• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

THarris123

Established Member
The loss of the 171 was one of the more obvious candidates - it was on my list of 2017 predictions!! All it does is abstract traffic from the 172-4 except for a extension to the Circle hospital.

The 175 is more of a surprise but guess that the additional traffic generated has not offset the costs.

As for the deckers currently working the U1 in Bristol, wasn't it the case that their future was dependent on the outcome of the other Metrobus services? IIRC, there was some speculation that if First wasn't going to be running more of those services, then they could head to the X39. That could just be enthusiast dreaming though! Can't say the base livery excites me but perhaps it'll look better with vinyls applied. Interesting that they are ADL chassis rather than Scania though.

The reports of B7LAs heading down from Aberdeen.... Do we have any sort of credible source for this? It would be very surprising if they did head south as a) they're massively thirsty, b) there's nothing readily apparent for them to go on and c) they've relegated the existing bendies to peak hour working anyway.
First have won another Metrobus contract so the U1 Scanias will go on that

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freetoview33

Established Member
Another case to prove my point, I saw a 76 at The Venue this afternoon, heading towards Henbury with a good 20+ people on, I will stick to what I said that it is the best used service Between Cribbs and Henbury.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Another case to prove my point, I saw a 76 at The Venue this afternoon, heading towards Henbury with a good 20+ people on, I will stick to what I said that it is the best used service Between Cribbs and Henbury.

To be fair, there's no shortage of buses from Henbury to Cribbs and you would think that First (with all the ridership info they have) will have made an informed decision.

freetoview33

Established Member
To be fair, there's no shortage of buses from Henbury to Cribbs and you would think that First (with all the ridership info they have) will have made an informed decision.
It's an odd one, it is a well used service but out of any of the busses it is the only one that could be cut, it will just annoy a lot of passengers.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
It's an odd one, it is a well used service but out of any of the busses it is the only one that could be cut, it will just annoy a lot of passengers.

Will it really inconvenience a lot of passengers? North of Bemmie, it generally mirrors either the 75 or 2 apart from two very short sections (and one of those is covered by the 1 and 3), and whilst there may be some people from Hartcliffe or Bishopsworth who might want to go to Cribbs, I wonder how many it actually is??

You can see why First are cutting it back - will probably save them 2 or 3 vehicles and for what, I suspect, is relatively little discomfort.

ValleyLines142

Established Member

To be fair it's only because it's Black Friday weekend and people have gone shopping.

Marcus Fryer

What it will do is halve the number of buses per hour between Crow Lane and Cribbs, and between Doncaster Road/Greystoke Avenue and Cribbs. If the 1 and 2 were more reliable this wouldn't be a problem, but they do have a tendency to bunch (as does the 76). Perhaps more real time information at stops would compensate for the loss of the 76.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
What it will do is halve the number of buses per hour between Crow Lane and Cribbs, and between Doncaster Road/Greystoke Avenue and Cribbs. If the 1 and 2 were more reliable this wouldn't be a problem, but they do have a tendency to bunch (as does the 76). Perhaps more real time information at stops would compensate for the loss of the 76.

Appreciate all of that but the point still stands in that most of the links can be retained using other services. Also, the 4 still runs from Crow Lane so not quite a halving of the frequency

THarris123

Established Member
Steve White says on his website that most of the B7ls have now been withdrawn (apart from 66355 which is in Bath, covering for 66936 which is in Wells replacing 66721)

Marcus Fryer

Appreciate all of that but the point still stands in that most of the links can be retained using other services. Also, the 4 still runs from Crow Lane so not quite a halving of the frequency
That's one reason why there needs to be better real time information, because if a 4 turns up on the other side of the road there isn't usually time to get across the traffic to catch it (often it will pass the stop in Station Rd without stopping).

freetoview33

Established Member
I also guess with the new tickets First should be able to track people much better and see what busses they get and have better info on what people want.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
If the 4 even runs!
Hardly a justification to continue running a service just in case another one doesn't arrive. Perhaps the 4 might be more reliable if there's a lower driver and vehicle requirement?

Excuse my dumbness but with Tom's comment about Metrobus (and First operating another service)..... do we know when Metrobus will actually start (Feb?) and what is the other route?

Marcus Fryer

Hardly a justification to continue running a service just in case another one doesn't arrive. Perhaps the 4 might be more reliable if there's a lower driver and vehicle requirement
I think the unreliability of services around north Bristol is more often the result of traffic congestion than crew/vehicle shortage?

freetoview33

Established Member
I think the unreliability of services around north Bristol is more often the result of traffic congestion than crew/vehicle shortage?
True, but the 3/4 are very unreliable services, between 4pm and 6pm there are suppose to be 12/14 busses, you would be lucky if 6 turn up! Toppled with it being the busiest time for the 76, means the 1 will be overfull! I can't see this change lasting long.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
True, but the 3/4 are very unreliable services, between 4pm and 6pm there are suppose to be 12/14 busses, you would be lucky if 6 turn up! Toppled with it being the busiest time for the 76, means the 1 will be overfull! I can't see this change lasting long.

How would you know that? Are you stood ticking them off?

I'm more certain that this will be a change that lasts!

THarris123

Established Member
Maybe Metrobus will change the overcrowding on the 1.

Although I hate seeing cuts in First I'm actually of the view that the changes in January are quite intelligent for First and long overdue.

171 was never going to work, 175 is (as what someone told me) a glorified school run and 76 just duplicates other services.

Aberdeen have told West of England they need to make cuts so profitability will improve. What other cuts would you make freetoview33? The changes in January save 11 vehicles supposedly at Hengrove.

First have won the other Metrobus route, but not sure which one. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it'll be Cribbs Causeway to Hengrove. I think there are three contracts and First have currently won two. This was mentioned on Facebook.

I was under the impression that M1 would start in Jan 18.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
A mixture of waiting for busses than never turn up and looking out my window!

You need to find something better to do with your time
Maybe Metrobus will change the overcrowding on the 1.

Although I hate seeing cuts in First I'm actually of the view that the changes in January are quite intelligent for First and long overdue.

171 was never going to work, 175 is (as what someone told me) a glorified school run and 76 just duplicates other services.

Aberdeen have told West of England they need to make cuts so profitability will improve. What other cuts would you make freetoview33? The changes in January save 11 vehicles supposedly at Hengrove.

First have won the other Metrobus route, but not sure which one. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say it'll be Cribbs Causeway to Hengrove. I think there are three contracts and First have currently won two. This was mentioned on Facebook.

Think that's a pretty fair assessment. My view (FWIW) was that the 171 was really only registered as a spoiler when Tim at Somerbus was looking to move into semi-retirement, rather than risk someone like Wessex registering it and thereby establishing a monopoly over the corridor.

Aberdeen really only do the financial reporting? More likely to come out of UK Bus which is based (ahem) elsewhere.

Are they really dropping 11 vehicles at Hengrove? Be surprised if the savings on the 50 and 76 are that extensive (or am I missing something else?)

swifty

Established Member

I didn't realise there were any Metrobus 'contracts' to win? I was always under the impression that any operator was welcome to provide a commercial service along the route providing the vehicles met the basic specification the council set?

I'd assumed that was why the Scanias have been put on the UWE route so that they can make use of the M32 junction when it opens.

freetoview33

Established Member
I didn't realise there were any Metrobus 'contracts' to win? I was always under the impression that any operator was welcome to provide a commercial service along the route providing the vehicles met the basic specification the council set?

I'd assumed that was why the Scanias have been put on the UWE route so that they can make use of the M32 junction when it opens.
The M32 bus junction is going to be for Metrobus only, other coaches and busses won't be allowed to use it.

THarris123

Established Member
You need to find something better to do with your time

Think that's a pretty fair assessment. My view (FWIW) was that the 171 was really only registered as a spoiler when Tim at Somerbus was looking to move into semi-retirement, rather than risk someone like Wessex registering it and thereby establishing a monopoly over the corridor.

Aberdeen really only do the financial reporting? More likely to come out of UK Bus which is based (ahem) elsewhere.

Are they really dropping 11 vehicles at Hengrove? Be surprised if the savings on the 50 and 76 are that extensive (or am I missing something else?)
I was rather surprised by that one too. It might be that it's a saving of 11 vehicles on a Sunday (with P&R cancelled would make sense).
50 might save 1 vehicle. I suspect 76 will be the big saver though.

THarris123

Established Member

Only reporting whats been said. Think there is Metrobus stuff which states it's in three parts.

swifty

Established Member
The M32 bus junction is going to be for Metrobus only, other coaches and busses won't be allowed to use it.

But will it be, Metrobus seem quite good at hiding the facts. A quick look on the web doesn't mention other buses being prohibited. Hence my comments above about the Scania meeting the requirements to use the infrastructure.

Marcus Fryer

Having read this, I think you have been mislead by the way it is written. I think they are really saying all the extra bus lanes (such as those round the Centre) will be open to other buses, taxis, cyclists and emergency vehicles (as is the case with existing bus lanes) EXCEPT that cyclists can't use the M32 bus ramp because cyclists can't use the M32, but this exclusion for the M32 ramp doesn't apply to other buses, taxis or emergency vehicles? Also, the guided busway between Long Ashton and Cumberland Road will only be able to be used by guided buses (but not necessarily only Metrobus, e.g. buses on the A1 if they have guide wheels)?

THarris123

Established Member
Changes that have currently come up on Vosa for Jan:
Bath - U1, 3, 4 and 37 all timetable changes. 171 cancelled
Weston - changes to timetables 5, 7, A2 and X8/9
Wells - cancellation of 175
Bristol - 22 timetable change