• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AllanMacF

Regarding long lives, of 32004 etc., Cheltenham District KSW 8562 (UHY 375) was withdrawn on 1st October 1975, which was the 20th anniversary of entering service, and it became the first bus of a descendant of Bristol Tramways to achieve 20 years of service (without rebuild or rebodying). Its replacement was one of the P-reg'd VRs, yet when those in turn came to be withdrawn, several saw over 20 years of service (though many saw a lot less!), as did several newer VRs.
On another historical note, the impending withdrawal of 32002/8/9 (W802/8/9 PAE) will eliminate the traditional Bristol registration mark AE from the fleet (excluding open-toppers). AE registrations have been featured ever since the first BT&CC bus entered service in 1906, 114 years ago!

Private Baxter

Established Member
Would they have 4 single decks for 2 boards? Just keep a pair of them and 66720. Then five others plus 69448 can be used for the Bath 5.

The eLeather depends. Not great on a Streetlite (as generally a choppier ride anyway) but thought it ok on the Streetdecks and the 2013 e400s. Certainly not a great fan of it in the e400mmcs though, especially the 368** Scanias. The one batch of vehicles, and apologies for mentioning again, that have superb interiors (IMHO) are the U1 33491-9

However, I just tend to prefer moquette. The mk2 Barbie lilac moquette.(which is only now worn by the ex Bolton B9s) seemed to fade really badly, worse than the older original. The use of the original in 69437 et al to replace the lilac was an improvement and it compliments the interior.

Now I know you like the green and blue moquette that first appeared on the Bristol P&R fleet, and on those, it looks ok. However, it doesn't quite go with the interior of the Solo SRs. As for it being used on 37605 etc.... Light grey interiors with lilac accents and dark purple seat backs with green/blue discordant patterned fabric..... I think it looks terrible. It was clearly a bloke who selected that as no woman would choose that combo!!! They really should've chosen the something like this https://www.flickr.com/photos/34016627@N07/49394717362/in/photolist-2ifQQzY-2ifwvC5-FXP5Av

Hopefully, the withdrawals will remove the final purveyors of the 1999-2002 seating that was some of the worst going. I can remember travelling on B10BLEs 62193/4 and they were great buses but very uncomfortable.

EDIT: passed 66732 on the D1 this morning!
I have only seen the U1 interior from the outside, but agree it looks great! I don't disagree about the moquette on the B9s, but I don't think they were really considering other internal colours when they fitted it, rather just make do with what we've got kind of attitude.
The later barbie moquette did tend to fade, and you're right you don't see it about much anymore. Bath B7RLE 66726 uses it, and other than the ones you mentioned I'm not sure what else. When new however, i thought it looked really good and preferred it to the original style.
As for B7RLEs heading to Bath, I would imagine 69437/43-47 will head (making six), leaving 69457-8 in Wells, plus 66720. Whether a fourth single is needed as general spare I don't know. Maybe not.

AllanMacF

There's a lot of speculation about what is to move where to replace what, but this I don't get - last September, we received 54, 55 and 07-reg'd Geminis from Scotland, while now it's proposed to send native 05, 55 and 56-reg'd Gems to Cornwall. Surely, even if the SN55s have been repainted, it'd be better to keep the "devil you know", especially if the X39's 09-reg'd go on to the 24 and displace those SN55s. I mean, the branding on these is just a green spot.

Private Baxter

Established Member
Regarding long lives, of 32004 etc., Cheltenham District KSW 8562 (UHY 375) was withdrawn on 1st October 1975, which was the 20th anniversary of entering service, and it became the first bus of a descendant of Bristol Tramways to achieve 20 years of service (without rebuild or rebodying). Its replacement was one of the P-reg'd VRs, yet when those in turn came to be withdrawn, several saw over 20 years of service (though many saw a lot less!), as did several newer VRs.
On another historical note, the impending withdrawal of 32002/8/9 (W802/8/9 PAE) will eliminate the traditional Bristol registration mark AE from the fleet (excluding open-toppers). AE registrations have been featured ever since the first BT&CC bus entered service in 1906, 114 years ago!
Very interesting, thank you. And I didn't know that about AE. Makes sense, we had N-KAE, P-PAE, R-BAE... But that never clicked! Glad a few are staying on as open toppers into the foreseeable future. Gaining work as an open top prolongues their life significantly!! :D

Tommy Walters

The later barbie moquette did tend to fade, and you're right you don't see it about much anymore. Bath B7RLE 66726 uses it, and other than the ones you mentioned I'm not sure what else. When new however, i thought it looked really good and preferred it to the original style.
As for B7RLEs heading to Bath, I would imagine 69437/43-47 will head (making six), leaving 69457-8 in Wells, plus 66720. Whether a fourth single is needed as general spare I don't know. Maybe not.

The other interior that I think looks good is the Blue A1 Scania one. I think in addition to the vehicles mentioned, the closed top W-PAEs, all the President bodied vehicles, some of the LK53 B7s & I think 32249/60 all have the Barbie 2 moquette. In most of these cases the moquette is very faded indeed!

As for the E-leather, I don't mind the more common design used on MMCs & Streetdecks etc, but I hate the slightly shinier stuff used on 14/64 plate streetlites & 12-plate e400s. I think it feels quite cheap, greasy & not very clean!

baza585

Due to the withdrawal of the Scan/EL Decker's at Weymouth due to corrosion, replacements are expected before next week. Just wondered if any of the withdrawals from WoE might be headed that way? Ex Star Streetlites from Hilsea are down there on loan, but deckers are required for schools and WoE have a few going spare. No Tridents please........

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
The other interior that I think looks good is the Blue A1 Scania one. I think in addition to the vehicles mentioned, the closed top W-PAEs, all the President bodied vehicles, some of the LK53 B7s & I think 32249/60 all have the Barbie 2 moquette. In most of these cases the moquette is very faded indeed!

As for the E-leather, I don't mind the more common design used on MMCs & Streetdecks etc, but I hate the slightly shinier stuff used on 14/64 plate streetlites & 12-plate e400s. I think it feels quite cheap, greasy & not very clean!

You're right. I'd forgotten about 32328-47 that were refurbished on exit from London just before the move to eLeather. I wasn't really counting the various short term ones though like the Tridents and those ex York ones (though I had 32249 and that was fairly tidy internally)

I hadn't realised that. Good bit of trivia there though never realised as there were a number of registration marques for Bristol (?) whilst firms like Crosville and United were based in smaller towns with only the one marque (FM and HN respectively).

Of course, the 1970s saw NBC specify a 13 year life for most types and only 7 years for lightweight machines. Bristol had a number of LHs that were withdrawn and dispensed with when only 2-3 years old as MAP schemes removed their work.

There's a lot of speculation about what is to move where to replace what, but this I don't get - last September, we received 54, 55 and 07-reg'd Geminis from Scotland, while now it's proposed to send native 05, 55 and 56-reg'd Gems to Cornwall. Surely, even if the SN55s have been repainted, it'd be better to keep the "devil you know", especially if the X39's 09-reg'd go on to the 24 and displace those SN55s. I mean, the branding on these is just a green spot.

I think it's a case that because we know the Kernow bound B7s, it may be a case that the ex Glasgow ones are also destined for pastures new? Mind you, they received half a dozen from Glasgow (54 plate) in 2018 and then dispatched a similar number of 55 plate natives to Essex. Rather odd that.

There's 77 new vehicles plus 5 further deckers released by the ex Bolton e400s heading to Wells. That's not going to wipe out all the B7TLs and Tridents though. Steve White alluded to the Bath P&R Enviros perhaps returning so that will also help.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Due to the withdrawal of the Scan/EL Decker's at Weymouth due to corrosion, replacements are expected before next week. Just wondered if any of the withdrawals from WoE might be headed that way? Ex Star Streetlites from Hilsea are down there on loan, but deckers are required for schools and WoE have a few going spare. No Tridents please........

You might get 37585/6 back? Perhaps some nice W reg B7TLs in dull purple having had vinyls continually applied and removed might be to your liking..... ;)

Class 33

Established Member
I went out this morning especially to get a couple of journeys on the new buses on services 42-45. Got on a 45 from The Horsefair for my short journey to ALDI in Redfield to get a little bit of shopping. Nice buses. Smooth comfortable journey. Though as already mentioned, the shortage of bells could be a nuisance if you're on a busy bus, wanting to get off at the next stop, no one has rang the bell so far, and then there's no bell in the two seats you're in! They need to bring back the strip bells on the ceilings of buses! Also the lack of grab rails upstairs could be a problem - people could fall and could fall onto other people! Though there are grab handles at the sides of each aisle seat.

Only a short journey to Redfield then. Popped in there and got a little shopping. Crossed the road to get a bus back into town again. Only a couple of minutes wait. But the first bus that came along was a Gemini! "Oh no, not a bloody Gemini!!" I thought to myself. So I waited for the next one. And just a couple of minutes later, along came another Gemini! What's going on here then, I thought the entire fleet of buses on services 42-45 were being replaced with these new buses this week? I let that other Gemini go by and waited for the next one. And just a couple of minutes later another bus came along - a 45, and it was one of these new buses so I got on that. On a related note, I have to say that the frequency of services between Centre and St George is miles better than the current service frequency between Centre and Gloucester Road nowadays, whereby the 71, 73 & 75 usually all come together and then about a 10 minute gap till a 76 and then about another 10 minutes till the 71, 73 & 75 again. Dreadful timetabling on those services. The spacing of the timetable across services 42-45 is so much better.

Also noticed two single deckers this morning on the 71 & 76. Not a surprise atall though, despite all these further batch of new double deckers being brought in!

vicbury

Though as already mentioned, the shortage of bells could be a nuisance if you're on a busy bus, wanting to get off at the next stop, no one has rang the bell so far, and then there's no bell in the two seats you're in! They need to bring back the strip bells on the ceilings of buses! Also the lack of grab rails upstairs could be a problem - people could fall and could fall onto other people! Though there are grab handles at the sides of each aisle seat.

Quite, especially as the 'official' guidance is to ring the bell and wait for the bus to stop - not so easy if there is no bell in reach! I think the lack of grab rails will slow down journeys as people won't feel comfortable to walk along the top deck to the stairs prior to the bus stopping. I certainly won't feel as safe doing it, especially when there are people sat in the seats with handles on them!

baza585

You might get 37585/6 back? Perhaps some nice W reg B7TLs in dull purple having had vinyls continually applied and removed might be to your liking..... ;)
Well given the open toppers at Weymouth are identical buses, not as daft as it sounds; run them into the ground and then rob them to keep the Coasters alive. Trouble is WH will put them out on X51/53/54 and that won't end well. Hoping for something a little bit newer TBH.

Whiteway215

Established Member
Well given the open toppers at Weymouth are identical buses, not as daft as it sounds; run them into the ground and then rob them to keep the Coasters alive. Trouble is WH will put them out on X51/53/54 and that won't end well. Hoping for something a little bit newer TBH.
Could be interesting on one up the hill from Abbotsbury towards Burton Bradstock!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Could be interesting on one up the hill from Abbotsbury towards Burton Bradstock!

That's the problem - traffic conditions sometimes demand that whatever vehicle is used to get service reliability back on track and some 20 year old B7s with hard as stone seats ain't what's required on those routes. During their last summer of use, the W-EOWs that weren't converted did see a lot of use on the Bridport routes.

baza585

That's the problem - traffic conditions sometimes demand that whatever vehicle is used to get service reliability back on track and some 20 year old B7s with hard as stone seats ain't what's required on those routes. During their last summer of use, the W-EOWs that weren't converted did see a lot of use on the Bridport routes.
Yes I agree. Maybe B7TL Geminis out of Brissle which can do schools but wouldn't look too out of place on Jurassics. Just wonder if Essex might release the ex Green line B9s they had off FHD, now they have got new Decker's for the X30. Might be more complicated than that eg 07 reg B7s out of Hoeford, replaced by sheds from Bristol.........

BBC

All bar 2 3/4 branded buses are now withdrawn. The two left are probably the two most unreliable, strange decision!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
And for @AllanMacF (from the First Kernow thread)

32548 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32549 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32554 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32619 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32620 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32621 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32622 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32623 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32624 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32625 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3

32670 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32677 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32681 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3
32683 Due April 2020 Volvo B7TL Eclipse Gemini EURO3

JamesC357

I believe those are staying within First Essex unfortunately.

Yes, the last I saw was that they are staying in Essex by moving to Hadleigh depot.

Also a couple of weeks ago Colchester depot recieved Geminis 32669 and 32673 from Bath. These have yet to enter service, but does anyone know if anything else might be heading to Essex from WoE at all? Our 51 and 02 plate Tridents are showing their age a bit now...

CD

Yes, the last I saw was that they are staying in Essex by moving to Hadleigh depot.

Also a couple of weeks ago Colchester depot recieved Geminis 32669 and 32673 from Bath. These have yet to enter service, but does anyone know if anything else might be heading to Essex from WoE at all? Our 51 and 02 plate Tridents are showing their age a bit now...
Your Tridents are probably more reliable than 33669/73. Both spent more time in Bath depot than on the road.

D2007wsm

Established Member
I did wonder if my sighting of 30877 on Court Road on a 42 yesterday might be it's last day but it's still about according to bus times

Another thought.... 32008/9 have had spells at Bath depot (and 32009 was also at Hengrove for a few months). However, I think 32004 may have been at LH since delivery in May 2000.

As far as I'm aware, 004 is the only one to not have been relocated in its career (until today). Not sure what Bath want to do with 32098 (unless it's a direct replacement for withdrawn sister 099?).
I seem to recall, 32004 had a short spell in Weston along with 32001/32002/32003. This was when 32003 was carrying the Vodafone Bee advert. I don’t think it stayed long. This was prior to the E400, when the X1 was operated by Geminis and these were brought in to increase the number of low floor deckers, prior to more Geminis arriving.

Tommy Walters

Odd how only 3 of the 325**s are going. That leaves one still and Hengrove (547) plus all the ones in Bath!

Tommy Walters

I seem to recall, 32004 had a short spell in Weston along with 32001/32002/32003. This was when 32003 was carrying the Vodafone Bee advert. I don’t think it stayed long. This was prior to the E400, when the X1 was operated by Geminis and these were brought in to increase the number of low floor deckers, prior to more Geminis arriving.

Yes, you're right! I had forgotten that four of them worked there briefly (001 was the only one not in Barbie?). Speaking of 004, it ventured as far as the Bus Station in Bath today, but was just kept there as a spare!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Odd how only 3 of the 325**s are going. That leaves one still and Hengrove (547) plus all the ones in Bath!

Or how 32669/73 went to Essex whilst 32670 heads to Kernow. At the end of the day, it’s just some Geminis and the individual machines don’t really matter.

Must’ve only been months - I remember the others but you’ll know better than me.

AllanMacF

Well! Very interesting! Many thanks, GW. I wonder if folks had just assumed they'd be native Bristol Gems when told their reg dates.

Whiteway215

Established Member
According to my lists 32004 was originally at HE (or would that have been Winterstoke Rd-I can't think when HE opened) Anyway it went to LH at some point. Steve's website says LH to MH 10/2012, MH to WM 12/2012 along with 32001/2/3, WM to LH 9/2013 with 32002/3. Finally LH to BH 2/2020. I say finally but you never know with this lot!

D2007wsm

Established Member
Yes, you're right! I had forgotten that four of them worked there briefly (001 was the only one not in Barbie?). Speaking of 004, it ventured as far as the Bus Station in Bath today, but was just kept there as a spare!
If I remember correctly, 32001 stayed in Weston longer than the other 3 and ventured back once or twice, prior to receiving the chop. It was repainted into Urban during one of it’s stays in Weston.