particularly impressed by the real time information which lists the next four stops on this route. The 1 and 2 simply announced the next stop. Why does First insist on preceding all next stop announcements with "Next Stop"?

The Streetlites all seemed to be looked after pretty well although a couple had some annoying squeaks and a couple of them were blowing hot air (presumably to compensate for the cool air coming through the open windows). Can't bus manufacturers locate the temperature sensor forward of any opening windows?

In my opinion Portsmouth could do with a rationalisation of routes. Too many routes at low frequencies such as every 30 minutes or every 60 minutes for such a major city. Portsmouth is pretty flat so I can't see the problem with walking a little further for a service operating say at every 15 minutes.

Finally Portsmouth seems to be in a fares time warp with adult day tickets at £4.20 rather than the round £4.00 found in Bristol and Bath. Why are there no day or weekly student tickets?! Yes the U1 is free for University of Portsmouth students but what about local college students? Also the U1 does not go everywhere and because student day tickets are not available most students opt for taxis instead...

Across the West and South of England as a whole: why is First permitting cars to be advertised on its buses again? Bizarre that they will take advertising revenue to advertise a competitor!

pompeyfan

Established Member
44918 is the exception rather then the rule sadly, but they did do a good job on it.

In regards to the feeder routes on low frequencies, the majority of them are council tendered routes, with only 2 exceptions to that.

The U1 is officially classed as a closed contract service, ferrying students between university halls/student 'ghettos' and the campus etc. Until a couple of years ago a Portsmouth day was £4, but loss of BSOG meant the fares had to go up to compensate.

I really do need to get up to bath soon, only ever travelled on the 8/9 in Bristol too, although I did take my PSV out of Hengrove depot.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Took a journey on the 70 yesterday, courtesy of 35104. Caught the 1825 from UWE, which was supposed to get to Temple Meads at 1909. I can honestly say I've never been on such a ridiculously slow service in all my life. At 7pm, we were only at Sefton Park Road, bearing in mind we were supposed to be in Temple Meads a mere ten minutes later yet there was no traffic on the roads. Every time the bus stopped it seemed to wait for about five minutes at a time which does add up. I finally got to Temple Meads almost an hour later, nearly 25 minutes longer than it was supposed to take for no reason whatsoever. It doesn't even take that long on a Monday morning when all the students are heading into UWE for 9/10am lectures so there was no excuse for it. Ridiculous!

Private Baxter

Established Member
42914-6 were actually repainted in mid 2013!! Time does fly

Of course, they did paint 42555 about 3 weeks before it left for Clacton. The Solos and Darts do look very scruffy internally and externally now, having been worked hard.

There did seem to be a very targetted paint programme for the Bristol fleet with most if not all the Geminis done in about 18 months. Now it seems a bit sporadic - since last summer, I think it's the seven unibus deckers, a couple of trainers, and a dozen or so orange fronts for the 1/2 plus 60911 and some white Darts. Think 66992/3 are wraps rather than repaints?

Was it mid-2013?! I know they came back to Bath in around January 2014 having already been done when they were at either Weston or Taunton.

The mid life stuff really is in need of repaint. During 2014 they were making steady progress, though they would start painting a particular batch, then move on to another so few fleets were actually completed outside Bristol. And I was under the impression that 66992/3 in fact are repaints, at least they look like it to me, though haven't examined either closely enough!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Was it mid-2013?! I know they came back to Bath in around January 2014 having already been done when they were at either Weston or Taunton.

The mid life stuff really is in need of repaint. During 2014 they were making steady progress, though they would start painting a particular batch, then move on to another so few fleets were actually completed outside Bristol. And I was under the impression that 66992/3 in fact are repaints, at least they look like it to me, though haven't examined either closely enough!

42914-6 were done at Weston during their short time there. Does seem slightly baffling that this time last year, they were busy painting B10BLEs for just a few months service. In the last three years, the depots outside Bristol haven't had many repaints. In Bath, 66350-6 plus a couple of 3228* and some B7RLEs and the Unibus fleet but not much else?

vicbury

From the Bath Chronicle today:

Part of a night time bus service between Bath and Frome after is to be axed from the end of April, raising concerns for the future of the whole route.

First Bus has confirmed the 8.10pm 267 from Bath to Frome is to be withdrawn from Sunday, April 24.

Not sure if the withdrawal of one commercial journey surrounded by subsidised journeys is a threat to the whole route?

THarris123

Established Member
Eh? 2017?

Only asking because it's cutting it fine if it's happening with the rest of the changes. And what are the changes? Minor timetable changes? Enhanced frequencies? New routes?

Be patient.
Changes to services in Yeovil and Weymouth have been announced on VOSA. Looks to be summer timetables from 8th May. Interesting the Yeovil has an amendment to 1.

Also shows that Weymouth cancelling X53/X51 and replacing it with X51/X53/X54. X54 appears to be new.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Be patient.
Changes to services in Yeovil and Weymouth have been announced on VOSA. Looks to be summer timetables from 8th May. Interesting the Yeovil has an amendment to 1.

Also shows that Weymouth cancelling X53/X51 and replacing it with X51/X53/X54. X54 appears to be new.

Patient? It's not the dance of the seven veils :D I see the 1/2 get another change as from 30 Apr (quelle surprise :roll:)

As for Dorset, these are the registrations

PH0006159/413 - FIRST HAMPSHIRE & DORSET LTD, BUS DEPOT, EMPRESS ROAD, SOUTHAMPTON, SO14 0JW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Poole Bus Station
Finish Point: Weymouth, King's Statue
Via: Wareham, Wool
Service Number: X54
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 08-MAY-2016
Other Details: Daily service.

PH0006159/414 - FIRST HAMPSHIRE & DORSET LTD, BUS DEPOT, EMPRESS ROAD, SOUTHAMPTON, SO14 0JW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Bridport Coach Station
Finish Point: Axminster Rail Station
Via: Lyme Regis
Service Number: X51
Other Details: Daily service

PH0006159/416 - FIRST HAMPSHIRE & DORSET LTD, BUS DEPOT, EMPRESS ROAD, SOUTHAMPTON, SO14 0JW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Dorchester, South Station
Finish Point: Bridport Coach Station
Via: Winterbourne Abbas
Service Number: X51

The X54 looks like the eastern part of what was the X53.

The X51 is chopped back to Axminster (though in reality, that was where it was terminated anyway).

The X53 doesn't have replacement registrations but you do wonder if there's more in the pipeline to come through?? We might have expected that over the sections from Lyme to Exeter (given the Stagecoach registration) but a bit surprising not on the Weymouth to Bridport section.

freetoview33

Established Member
I had an interesting afternoon, I went in Morrisons at Fishponds and had something to eat, watching the buses go past.

I noticed something a 48A pulled up heading to the centre (it was empty) and no one got on. There was about 10 people on the bus stop, then a fairly full 48 pulled up and those 10 people got on.

Which did get me thinking that the majority of people seem to stick with what they know.

So my theory goes that if all services were renumbered (hence my ideas) then people would have to get to new numbers and might actually use the other services. (Yes people moan but that is only temporary and in the long term it might be better)

henairs

I had an interesting afternoon, I went in Morrisons at Fishponds and had something to eat, watching the buses go past.

I noticed something a 48A pulled up heading to the centre (it was empty) and no one got on. There was about 10 people on the bus stop, then a fairly full 48 pulled up and those 10 people got on.

Which did get me thinking that the majority of people seem to stick with what they know.

So my theory goes that if all services were renumbered (hence my ideas) then people would have to get to new numbers and might actually use the other services. (Yes people moan but that is only temporary and in the long term it might be better)

Although not familiar with the area around Fishponds perhaps all those passengers wanted stops that the 48A doesn't serve but the 48 does.
But also agree with you that passengers do feel happy with a route they've grown accustomed to even if the newer route is I assume an Express version of the 48. When in doubt stick with what your familier with is what most people would generally do. Cheers, Mike R

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I wonder what actual benefit renumbering the 54 to 2 actually brought. Of course, we have the joys of bus stop flags being wrong across the city whether that be Knowle (54) or Brislington (338/339) or Hanham (332).

Alternatively, let's not annoy and confuse the travelling populace with pointless renumberings

freetoview33

Established Member
I wonder what actual benefit renumbering the 54 to 2 actually brought. Of course, we have the joys of bus stop flags being wrong across the city whether that be Knowle (54) or Brislington (338/339) or Hanham (332).

Alternatively, let's not annoy and confuse the travelling populace with pointless renumberings

I think with the 48/48A it would work on many levels

DaveHarries

Established Member
The X53 doesn't have replacement registrations but you do wonder if there's more in the pipeline to come through?? We might have expected that over the sections from Lyme to Exeter (given the Stagecoach registration) but a bit surprising not on the Weymouth to Bridport section.
For anyone interested the timetables for the Stagecoach services 9/9A/X9 starting 02-May-2016 are now online on TravelineSW.

The level of service on Mondays to Saturdays looks set to be quite decent. The new services provide journeys between Exeter and Sidford (Drakes Avenue) via. Clyst St. Mary, Newton Poppleford and Sidmouth at a 30-minute frequency for much of the day with one bus per hour then continuing to Honiton via. Sidbury (Service 9) or Seaton and Lyme Regis (Service 9A): the last link to Lyme Regis would be 1735 from Exeter with the earliest possible arrival from Lyme Regis to Exeter being 0817.

In consideration of what Stagecoach will be offering I doubt if First will bother with the X53 between Weymouth and Exeter which is a pity as I had plans to do the whole trip at some point.

HTIOI,
Dave

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
For anyone interested the timetables for the Stagecoach services 9/9A/X9 starting 02-May-2016 are now online on TravelineSW.

The level of service on Mondays to Saturdays looks set to be quite decent. The new services provide journeys between Exeter and Sidford (Drakes Avenue) via. Clyst St. Mary, Newton Poppleford and Sidmouth at a 30-minute frequency for much of the day with one bus per hour then continuing to Honiton via. Sidbury (Service 9) or Seaton and Lyme Regis (Service 9A): the last link to Lyme Regis would be 1735 from Exeter with the earliest possible arrival from Lyme Regis to Exeter being 0817.

In consideration of what Stagecoach will be offering I doubt if First will bother with the X53 between Weymouth and Exeter which is a pity as I had plans to do the whole trip at some point.

HTIOI,
Dave

Turns out the X53 does have a reg (don't know where it was when I looked earlier??) but I'm guessing First is no longer going to serve Exeter.

PH0006159/415 - FIRST HAMPSHIRE & DORSET LTD, BUS DEPOT, EMPRESS ROAD, SOUTHAMPTON, SO14 0JW
Registration Accepted
Starting Point: Weymouth, College/ Kings Statue
Finish Point: Bridport Coach Station
Via: Abbotsbury, West Bay
Service Number: X53

Cue an apocalyptic blog from FBB on Public Transport Experience.... Mind you, he's vehemently anti First

carlberry

Established Member

So the evidence that people stick with what they know and recognise is used to justify changing everything!! I assume you've got shares with car manufacturers.
Actually the 'might actually use other services' bit did work when First renumbered the 352 to the 1, and the people wanting to get to Westbury that ended up in Weston certainly moaned!