• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

carlberry

Established Member
Does seem odd, why would they spend so much money on 13 (soon 14) year old end of life artics.
I suspect they'll be in service in Bath for many years and the U1's recent rerouting was to try to help with air pollution targets (because all pollution is caused by buses and none by taxis, vans or cars).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

THarris123

Established Member
I suspect they'll be in service in Bath for many years and the U1's recent rerouting was to try to help with air pollution targets (because all pollution is caused by buses and none by taxis, vans or cars).
Don't forget there's only pollution in the central area of Bath, nothing around the outside

Jordan Adam

Established Member

Not that surprising if i'm honest, there's no real suitable replacement for them. Citaro G's are too expensive, while no decker can match the overall capacity.

83G/84D

Established Member
Also posted in the first Kernow thread but repeated here as might be of interest.

I have today been out observing and travelling on the rail replacement service between Exeter and Taunton. First and numerous other coach companies were involved in the operation and everything seemed to run smoothly. There were plenty of staff on hand including some familiar faces from First Kernow. All the drivers were helpful and friendly whilst also reminding all passengers to ensure they used the seatbelts provided.

First South West / Kernow observations were:-

Scania K114:- 23325, 23318, 23315, 23322, 23011.

Volvo B12B;- 20556, 20557.

Volvo B9R:- 20808, 20811, 20809.

Dart:- 43907 (Bike Bus).

E200:- 44508 (staff shuttle @ Taunton).

Ex SPS hire in’s were:-

Mercedes Benz Tourismo:- BN17 JHV (920), BF65 HVN (923), BN17 JHZ (921).

Yutong;- YG65 APZ (2), YJ14 JFK (17), YC15 WDF (1), YJ14 JFG.

All the former SPS vehicles carried FSW legals.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Despite all its mates leaving for pastures new, 47545 is still clinging on to Bath. Seen coming in from Frome this afternoon.

henairs

Hi,
44914 and 47561 (pm) on Wells depot today whilst 32291 was one of 5 Deckers on the Bath schedules.
Mike R

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Couple of interesting workings today include 37348 on the 35, which was swapped with 47571 at Lawrence Hill (that didn't go down well!), 66937 on the 43, 17 branded 37007 on the 44 and 66956 on the 90.

33940 also on the 22 Computershare service.

Just seen 33964 and it really isn't sounding too well!

33961 is exactly the same!

AB93

Couple of interesting workings today include 37348 on the 35, which was swapped with 47571 at Lawrence Hill (that didn't go down well!), 66937 on the 43, 17 branded 37007 on the 44 and 66956 on the 90.

33940 also on the 22 Computershare service.

Original Dart on the 35 trapped on The Horsefair for nearly an hour due to the fire brigade attending an incident. Not ideal on a two hourly service!

22 it’s reasonably common to see Park & Ride or Uni buses on, they’ll use whatever’s spare in the yard.

D2007wsm

Established Member
A RUMOUR which I heard from a driver is, most of the Streetlites in Weston will be departing bar the 3 Excel liveried vehicles and replaced with B7RLEs in line with service changes to the Excel network in April. So we may see some B7RLEs in Excel orange.

This begs the question as what will act as spare vehicles for the remaining Streetlites, Darts and E200MMCs. Currently Weston’s Streetlites are a jack of all trades and appear on anything as and when required. However, B7RLEs can’t be used on the 5 due to Uphill or the X7 due to Locking Castle as they are too long. Everything else they should be fine on, the 3s now they don’t go round by Ellenborough Park would work, though it may be a bit hairy at times on the Bournville or round Verbena Way in Worle and the 7s are definitely fine as the 7 was home for them for quite a while.

I presume these will also be the spare bus for the A3 should some be kept in Urban? The Streetlites are used on the A3 a couple of morning and evenings a week to allow maintenance and cleaning of the E200MMCs. However, should be used it’s quite a different in standards to the E200MMCs as some of them are quite ropey internally. I don’t think Bristol Airport would be too keen on an Excel Streetlite or a Badgerline Dart turning up on an A3. Although an Excel Streetlite has made an appearance at Bristol Airport on an A3 during disruption.

CD

That’s a surprise Ron. That on the WM Bus forum?
First bus Enthusiasts. It was seen yesterday in Leicester still in Mendip livery. I see that it last worked for FWoE on 14th Feb.
They claim all of 69437-48/57/58 are going to Leicester. If so then there must be plans to bring more Geminis to Wells.

Last edited:

Private Baxter

Established Member
First bus Enthusiasts. It was seen yesterday in Leicester still in Mendip livery. I see that it last worked for FWoE on 14th Feb.
They claim all of 69437-48/57/58 are going to Leicester. If so then there must be plans to bring more Geminis to Wells.
That's a shame. Some of the best buses in the fleet in my opinion. Going up to join 69449-56/59-60 if they're still there. (69435-6 had moved to Worcester). So if true the plan to put them on South Gloucs lynx has been revised. Wonder what the plan, if any, is for these routes now.
Interesting gossip about B7RLEs working in Weston. If not the Wells batch, wonder where these could be coming from?

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
That's a shame. Some of the best buses in the fleet in my opinion. Going up to join 69449-56/59-60 if they're still there. (69435-6 had moved to Worcester). So if true the plan to put them on South Gloucs lynx has been revised. Wonder what the plan, if any, is for these routes now.
Interesting gossip about B7RLEs working in Weston. If not the Wells batch, wonder where these could be coming from?

Interesting given 69448’s repaint.

All of 69435/6/49-56/59/60 are at Worcester for the 144 Salt Road Service to Bromsgrove and Birmingham.

Robertj21a

On Moderation

Yes, those 14 Volvos are transferring to Leicester. Some Streetlites will follow in due course.

carlberry

Established Member
I suppose it will be the B9s, as was always the plan. As to what eventually ends up on the T2, Y4, 178 etc is another matter.
I was left wondering this morning, as I past it in Bristol, as to why Wells has collected various barbie liveried deckers but hasn't had the remaining ex Severn Express (i.e. identical to Mendip Express) liveried vehicle transferred.

matt_splat

I was left wondering this morning, as I past it in Bristol, as to why Wells has collected various barbie liveried deckers but hasn't had the remaining ex Severn Express (i.e. identical to Mendip Express) liveried vehicle transferred.

i have been wondering this for a long time now

Private Baxter

Established Member
I heard Streetlites from Weston at least on the 178
Good choice for the 178.... after all they'll he doing what they used to do!

And just thinking, with 69438 said to already be in Leicester, and more to follow, it could explain why so many random buses are showing up in Wells. Make do with anything until a more permanent fleet is ready.

D2007wsm

Established Member
Possibly because it is knackered and isn’t it a B7 rather than a B9? When they came off the Severn Express they were very ropey.

But if the Streetlites do transfer back to Marlborough Street, it begs the question, what B7RLEs will be sent to Weston to replace the Streetlites? The 3 Excel Streetlites won’t be enough.

This is what I have heard from various drivers.

CD

Good choice for the 178.... after all they'll he doing what they used to do!

And just thinking, with 69438 said to already be in Leicester, and more to follow, it could explain why so many random buses are showing up in Wells. Make do with anything until a more permanent fleet is ready.
Streetdecks 35148/163 both being long time off the road is probably the reason for the loans from Bath.