• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D2007wsm

Established Member
Could well be 32003. All i saw was a purple decker going past work all day and saw it this evening with a coaster sticker on the back.
When I seen it the other day, a vague attempt had been made to remove the Coaster branding, some was gone but some still in situe.

Adds a bit of colour to Wells though, what with that and the pink B7 there before.

THarris123

Established Member
When I seen it the other day, a vague attempt had been made to remove the Coaster branding, some was gone but some still in situe.

Adds a bit of colour to Wells though, what with that and the pink B7 there before.
Certainly does. After seeing 32008 go past yesterday and then a purple decker today, I initially thought I was going colour blind.

D2007wsm

Established Member
If it's 32014 it must have been borrowed from WM as it had not transferred to Bath as far as I know.
32014 along with 32351/2 have been transferred back to Bath.

47559/47560 have also been transferred from Weston to Hengrove, to replace 47459/47560 which have gone to Glasgow. These two are drivibg rouns Bristol complete with their Weston College adverts on the back. Weston has got 32544/32566. B7s Geminis to replace the two Streetlites on the 7s.

THarris123

Established Member
32014 along with 32351/2 have been transferred back to Bath.

47559/47560 have also been transferred from Weston to Hengrove, to replace 47459/47560 which have gone to Glasgow. These two are drivibg rouns Bristol complete with their Weston College adverts on the back. Weston has got 32544/32566. B7s Geminis to replace the two Streetlites on the 7s.
Thought they might be doing that.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Wonder which streetdeck is missing in Wells for these older ones to be making appearances.
On his site Steve also mentions 66721 and 33925 (damaged in an RTA a week or so ago) and the possibility that neither may come back.

THarris123

Established Member
Wonder which streetdeck is missing in Wells for these older ones to be making appearances.
On his site Steve also mentions 66721 and 33925 (damaged in an RTA a week or so ago) and the possibility that neither may come back.
35164 is back from accident damage and I believe 35165 is back from gearbox issues. 35148 is around. Not seen much of the rest. Could be 35160 or 35161 off the road as I haven't seen either of them for a while.

D2007wsm

Established Member
42897 doing the honours on the 20 today. The 7s have an assortment as well with B7 Geminis, Darts, Streetlites ab orange E400 and even an E200.

Last edited:

D2007wsm

Established Member
I think the preference for any extra buses would be deckers. They are however good at moving crowds at major events.

It wasn't so long ago there was talk of the Bath Bendies going and it would be fun trying to get these permanltly into Hengrove or Lawrence Hill.

THarris123

Established Member
There's some speculation in the FirstBus Enthusiasts group on Facebook that up to 9 bendybuses from Aberdeen are heading to Bristol. Seems a bit of a random transfer, unless they're for extra university work in the West Country.
Maybe theyre for Metrobus as a temporary measure until they bring in new vehicles? Or maybe they're for Bath to use on U1, which could displace some MMCs to U2 and replace W reg ALX400s, displace the Scanias to Metrobus and replace the W reg Bendies?

Whiteway215

Established Member
Following 32351/2 coming to Bath from Weston, then 47554 and now 47544 heading to Hengrove, this seems to have resulted in a couple of deckers appearing on the 4.
32008 and one of 32636-8 were on the 4 yesterday.

Also 66355 was running in Bath today but not sure what it was used on.

carlberry

Established Member
There's some speculation in the FirstBus Enthusiasts group on Facebook that up to 9 bendybuses from Aberdeen are heading to Bristol. Seems a bit of a random transfer, unless they're for extra university work in the West Country.

Bristol does have a history of using cast off bendy buses for services that have previously been advertised by the council as using 'specially designed, state of the art vehicles'!

D2007wsm

Established Member
Maybe theyre for Metrobus as a temporary measure until they bring in new vehicles? Or maybe they're for Bath to use on U1, which could displace some MMCs to U2 and replace W reg ALX400s, displace the Scanias to Metrobus and replace the W reg Bendies?
The Metrobus Scannias are only being used and stored in Bath rather than them being sat idle at Hengrove. It has always been the intention that when the first phase of the Metrobus opens, they'll be returned to Hengrove.

If Bath are that desperate for E400MMs for the U2, the ones currently being used on the U1 in Bristol should be freed up. As for more bendies for Bath, the bendies don't like Bathwick Hill, I went up to the Uni on one back in September and it was embarrisiling slow going up Bathwick Hill. Newer deckers in some form will no dought be freed up sometime this year to operate the U2.

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
Took the bus yesterday and the day before so asked for 'Hawkeridge Business Park Roundabout' and twice (two different drivers) I got sold a Heywood Turn ticket. It took them sometime looking at the machine, but IIRC this is the stop before! Got off the next stop at Hawkeridge where I wanted to go anyway.

THarris123

Established Member
North Somerset changes from 14/1/18 on Travelwest:
W7 down to every 15 mins (presumably due to deckers running on the service)
W5 reduced to hourly
W5A new service to Bleadon hourly
A2 dropping in frequency to every 2 hours and 5 mins
X8/9 minor punctuation changes (presumably too many commas and apostrophes)

D2007wsm

Established Member
North Somerset changes from 14/1/18 on Travelwest:
W7 down to every 15 mins (presumably due to deckers running on the service)
W5 reduced to hourly
W5A new service to Bleadon hourly
A2 dropping in frequency to every 2 hours and 5 mins
X8/9 minor punctuation changes (presumably too many commas and apostrophes)
If the 7 is fun at a 15 min frequency using the same about of buses, this would allow for a robust timetable with plenty of recovery time. Hopefully, improving punctuality.

Private Baxter

Established Member
171 and 175 have been cancelled from 14/1/18
Unfortunate news, but not totally surprised about 171. Thought the half hourly Wells Shepton service has worked well (one fast one slow) but guess the figures do not agree. A shame. People of Dinder won't be happy as I can't see them re-routing the 174.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Unfortunate news, but not totally surprised about 171. Thought the half hourly Wells Shepton service has worked well (one fast one slow) but guess the figures do not agree. A shame. People of Dinder won't be happy as I can't see them re-routing the 174.

The loss of the 171 was one of the more obvious candidates - it was on my list of 2017 predictions!! All it does is abstract traffic from the 172-4 except for a extension to the Circle hospital.

The 175 is more of a surprise but guess that the additional traffic generated has not offset the costs.

As for the deckers currently working the U1 in Bristol, wasn't it the case that their future was dependent on the outcome of the other Metrobus services? IIRC, there was some speculation that if First wasn't going to be running more of those services, then they could head to the X39. That could just be enthusiast dreaming though! Can't say the base livery excites me but perhaps it'll look better with vinyls applied. Interesting that they are ADL chassis rather than Scania though.

The reports of B7LAs heading down from Aberdeen.... Do we have any sort of credible source for this? It would be very surprising if they did head south as a) they're massively thirsty, b) there's nothing readily apparent for them to go on and c) they've relegated the existing bendies to peak hour working anyway.