• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
I agree that 54 and 377 will not interwork.
As you may know there is an 0729 and 0730 377 from Yeovil. Possibly a case could be made to replace these two with one decker. But otherwise no need for deckers on 377, although the possibility is there.

The most interesting thing for me is from where the 77 will operate. If Wells continue to run the service as a BoS outstation, whats the point of changing companies?
If Yeovil were to be the base then maybe the rumour for the last couple of years about Yeovil joining BoS could be true.
We shall see.

Lots of what ifs and speculation at the moment and we will have to see, as you say.

IF Yeovil were to move to BoS, then you'd be expecting a raft of other registrations for the Yeovil town plus 57/58 as well to move it from FHD. Yeovil has done quite well in terms of fleet improvements with FHD but additional work would support that depot if the 377 were worked from there. It has never been the same since it lost the 54 work (though the decline of Yeovil has been apparent over many years with the 52 and 61 among others).

The 377 doesn't need deckers but then again, the 54 doesn't really (save Taunton college runs apparently). Remember 10 years ago when it was 4 x B7RLEs. It "appears" that they tend to have deckers on there mainly because they're available not because of loadings.

Once the timetables appear on Traveline, that will help shed some light on things. Also, when appropriate, FSW Official may also provide some info.

Whatever the truth ACTUALLY is (rather than our idle speculation), it is certainly another interesting development in the battle with Webberbus :)

EDIT: Wonder if the X reg MPDs might get DDA upgraded for some of this work. Then again, why spend on 16 year old vehicles?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CD

Lots of what ifs and speculation at the moment and we will have to see, as you say.

IF Yeovil were to move to BoS, then you'd be expecting a raft of other registrations for the Yeovil town plus 57/58 as well to move it from FHD. Yeovil has done quite well in terms of fleet improvements with FHD but additional work would support that depot if the 377 were worked from there. It has never been the same since it lost the 54 work (though the decline of Yeovil has been apparent over many years with the 52 and 61 among others).

The 377 doesn't need deckers but then again, the 54 doesn't really (save Taunton college runs apparently). Remember 10 years ago when it was 4 x B7RLEs. It "appears" that they tend to have deckers on there mainly because they're available not because of loadings.

Once the timetables appear on Traveline, that will help shed some light on things. Also, when appropriate, FSW Official may also provide some info.

Whatever the truth ACTUALLY is (rather than our idle speculation), it is certainly another interesting development in the battle with Webberbus :)

EDIT: Wonder if the X reg MPDs might get DDA upgraded for some of this work. Then again, why spend on 16 year old vehicles?

Since the days of The new B7RLEs on 54 there has been an increase of 16-18 year old students travelling each day to Taunton College on 0700 from Yeovil. This also applies to 377 with students going to Street.
In my far off school days you stayed at the same school from 11 to 18 to do O and A levels. If you didn't do A levels you went to work at 16.But now there are so many non academic courses,only some of which can be studied locally, so many students have long cross county journeys each day to the course that suits them.

freetoview33

Established Member
I don't know if we covered this but

Service 48A – City Centre – UWE, Frenchay Campus via Fishponds

As the academic year comes to a close the frequency of Service 48A will reduce to every 15 minutes to reflect the lower demand for the service in the summer months. The current frequency will be restored at the start of the new academic year in September.

6 – Nailsea – Clevedon

This service will operate hourly between Nailsea and Clevedon following the withdrawal of Service A2. This doubles the number of buses between the towns, something often requested by local residents.

THarris123

Established Member

As the academic year comes to a close the frequency of Service 48A will reduce to every 15 minutes to reflect the lower demand for the service in the summer months. The current frequency will be restored at the start of the new academic year in September.

6 – Nailsea – Clevedon

This service will operate hourly between Nailsea and Clevedon following the withdrawal of Service A2. This doubles the number of buses between the towns, something often requested by local residents.

Interesting about the 6 - so there's only enough demand for that service to be 2 hourly on A2, but hourly by itself? Good to see though. Wonder if we'll see a Nailsea to Portishead service? I assume there is a lack of demand from Bristol Airport to Nailsea?

Wonder how the 6 will be worked? Off the X9? Or maybe we'll see an outstation open at Clevedon?

Class 33

Established Member
Not very interesting atall these changes. The 54 being an exact copy of the 53 being a bit pointless and bizzarre! Roll on late June or early July for news of the late August/early September changes, which hopefully should be a bit more interesting!

Last edited:

Colly405

I do wonder if the 54 isn't correct and we may see clarifications?

Certainly the Wessex 2 is incorrect as it links to the revised First 1/2 timetable...

Private Baxter

Established Member
I agree that 54 and 377 will not interwork.
As you may know there is an 0729 and 0730 377 from Yeovil. Possibly a case could be made to replace these two with one decker. But otherwise no need for deckers on 377, although the possibility is there.

The most interesting thing for me is from where the 77 will operate. If Wells continue to run the service as a BoS outstation, whats the point of changing companies?
If Yeovil were to be the base then maybe the rumour for the last couple of years about Yeovil joining BoS could be true.
We shall see.
Indeed, two buses leave Yeovil at virtually the same time, though if I'm right in thinking only one is outstationed in Yeovil overnight. Has done for years, and goes via Strode College, and used to serve Charlton Makerell as well. Since two are required, having a decker do it wouldn't be a bad shout. But you're right, from where it operates is a bit mysterious.

Have never done the 54, but am I right that it used to be jointly operated by Yeovil and Taunton? The four B7RLEs were 55 reg 66956/8/60-1, and were transferred from Bath some time in around 2007. You can still see on one of them where the green 54 sticker used to be.

6 – Nailsea – Clevedon

Glad to see the Nailsea - Clevedon service is being retained after all. Should keep a few people happy. And is this being worked by First do we know? And why 6?! Bit random.

Was down in Wells earlier, saw a few B7RLEs including 69458 on 174. Also saw 69445 on 126. Someone commented this is the only route this bus seems to work! Glad to see it has had that awful Bridgwater College ad removed from the back. 69437 was out working the extra afternoon 376, whilst the three B7s were on 375 and 377, among of course B7RLEs.The solo was in the depot (as usual) so by that logic a B7RLE must have been on 161 as well.

But as I arrived, a 375 was just leaving for Bridgwater, in the hands of 69438, and it was really quite well loaded, and yes I expect most were not travelling beyond Street, but even when I was in Street a little later in the day, there were queues of people waiting for both 375 and 377, though admittedly some were college students. It just got me thinking about these services, and what a shame it will be to see them go to BoS.

stait.john

Hengrove 54 service is the livening up of the Dead journeys on routes 70/71 from Depot to/from Temple Meads and as such will be operated by 70/71 pink branded vehicles.

From JF newsletter.

John

Class 33

Established Member
Hengrove 54 service is the livening up of the Dead journeys on routes 70/71 from Depot to/from Temple Meads and as such will be operated by 70/71 pink branded vehicles.

From JF newsletter.

John

Yes but what's the point of a different service number when it's a complete replica of the service 53 route? Why not these extra services just extra service 53 workings instead?

Last edited:

THarris123

Established Member
Yes but what's the point of a different service number when it's a complete replica of the service 53 route? Why not these extra services just extra service 53 workings instead?

I would have thought it is due to deckers will be on 54 and singles will be on 53. I suspect there are some slight differences between 53 and 54.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Seems silly to register a fresh service. Why not just extend either the X8 or X9 beyond Nailsea to Clevedon?

Dave

Ah yes that worked very well as an express service to Clevedon :)

6 and X6. Makes some sense to me.
Indeed, two buses leave Yeovil at virtually the same time, though if I'm right in thinking only one is outstationed in Yeovil overnight. Has done for years, and goes via Strode College, and used to serve Charlton Makerell as well. Since two are required, having a decker do it wouldn't be a bad shout. But you're right, from where it operates is a bit mysterious.

Have never done the 54, but am I right that it used to be jointly operated by Yeovil and Taunton? The four B7RLEs were 55 reg 66956/8/60-1, and were transferred from Bath some time in around 2007. You can still see on one of them where the green 54 sticker used to be.

Glad to see the Nailsea - Clevedon service is being retained after all. Should keep a few people happy. And is this being worked by First do we know? And why 6?! Bit random.

Was down in Wells earlier, saw a few B7RLEs including 69458 on 174. Also saw 69445 on 126. Someone commented this is the only route this bus seems to work! Glad to see it has had that awful Bridgwater College ad removed from the back. 69437 was out working the extra afternoon 376, whilst the three B7s were on 375 and 377, among of course B7RLEs.The solo was in the depot (as usual) so by that logic a B7RLE must have been on 161 as well.

But as I arrived, a 375 was just leaving for Bridgwater, in the hands of 69438, and it was really quite well loaded, and yes I expect most were not travelling beyond Street, but even when I was in Street a little later in the day, there were queues of people waiting for both 375 and 377, though admittedly some were college students. It just got me thinking about these services, and what a shame it will be to see them go to BoS.

I saw someone taking pictures next to Tesco watching the buses go out - don't suppose it was you? That was about 13.15ish

Well there's a surprise that 69445 is on 126 - probably 69440 was on there too. 69445 was on 173 the day before though, which was a relief to see :)

Private Baxter

Established Member
Seems silly to register a fresh service. Why not just extend either the X8 or X9 beyond Nailsea to Clevedon?
I suppose it wouldn't really then be an express route (and would become a replica of the former X8), and I think they want to promote their Nailsea services.
Dave

6 and X6. Makes some sense to me.

I saw someone taking pictures next to Tesco watching the buses go out - don't suppose it was you? That was about 13.15ish

Well there's a surprise that 69445 is on 126 - probably 69440 was on there too. 69445 was on 173 the day before though, which was a relief to see :)
I suppose 6 doesn't really interfere with the Kingswood 6, so not too silly a number really, but still.

Ha, no that wasn't me but I also saw him at around the same time, so you must have seen me inadvertently!!
Apparently the X18 is being withdrawn completely from 25th April. One less bus again between Kingswood and UWE!
Has the X18 not really worked then? Never quite sure what to make of it when it goes past.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I suppose 6 doesn't really interfere with the Kingswood 6, so not too silly a number really, but still.

Has the X18 not really worked then? Never quite sure what to make of it when it goes past.

Wonder if the 6 is a NSC inspired choice of number, though maybe it is related to the X6?

Guess the X18 cut is a way of dropping the PVR a little more

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Well surely 319 and other services cover that - 319 is trying to justify deckers, so a logical step really.

The 19 and the 81 are the only two routes, but they both are considerably longer than the X18. Furthermore, the 19 suffers from poor reliability at the best of times due to the long route it takes.

(I'm calling the 319 the 19 already just to get into the swing of things!)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

I'm very surprised you've not done the 54! Was certain you would've.

My first experience of the 54 was c.1991 and a round trip from Yeovil to Taunton and back. Outbound was a National, back was a VR, both in faded NBC green!! The service was generally only a two car working, one TN, one YL. It was two hourly with the odd extra thrown in (like the 54C - Charlton Mackerell to Yeovil). Think I've also done it with the standard yellow Merc 811s that SN used to run; may also have had a LN2 in later SN days?

It got pushed up to hourly and the 4 B7RLE's came in. I defer to Ron and Mike (CD and Henairs) but I though it was 3 YL and 1 TN in those days.

Last time I did it was 18 months ago with an ex Bath B6 (that I'd been on 3 months earlier on the 179). To be honest, the B6s are a bit gutless but fine on a service like that.

henairs

My first experience of the 54 was c.1991 and a round trip from Yeovil to Taunton and back. Outbound was a National, back was a VR, both in faded NBC green!! The service was generally only a two car working, one TN, one YL. It was two hourly with the odd extra thrown in (like the 54C - Charlton Mackerell to Yeovil). Think I've also done it with the standard yellow Merc 811s that SN used to run; may also have had a LN2 in later SN days?

It got pushed up to hourly and the 4 B7RLE's came in. I defer to Ron and Mike (CD and Henairs) but I though it was 3 YL and 1 TN in those days.

Last time I did it was 18 months ago with an ex Bath B6 (that I'd been on 3 months earlier on the 179). To be honest, the B6s are a bit gutless but fine on a service like that.
Hi Wazoo,
I remember the B7RLEs on the 54 well enough. Used to ride them along that route in 2007. 3 were at Yeo with 66961 based at Taunton.
There were other vehicles used on the route even then though.
I often went to Taunton on the bus just before nine am which worked out of town via Mudford Rd and Coombe St Lane where I used to board.
This Taunton working was often a Step-Dart with 46201/212 as well as 46197 being had on that duty. All in the June- Sep period of 2007.
66961 was also a good bet on this working as well.
In the morning only 2 of Yeo's B7RLEs were on 54 with the other if available often doing a return run to Wincanton on a 58 diagram.
In the late afternoon there were 3 early evening departures from Taunton to Yeovil as well as the 17 10 Yeovil via Podimore village/ Charlton Mackerell working heading to Taunton so 4 vehicles were required in that period.
16 40 TN was usually a B7RLE 17 05 TN often a Yeo Dart of either variant and the 17 40 TN again normally a B7RLE.
There was a couple of later runs but these were usually a Yeo based Merc and both runs were CC Subsidised.
Also remember an early morning Long Sutton working into Yeovil which the 54C used to pass at Taranto Hill area of Ilchester.
This was generally a Merc with the occasional Dart being used.
Believe that was just an inbound run the bus running empty out to Long Sutton to work it but maybe you can remember that working Ron and if I'm somewhere near to the mark.
Cheers, Mike R

Class 33

Established Member
I would have thought it is due to deckers will be on 54 and singles will be on 53. I suspect there are some slight differences between 53 and 54.

Yes, but that still is a very odd reason to have different service numbers. Makes more sense to just have these extra workings as extra service 53 workings if they're going exactly the same route. The use of single deckers and double deckers is not really relevant anyway, seeing as probably only a few people(if that!) will be on each working!

If indeed the routes will be exactly the same, it will be the first time in Bristol that there are two differently numbered bus services operating under the same company within the same period, where the routes are exactly the same!

THarris123

Established Member
Yes, but that still is a very odd reason to have different service numbers. Makes more sense to just have these extra workings as extra service 53 workings if they're going exactly the same route. The use of single deckers and double deckers is not really relevant anyway, seeing as probably only a few people(if that!) will be on each working!

If indeed the routes will be exactly the same, it will be the first time in Bristol that there are two differently numbered bus services operating under the same company within the same period, where the routes are exactly the same!

You're right. They are running the same route, but if you want to apply your logic, why not number them 51 or 50?

Think the only difference is the vehicle type and 54 is less frequent too.
Timetables are on Traveline for WoE now.

6 looks like it is a 1 bus working and I think it might be run by Weston. So that's then 11 extra buses for Weston and 6 less for Wells. Hmmm good.

15 in Bath - that will only be every 15 mins - I assume a reduction for summer?

Marcus Fryer

Aren't the Enviro 400 VE going to recharge during layover at UWE? Will this be in the bus station or the layby the East entrance? In either case has the infrastructure been completed - if it has, it's not obvious?

Had a closer look today - in the layby by the East Entrance there are a couple of new manhole covers which seem connected to nearby electricity cabins, so presumably the recharging equipment lies beneath them. See photo below.

With regard to the Romney Avenue bus link, it's only 200 - 300 yards long. It's been practically finished for over a year. I would guess the problem is objections from residents of Danby Street (at the Cheswick end) to buses using their road to reach the link?

After many months of inactivity, the final bit of the link has recently been completed, with a continuous road surface now between Romney Avenue and Danby Street. The previous hoardings have been replaced by concrete blocks across the road (in slightly different locations) and it is now possible to walk through from Cheswick to Lockleaze via the link (which it wasn't before). All that remains is for the 'Buses Only' signs to be attached to the poles. The photo shows the link in its entirety, taken from Danby Street looking towards Lockleaze; the link ends at the 30mph signs in the distance.

Any bets whether the link will open before, after or at the same time as the Enviro 400 VE start being used?

Attachments

• IMG_5257.jpg
    IMG_5257.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_5258.jpg
    IMG_5258.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 24

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
I can't understand any logic behind the 54. The route is identical to the 53.

They're just placement journeys so the idea of having different numbers based on vehicle type or frequency doesn't make sense
6 looks like it is a 1 bus working and I think it might be run by Weston. So that's then 11 extra buses for Weston and 6 less for Wells. Hmmm good.

I doubt WS is going to be down that many especially if it's as overstaffed as you suggest. Might point to the 178/379 heading to WS with some clever rolling breaks?

Private Baxter

Established Member
Ha! Indeed it is a strange omission on my part but it's true, I have not done that route. Perhaps I should have done.
Hi Wazoo,
I remember the B7RLEs on the 54 well enough. Used to ride them along that route in 2007. 3 were at Yeo with 66961 based at Taunton.
There were other vehicles used on the route even then though.
I often went to Taunton on the bus just before nine am which worked out of town via Mudford Rd and Coombe St Lane where I used to board.
This Taunton working was often a Step-Dart with 46201/212 as well as 46197 being had on that duty. All in the June- Sep period of 2007.
66961 was also a good bet on this working as well.
In the morning only 2 of Yeo's B7RLEs were on 54 with the other if available often doing a return run to Wincanton on a 58 diagram.
In the late afternoon there were 3 early evening departures from Taunton to Yeovil as well as the 17 10 Yeovil via Podimore village/ Charlton Mackerell working heading to Taunton so 4 vehicles were required in that period.
16 40 TN was usually a B7RLE 17 05 TN often a Yeo Dart of either variant and the 17 40 TN again normally a B7RLE.
There was a couple of later runs but these were usually a Yeo based Merc and both runs were CC Subsidised.
Also remember an early morning Long Sutton working into Yeovil which the 54C used to pass at Taranto Hill area of Ilchester.
This was generally a Merc with the occasional Dart being used.
Believe that was just an inbound run the bus running empty out to Long Sutton to work it but maybe you can remember that working Ron and if I'm somewhere near to the mark.
Cheers, Mike R
Thanks for the rundown! I had been wondering about that. I knew that 66956/8/60-1 were split between the two depots but didn't know how many, which ones, and were. They only spent about a year at Bath before being transferred. As I may have mentioned on here not long ago, I did the 58 once from Wincanton to Yeovil on one of them.
I certainly remember the darts on 54 back in the early 2000s.
I can't understand any logic behind the 54. The route is identical to the 53.

They're just placement journeys so the idea of having different numbers based on vehicle type or frequency doesn't make sense

I doubt WS is going to be down that many especially if it's as overstaffed as you suggest. Might point to the 178/379 heading to WS with some clever rolling breaks?
Occasionally you see streetlites on the 70/71! Agreed though, a very odd and unprecedented move as far as I can tell. Has anyone on here ever used the 53?
And yes, Wells depot must surely have something up their sleeves.

Marc

The 19 and the 81 are the only two routes, but they both are considerably longer than the X18. Furthermore, the 19 suffers from poor reliability at the best of times due to the long route it takes.

x18 was a south glos vanity project funded by develloper funding, never going to be sustanable after the money run out. i think you should be grateful to have the choice of two other routes instead!

I can't understand any logic behind the 54. The route is identical to the 53. They're just placement journeys so the idea of having different numbers based on vehicle type or frequency doesn't make sense

looking closely at the details on travelline, 54 is terminating at the bottom of temple medes approach, where 53 runs from under the cannopys. i would be very suprised if 54 was not supposed to be the double deck workings. this does asume that the data on travelline is right :):):)

Private Baxter

Established Member
x18 was a south glos vanity project funded by develloper funding, never going to be sustanable after the money run out. i think you should be grateful to have the choice of two other routes instead!

looking closely at the details on travelline, 54 is terminating at the bottom of temple medes approach, where 53 runs from under the cannopys. i would be very suprised if 54 was not supposed to be the double deck workings. this does asume that the data on travelline is right :):):)
I didn't realise that X18 was privately funded. I remember when it started and they sent seven darts over from Bath to do the route, which were all put in to new livery specially.

So that's the difference! 54 stops a few meters short of 53 and this is worthy of its own number. They are also introducing a new Wells to Shepton service. It follows exactly the same route as the 161, but uses a streetdeck and goes from Bay 5 at Wells Bus Station rather than Bay 4, so they are numbering it 162. ;)

THarris123

Established Member
I didn't realise that X18 was privately funded. I remember when it started and they sent seven darts over from Bath to do the route, which were all put in to new livery specially.

So that's the difference! 54 stops a few meters short of 53 and this is worthy of its own number. They are also introducing a new Wells to Shepton service. It follows exactly the same route as the 161, but uses a streetdeck and goes from Bay 5 at Wells Bus Station rather than Bay 4, so they are numbering it 162. ;)

Before anyone asks - no they aren't starting a new service called 162! It wouldn't work anyway from bay 5 - don't think there's enough reversing room. You should have said they're going to run it from bay 3 or 2, which would work. Just thought i'd be pedantic and point it out :)