• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

First West of England (Bristol, Bath & The West)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BBC

On Thursday first west of England only carried 100,005 customers, 60% down from this time last year. This is going to be a very testing time for the company but luckily this 80% promise from the government should mean we all keep our jobs.

freetoview33

Established Member
On Thursday first west of England only carried 100,005 customers, 60% down from this time last year. This is going to be a very testing time for the company but luckily this 80% promise from the government should mean we all keep our jobs.
Fingers crossed, I know quite a few drivers as well as the ones that post on here, so hope you all keep your jobs.

carlberry

Established Member
Is there a shortage of drivers today at Weston as some Excel journeys have been cancelled including the first X9 from Nailsea and the first X7 to Clevedon. I thought Weston drivers on loan to Bath for UNI buses would have returned to Weston.
Somebody said there was a bit of a bug going around.:D

Class 33

Established Member
With the current Coronavirus situation, how busy have the buses been at peak times in the last few days? For example services such as 71, 73, 75 & 76 heading south in the peak morning weekdays are usually absolutely rammed by the time they reach Gloucester Road. But what are they like now?

Yesterday lunchtime I was on 70 heading south to Cromwell Road Arches. And unfortunately it was a single decker Streetlite hauling the service rather than a double decker Streetdeck! And by the time it was running through Ashley Down and St. Andrews, it was becoming fairly full. With boarding passengers having to sit next to other people, which is against the "social distancing" we are being advised to adhere to. Some other people boarding I notice chose to stand up, even though there were a few aisle seats next to other people available. With the Coronavirus situation and these extraordinary times, and First Bristol services set to run to reduced Saturday timetables from Mondays-Saturdays, they shouldn't really be operating single deckers on services that are supposed to be all double deckers.

Last edited:

freetoview33

Established Member
With the current Coronavirus situation, how busy have the buses been at peak times in the last few days? For example services such as 71, 73, 75 & 76 heading south in the peak morning weekdays are usually absolutely rammed by the time they reach Gloucester Road. But what are they like now?

Yesterday lunchtime I was on 70 heading south to Cromwell Road Arches. And unfortunately it was a single decker Streetlite hauling the service rather than a double decker Streetdeck! And by the time it was running through Ashley Down and St. Andrews, it was becoming fairly full. With boarding passengers having to sit next to other people, which is against the "social distancing" we are being advised to adhere to. Some other people boarding I notice chose to stand up, even though there were a few aisle seats next to other people available. With the Coronavirus situation and these extraordinary times, and First Bristol services set to run to reduced Saturday timetables from Mondays-Saturdays, they shouldn't really be operating single deckers on services that are supposed to be all double deckers.
Agreed, there will no reason then that all services in Bristol can't be double decked, If the 24 runs its full route, with no 24A, and with the reduced airport service the 8/9/72 can use the lower stops and use doubles.

Class 33

Established Member
Agreed, there will no reason then that all services in Bristol can't be double decked, If the 24 runs its full route, with no 24A, and with the reduced airport service the 8/9/72 can use the lower stops and use doubles.

Absolutely. And there's also the 5 too that needs to be all double deckers. During these current extraordinary times anyway.

freetoview33

Established Member
Absolutely. And there's also the 5 too that needs to be all double deckers. During these current extraordinary times anyway.
There is nothing currently stopping services like 5/35 being doubles other than they are quieter and maybe lack of few double deckers. 37 can be if Scanias are used, and might need to be with the 19 being withdrawn. Not sure about the 178.

martyjon

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There is nothing currently stopping services like 5/35 being doubles other than they are quieter and maybe lack of few double deckers. 37 can be if Scanias are used, and might need to be with the 19 being withdrawn. Not sure about the 178.
178 can take deckers.

However, we are talking about yesterday and some singles may still have been necessary.

Andyh82

Established Member

I have to ask where we they all going at lunchtime? Presumably not all going to work and supermarkets and food shops are dotted around the suburbs, so no real need to catch a bus into the city.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
And therein lies the problem...

Perhaps so but as someone who suffers from quite bad anxiety the thought of having to stay indoors is terrifying. Usually with anxiety most people feel afraid to leave the house whereas I'm the complete opposite. I physically cannot stay inside for more than 3 hours; it's not even about adapting to it, it just will not happen. Thankfully I'm still in work for the time being but that could change tomorrow with the next announcement from Boris.

Anyway, this isn't for this thread.

martyjon

39412 Red Gas bus at Chippng Sodbury inbound to Bristol right now, off to fot it.

Damn, saw it but it pulled away before I could get a piccy, next journey out to Chipping Sodbury should be from the Centre at 0915.

Last edited:

vicbury

Perhaps so but as someone who suffers from quite bad anxiety the thought of having to stay indoors is terrifying. Usually with anxiety most people feel afraid to leave the house whereas I'm the complete opposite. I physically cannot stay inside for more than 3 hours; it's not even about adapting to it, it just will not happen. Thankfully I'm still in work for the time being but that could change tomorrow with the next announcement from Boris.

There is a huge difference between leaving the house for a distanced walk, and travelling around half the country, including to Hampshire, which is amongst the worst hit, and then travelling all the way to Bath, and to top it all, travelling to a hospital! I also suffer with anxiety if I have to stay indoors, however behaviour like this is exactly why we need a France-style lockdown. Take responsibility!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

Dan - @vicbury has said enough. Suggest that you go for walk along the Kennet and Avon or out into the country - there's plenty of lovely countryside around Trowbridge.

I'm usually positive about people travelling about. However, we simply must not travel unless absolutely necessary. End of.

AB93

Can't see why A1 couldn't be suspended completely A2 extended to Bus Station and rerouted via Temple Meads for the duration of the Cumberland Road closure as the A1 virtually duplicates the A2 route from/to Rupert Street/Lewins Mead and the Airport at present.
One is a contract with the Airport and the other isn't.

AB93

With the current Coronavirus situation, how busy have the buses been at peak times in the last few days? For example services such as 71, 73, 75 & 76 heading south in the peak morning weekdays are usually absolutely rammed by the time they reach Gloucester Road. But what are they like now? Yesterday lunchtime I was on 70 heading south to Cromwell Road Arches. And unfortunately it was a single decker Streetlite hauling the service rather than a double decker Streetdeck! And by the time it was running through Ashley Down and St. Andrews, it was becoming fairly full. With boarding passengers having to sit next to other people, which is against the "social distancing" we are being advised to adhere to. Some other people boarding I notice chose to stand up, even though there were a few aisle seats next to other people available. With the Coronavirus situation and these extraordinary times, and First Bristol services set to run to reduced Saturday timetables from Mondays-Saturdays, they shouldn't really be operating single deckers on services that are supposed to be all double deckers.
conversely when will we see a red bus standing in for a LYNX liveried 394xx

As GrandWazoo says, yesterday was still full service with full PVR requirement, so not a huge surprise. My 76 home in the rush hour was a B7RLE, but still completely empty.

These are very bad times for the whole industry. There are already plans in place to change the allocations to utilise all of the most efficient vehicles as you may expect. (So don't be surprised that red gas buses have started appearing on Marlborough Street work!) Nothing "needs" to be double deckers, I very much doubt there will be any full buses anywhere by the time 30th March comes around.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
There is a huge difference between leaving the house for a distanced walk, and travelling around half the country, including to Hampshire, which is amongst the worst hit, and then travelling all the way to Bath, and to top it all, travelling to a hospital! I also suffer with anxiety if I have to stay indoors, however behaviour like this is exactly why we need a France-style lockdown. Take responsibility!

True. I'm glad I went out when I did mind.

martyjon

Interloper 39412 on the 0915 Y1 Bristol City Centre - Chipping Sodbury this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20200322_095333.jpg
    IMG_20200322_095333.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 42

Whiteway215

Established Member
Heard that Scanias 65724/5 have been taken out of service from Westbury and transferring to Kernow at some point. Also no MOTs for 3 months.

BBC

It’s dire out there in Bristol. I don’t expect this Saturday service to last the whole week...