• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

FQ's trips around the globe

Status
Not open for further replies.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Sounds like a good day on the HSTs

You'll be pleased to know that on my ALR I've probably done not far off 1,500 miles on them so far!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Once again, I'm reminded that I need to do a FOSS, it'll probably be in 2018, though.
Tempus Fugit and all that.
Great stuff, I'm looking forward to reading the rest.
I must admit, I'm a bit of a fan of the GWR green livery, it's got a nice traditional look about it.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Sounds like a good day on the HSTs

You'll be pleased to know that on my ALR I've probably done not far off 1,500 miles on them so far!

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk
Not bad at all. Is that doubling the mileage for both powercars or just the regular 'track' miles?

Once again, I'm reminded that I need to do a FOSS, it'll probably be in 2018, though.
Tempus Fugit and all that.
Great stuff, I'm looking forward to reading the rest.
I must admit, I'm a bit of a fan of the GWR green livery, it's got a nice traditional look about it.
The GWR green livery is decent and I have to admit that it looks great on the IEPs. Not as good as it looks on trams though ;)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That's just regular track miles. Some hefty runs include Paddington to Newport, Cardiff to Reading, many Paddington/Didcot to Reading and return spins, then Newcastle to Peterborough and King's Cross to Newcastle being the notable east coast runs.

Just 1 Voyager move, that being the 05:20 Bristol to Cardiff which I absolutely had to catch as there was nothing before it.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
That's just regular track miles. Some hefty runs include Paddington to Newport, Cardiff to Reading, many Paddington/Didcot to Reading and return spins, then Newcastle to Peterborough and King's Cross to Newcastle being the notable east coast runs.

Just 1 Voyager move, that being the 05:20 Bristol to Cardiff which I absolutely had to catch as there was nothing before it.
Not bad at all. Have you got 43026 yet?

I'll forgive you for the voyager move if there wasn't anything else ;)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Not bad at all. Have you got 43026 yet?

I'll forgive you for the voyager move if there wasn't anything else ;)
Sadly not, just roped in 122 and 191 on a naughty pick up only move to Reading, trundling down to Burnham and back on a turbo now as it's my last shack then I'm firmly going to be on HSTs all day as it's my last day and last real chance to rope them in on GWR. Going to do your Pewsey move too.

So far this past fortnight I've raked in 27 of them.

That was indeed my only XC Voyager move and I was asleep most of the way anyway [emoji38]

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not too naughty considering that you're valid to Taunton ;). Good luck with Pewsey!

I'm not surprised that you were asleep on the 221 - 05:20 in the morning is never fun.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Not too naughty considering that you're valid to Taunton ;). Good luck with Pewsey!

I'm not surprised that you were asleep on the 221 - 05:20 in the morning is never fun.

That is true

Good luck with Pewsey as well, if all else fails there was a largeish co-op nearby (going back at least 10 years though)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
That is true

Good luck with Pewsey as well, if all else fails there was a largeish co-op nearby (going back at least 10 years though)
My connection was reduced a +5 due to my HST being delayed by congestion north of Taunton so in the end it was a very swift scratch.

Still need Bedwyn and Kintbury to finish off Paddington to Taunton via B&H but I consider Pewsey to be the biggest challenge conquered!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Not bad with only needing Bedwyn and Kintbury for that stretch - I still need Hanwell-Maidenhead inclusive, Reading West-Bedwyn inclusive, Bruton and Castle Cary :lol:. Once the 387s and 345s start working the Thames Valley stuff I think I'll get over there and tick some of those shacks off.

Established Member
Not bad with only needing Bedwyn and Kintbury for that stretch - I still need Hanwell-Maidenhead inclusive, Reading West-Bedwyn inclusive, Bruton and Castle Cary :lol:. Once the 387s and 345s start working the Thames Valley stuff I think I'll get over there and tick some of those shacks off.

Why?? Turbos are FAR superior to 387s! Can't speak for the bogless 345s though...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Because I'm not going to be cart bashing if in the Thames valley before then ;). I'm not keen on the 165s and 166s myself for some reason but I don't mind the 387s (except the seats).

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I don't like the interiors of Chiltern's or GWR's turbos which probably has something to do with my dislike of them. For GWR ones I've only ever had them from Didcot-Oxford, Reading-Twyford and Paddington-Ealing so I haven't really experienced one at speed.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Enjoyed the write up fq. The railway will be a very different place in the south west in two years time.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Enjoyed the write up fq. The railway will be a very different place in the south west in two years time.
Agreed. There aren't many places where it won't have changed massively in two years though. Sometimes for the better though, for example the pacers on Northern getting replaced and the 185s on TPE going over to cats and IEPs.

Bah, 110mph on the mains is good fun on a 387 ;)
Another thing I haven't tried...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Approaching the new '76: Day 5

The last overnight at the Jolly Huntsman of the trip was finally here. I slept well and got up a few minutes earlier today as we needed to pack. This was done with no issue and we were soon getting breakfast, the scrambled egg on toast being the chosen option for today. It was good to see a particular member of staff before we had to leave as he's incredibly soche and it was a shame to be leaving, I have to say (don't tell that to mum whatever you do ;).) Breakfast was very tasty and we got our bags and checked out before leaving for Chippenham.

Dad didn't walk me to the station again this morning, obviously thinking that it'd be very unlikely for one of his winner bettys to come through two mornings on the bounce. I took the now very familiar walk to the station and saw my cart to Trowbridge already in the platform. Dud 150121 (so a 153 for the first three days and then a 150 for the last two, randomly.) I got a seat on board and it was probably the busiest I'd seen the service all week. We were soon leaving Westbury, once again wrong line and no betty had been seen through Chippenham so dad was safe on that front. I checked RTT to see if there was anything about a betty due through sometime soon and saw that we should pass one just before Trowbridge. I didn't know if it'd be one dad needed (or me for that matter) so I decided to let him know once I'd seen if it was needed for him.

No sign of the 70 by the time I bailed at Trowbridge although that changed seconds later as 70815, one that dad needs, roared through. I called him to let him know but he was now unfortunately at the other side of his work building so couldn't get out for it. My fester at Trowbridge was for the Gloucester train yet again and I was soon getting on board winner 150248. I noticed that the Portsmouth bound 158 was running a few minutes late when I got to Bradford-on-Avon so decided to bail there and catch it to Trowbridge for another one back to Bath. This would put me onto a tram from Bath to Bristol and then another to Swindon so sounded like a good plan.
Bradford by fishquinn1, on Flickr
The Portsmouth service unfortunately lost a few more minutes and eventually arrived with dud 158958 and, of course, my new stalker 150131. The service was now sufficiently late to destroy my connection at Trowbridge but I simply hoped that it'd make. It didn't and I could hear a 158 engine revving up seconds after I stepped off my one. Blast. I hopped back on the Portsmouth service, this time getting on 150131 and stayed there until Westbury.

I now had quite a long wait for the next one towards Bristol so got on Chippenham bound 150121 for a fill in move to Trowbridge. There was then 5-10 minutes to kill at Trowbridge before I could get on winner 150263 for the long slog to Bristol. All shacks stopper...

It was a very long ride, gradually picking up more passengers as we went. It's the first service many off peak tickets are valid on so lots of day-trippers were on board. After what felt like an eternity I was alighting at Temple Meads and I had about half an hour until my tram to Swindon. I got loads of photos of my tram set, which is in platform 13 before boarding and 43152 with 43197 was soon taking me away from Bristol.
43197 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Around the bend by fishquinn1, on Flickr

This was a green set and was definitely looking worse for wear. The tops of many seats were falling out and they still had reservations in them!
Worse for wear by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Honestly GWR, doing the same as many other areas have done when getting new stock: lowering maintenance and general care of the old rolling stock to make the new stuff look good. I got a seat that was fully intact and we got to Swindon a few minutes behind schedule but still with enough time for my next move (which was also a few minutes late). 43185 was leading 43087 on this Paddington bound service that I was on to Didcot.

The journey through to Didcot was uneventful and we were soon arriving a few minutes late. Very annoyingly, while on the approach to Didcot I saw a tram that I would've connected onto if we'd been running on time leaving the station. On the back of it was one of my last few powercars for 100, 43193. Blast!

I had a fairly short wait at Didcot for one of my last trams of the day. Why would it be one of my last ones for the day? Because it was the Friday of dad's course he would be finishing early so I'd need to do the same for a ride home. I wasn't going to end up at Chippenham to finish though... Somewhere slightly further north would be my finishing point today.

43180 and 43071 were arriving a couple of minutes late to take me back to Swindon. I got a couple of photos of the powercars here before changing platforms to do the 'other' route out of Swindon for a change - the Golden Valley. I could soon see my service, the 12:39 Cheltenham approaching but it was unfortunately running about 6 minutes late which would really throw my next connection into question. 43142 and 43022 were to be my unthrilling pair away from Swindon. I got a text from dad a few minutes after leaving Swindon to say that he was in position at the station I'd be getting picked up from. My connection at Stroud was down to a +0 and I highly doubted I'd make it, with dad waiting at Kemble so I didn't want to drag him over to Stroud to pick me up. I got off the train at Keble to view the PIS and see how late we were and saw that my connection was a +0 so, much to my disappointment, I let the tram go onward towards Stroud without me and went in hunt of dad.

Kemble station is incredibly poorly signposted and I ended up going in a long maze to find dad in one of the station's car parks. I eventually found him and we had a couple of cakes for lunch in the car. Not the healthiest but still tasty. I used dad's work phone to check if the connection made and I was thoroughly ticked off to see that the PIS at Kemble was wrong - it left 6-late, not 8-late thanks to the stupid difference between the public and working time tables! The connection ended up being a +4 at Stroud - ample time. Damn! To top it all of dad said that I should have gone for it and that if it'd failed he would've just driven to Stroud as it isn't too far out of the way. Why didn't I just take the risk?

We had soon set off homeward bound from Stroud and got caught in quite a bit of traffic en route. Still, all was fine as we had an audiobook to listen to en route (as opposed to comedy podcasts that had dominated the runs to and from Chippenham/Westbury) and we were soon arriving home after 5 days away. It was great to see mum, the dogs, the lizards and, at an extent (just kidding), my brother. It would've been nicer to see him if he'd bothered to look away from the computer screen during his gaming time to say hi but what can you do ;)?

Although that was the end of my time staying in Kingston St Michael, I still had three days of a FOSS to use and I was intending to use two of them, just commuting into the area using Cross Country trams. Two trips stood in the way of that though and two great ones they'd be...

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Wibbling through the Midlands

July the 16th, a Sunday was the Sunday after dad and I had returned from Chippenham after the first 5 days of my FOSS. It was also the date of a GBRF charity railtour. This railtour was in 3 parts: the first part being a 66 from Ipswich to Peterborough, part 2 a pair of 20s from Peterborough to Peterborough via Sheffield and Lincoln and part 3 a 66 from Peterborough to Basingstoke. We were going to do this for one part only and I think it's rather obvious which part we'd chosen. Bombs through the East Mids sounds rather fun!

Departure from Peterborough wasn't until 13:29 so we had the morning to relax before having to drive across. We left home at about 10:30 in the end and headed via Nathan's to get to the A14. It was a reasonably fast journey to Peterborough and I used dad's work phone en route to check for cheap parking in Peterborough as the station prices, even on a Saturday, were stupidly high. I found out that there was a shopping centre just next to Peterborough station with parking but it said that it closed at 17:30, which would be useless for us unless the charter was an hour early arriving back at Peterborough. This left the station as our only choice as far as I could see so we'd just have to pay the rates and be done with it.

As we drove through the part of Peterborough required to get there, going over Orton Mere Nene Valley Railway station as we did so, I noticed that the car park said that it closes at 23:30 on the board outside. This would work out to be cheaper (by £1 because the day rate wouldn't apply unfortunately) so we went for it and parked a couple of floors up in the multistory car park. As we left I got a photo of the sign saying that it shut at 23:30 to make sure that we'd be OK and we headed over towards the shopping centre for some lunch.

It was a truely horrid shopping centre and I don't like going in them at the best of times. We were planning on finding a place for coffee for dad but gave up and turned around, just stopping off at Greggs for some saussie rolls and a cake. Then it was back over to the station. We got to the barriers and the guy asked for our tickets. We didn't have any as it's a buy on the train affair but before we could say anything he asked us if we were for the tour. Nicely done VTEC at briefing your staff!

We headed onto the station and noticed that there was a Kings Cross train due any minute that was a booked tram. I got my camera out ready and snapped a few photos of the tram as it arrived and left.
Heading for the Cross by fishquinn1, on Flickr
My attention was now turned to the Northbound Highland Chieftain which raced through a couple of minutes later. Nat scored a winner GBRF 66 for sight as we waited for the tour and we got to see yet another tram set race through before 66778 and 66775 rolled in on the tour. Time for a loco change now! Dad, Nat and I got a space in the rear vestibule along with another few people, one of them being an angry young man who was moaning more than Nathan on a bad day.
From the coach by fishquinn1, on Flickr
He was winging about not having a seat and getting really annoyed with the staff for not giving him their seats etc. A soche guy with a dog got on while he was ranting to his mates and the guy muttered under his breath 'who the hell brings a dog on a railtour' just loud enough for the owner to hear. I thought that the owner would just let him off but he didn't and started giving him a right telling off. I can't remember the entire thing but the following was included: 'It's a day out, isn't it. Why shouldn't he be allowed on when they're allowing people like you on?' The last line was just so brilliant though and is etched in my memory for being the best line I'd heard that day with the context involved. The last line was: 'Don't be so f*****g rude.' Absolutely brilliant! It also made the angry young man (probably about 20) even more sure that he was going to walk through the train to find a seat. I didn't see him on the rest of the trip!

Double winners 20132 and 20118 were soon thrashing away at the front of the train, taking us out of Peterborough. We bought our tickets from the stewards moments after leaving Peterborough, a mere £20 each, and we'd soon left the ECML and joined one of the most boring lines in the country: the line through Stamford and Melton Mowbray. God help me...

The line was as dull as I remember and we were all pleased when we turned off the route and onto the Midland Mainline, taking the very tight curve to head north on the line towards Loughborough. We passed the Pukka pies factory (mmm... 3.1415926) while taking this bit of winner track for all of us and had soon joined the MML.
Around the curve by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Alas we were booked to cross to the fast lines here instead of staying on the slows and taking Toton high level. I got some photos of the bombs as we thrashed along and we'd soon passed East Midlands Parkway and had turned towards Toton.
20118 and 132 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
20118 and 132 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I'd thought of a different way of getting the numbers in Toton. Dad's Dictaphone was at home so I decided to use the camera and get hundreds of photos of everything in the yard - just constantly phot things. Then I could go back through the photos to write the numbers down. This worked perfectly and we got many numbers in the book before joining on with the Notty-Chesterfield line.
20118 and 20132 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I text Kite159 as we passed through Ilkeston (making use of the brief bit of phone signal) to ask if he was on the train. I knew that he was planning to so thought it'd be worth a try to see if he was. After we'd come to a stop at a very sunny Chesterfield where there was a short (10-15 minute) break for pathing purposes I saw a familiar face so popped out onto the platform to say hi to Kite. We chatted all the time the train was at Chesterfield and he headed back to his seat once we left to head towards Sheffield. An EMT tram passed us heading South which indicates that they work some Sheffield services on a Sunday afternoon (hint: they do) and Nat was soon writing down hundreds of pacers as we'd arrived at Sheffield. There was another pathing stop here so lots of people got off the train again and Kite came back over and we continued our chat, opting to stay in our vestibule instead of head back to his seat after we left.

Someone who had left the train at Sheffield had decided to go for a run to get some beer but unfortunately made it back to the train ever so slightly too late as we were pulling out by the time he made it back to the platform. Oops :lol:. Anyway, the tunnels at Sheffield saw a pair of bombs once more and, instead of heading towards Meadowhall we came off before leaving the tunnels to head towards Worksop. Winner track for me now! Every 399 was visible in Nunnery depot as we passed and I don't remember much of the scenery of the next bit as I was too busy talking to Kite about various things. We took this line all the way to Lincoln, where we passed non-stop on the centre roads and it was then on the line towards Peterborough. It was dud track for me from Lincoln to Metheringham having scored it on a holiday in 2013 but was winner after that all the way to Werrington Junction. It was also all winner track for dad, which is more of a feat as he doesn't need many long sections of track. The Lincolnshire countryside was very pleasant and the tie flew by before we were arriving at Peterborough, an EMT hire in tram passing us just before we arrived.
66075 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
It was great to see Kite, who was staying on the tour for part 3 (how lovely - a 66) so I had to say bye as we arrived at Peterborough.

Dad, Nat and I hopped off and got a few photos of the bombs that had just provided us with one heck of an excellent tour.
Peterborough 20s by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Peterborough 20s by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Then it was away from Peterborough station and up to the multistory car park. The payment area was right at the top so I also got a photo of the bombs from the window up there before we turned to the machines, ready to pay our £6. What we got was even better though. The machines had charged us the day rate for some unknown reason so instead of paying the expected £6 we only needed to part with £2! An excellent end to the day! Well, it would have been if we didn't need to drive all the way back to Warwickshire...

The drive home wasn't too bad and we were getting back about 2 hours after leaving Peterborough. The tour was absolutely brilliant so very well done to GBRF for that and the day was a very good one. My second GBRF charity tour and both were with a pair of bombs up front. Hellfire!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great couple of reads there fq. I particularly liked the write up about the 20 tour taking them back to there old haunts. Very nice.

Iskra

Established Member
Nice reports, very jealous of that 20 tour that I couldn't make. I saw a dog on a railtour yesterday actually, which I did think was unusual, but I don't have anything against it since they're allowed on service trains so what's the difference.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Good news on getting charged £2 for parking and having a good day :)

Good to have a little catch-up as well
It certainly did provide a good end to the day. Thanks for a fun catch-up.

Great couple of reads there fq. I particularly liked the write up about the 20 tour taking them back to there old haunts. Very nice.
Bombs back at Toton... Dad recalls going there fairly regularly (he used to go to Trent Polytechnic in Nottingham) and seeing rows of 20s waiting to leave. You can still see many locos there nowadays but it's a shame that the vast majority are derelict.

Nice reports, very jealous of that 20 tour that I couldn't make. I saw a dog on a railtour yesterday actually, which I did think was unusual, but I don't have anything against it since they're allowed on service trains so what's the difference.
Shame you couldn't make the 20 tour but GBRF will probably do another one with 20s at some point. I see no problem with dogs on railtours either - particularly well behaved ones. I wouldn't dream of taking one of my dogs on a train (service train or railtour) because, while she's well behaved and means well, she goes manic every time she sees someone...

Great reports as usual!
Cheers!

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Going Notty

Wednesday the 19th of July was going to be the next day of my FOSS but plans changed. Mum had decided to meet up with a friend in Nottingham and, as I had some unfinished business with the Nottingham tram shacks up there I decided to join her. I'd also be able to direct her in the car to Clifton South to save her getting lost and ending up in Chesterfield (mum once needed to drive to Mansfield and ended up close to Sheffield by accident :lol:.) I'd also be able to get a couple of runs in on EMT trams, of which I'd only had two for the year (and they were EMT hire in powercars too, so I hadn't been on a true East Mids HST since 2016.)

We set off from home on the Wednesday morning at about 08:45 and the traffic was completely fine (as were my directing skills) so we ended up at Clifton South tram stop just under an hour later. I got our tickets (a day ticket on the trams for mum and a 'Robin Hood day ranger' for me, which is just the new, fancy name for the Kangaroo.) A tram was already in the platform but wasn't going anywhere so we had to wait for the next one to arrive.
Clifton tram by fishquinn1, on Flickr
This was, thankfully, a new one and was formed of 217, a dud because I'd already cleared the NET trams. We got seats up front for the journey into town and I left mum at Nottingham station so I could do the first of my tram spins to East Mids Parkway. I told mum where to get off (Old Market Square) and how many stops it was before heading off to the heavy rail station where 43089 and 43054 were patiently waiting to form the 10:32 St Pancras. Well, I say patiently waiting. They're the closest HST powercar on the mainline to a Paxman Valenta and they always sound like they're going to explode if they don't start moving any second ;). Time for some VP185 thrash!

089 was a winner for 100 but, with only 8.25 miles to East Mids Parkway, wouldn't be cleared. 054 was already well over that hallowed position so was nothing special for me there except a winner for the year. All through the run to East Midlands Parkway I was sorely hoping I'd make the -1 onto the tram back to Notty, which always seems to miss. I was very lucky this time round as it was running a couple of minutes late so I had just enough time to get over the footbridge and get a photo as winner for 100 43052 rolled in with dud for 100 43050 on the back.
43054 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
43052 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
43050 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Like 089, 052 wouldn't be cleared for 100 on the run back to Nottingham but it was good to get another couple in the book for the year.

After getting to Nottingham I decided that it was time for my tram shacks on the Toton line. I wanted to start at Beeston by getting a heavy rail unit out there but it was 10:55 and the next was a 222 at 11:05. I had no desire to get the 222 so it was decided that I'd wait and get the 11:20 Matlock instead, popping into Notty 1st class lounge first, which was a winner one (sad I know - I don't really do lounge scratching *crosses fingers* ;).) Before 12:30 this lounge has an attendant inside (instead of just showing your ticket to a camera) so I was warmly greeted before helping myself to a couple of mini macaroons.

The time passed quickly and I soon had to leave the lounge and head to the platform for the 11:20 Matlock. I was pleased to see that this was winner 156414 and, looking at RTT, noticed a fairly tight plus at Attenborough onto the service back to Beeston. I gave dad a call to ask if he could check how to change platforms at Attenborough as I had a feeling it was a level crossing (in which case it wouldn't be worth the risk.) He called me back after checking to say that there was a footbridge for pedestrians so I decided to go for it. That was until we left Nottingham 2 minutes late so I decided that it wasn't worth the risk with a +2. Beeston it is.

I had researched the walk to Beeston Centre a while ago so knew where to go. It was simply out the station via the footbridge and turn left. I was at the tram stop within minutes and had no problem at getting onto tram 231, which was heading towards Toton.

There was a run between stops that I really wanted to try. The two stops seemed so close together and had a pavement right alongside so I wanted to try getting off at one and running to the other just to get on the same tram. The two stops were Bramcote Lane and Cator Lane so I got to the front of the tram at shack score 1, Cator Lane, for the sprint to the next one. It was very hard going but there was luckily someone at the next stop to hail the tram and I just managed to get back on tram 231 forward from shack score 2, Bramcote Lane. Everything from here to Toton was already cleared so I just got off at an appropriate stop for a tram back towards Beeston: Inham Road.
Inham Road by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I wasn't waiting here long before 220 arrived to take me to shack score 3, Chilwell Road. 234 was then along to take me to High Road Central College for another shack score before 231 took me to Middle Street for another shack score. I still wanted to score Attenborough so decided that it was time to make my way over to Beeston for the Matlock service. 227 was conveniently arriving at the island platform of Middle Street at the same time as us so it was simply onto that one stop back to Beeston Centre where I retraced my steps to Beeston railway station. Well, I say retraced. That is true but first I took the wrong way out from Beeston Centre and did a long loop to end up back at the tram stop. This meant that I had less time to take the correct route but I still had enough time and ended up on an on time winner 156498 one stop to Attenborough.

I took this to Attenborough as planned and quickly popped across the footbridge. It took a moment when I got to the bottom to work out where the heck I was meant to go to get onto the Beeston bound platform but I found out in time to get onto the platform and onto double winner (yay) 153381 and 153302. A couple of minutes later I was back at Beeston.

Instead of heading straight back to the NET I waited at Beeston for a couple of minutes. I had a good reason for this though as a minute after bailing 43045 and 43058 raced through on their way to St Pancras. Vote. Now let's go and continue with those tram shacks.

Once back at Beeston Centre it was onto tram 227 a couple of stops to winner shack University of Nottingham. I then changed platform and got onto 220 back one stop to University Boulevard.
Tram 220 by fishquinn1, on Flickr
Here I encountered my first old tram for the day, 207. The new ones are so much better on the old ones so I decided that I wouldn't stay on this for long and bailed at shack score 9 (including Attenborough), Gregory Street.

I wanted to be on the 13:32 Nottingham-St Pancras out to East Mids Parkway and that time was quickly approaching so I'd need to head back to the city centre before completing the Toton line shacks. I had time for one more though with 222 taking me to QMC (Queens Medical Centre). This are both elevated platforms (as in elevated from normal ground level) so I had to go down loads of stairs and back up another load before 230 took me to Nottingham station. Time for some more EMT tram action!

43048 was at the London end and I was very pleased to see that it was 43081 on the back as that one had only ever been had from East Midlands Parkway to Nottingham. Time to double its mileage me thinks! I got on board and found a comfy bay of 4 and an announcement was made 4 minutes before booked departure to say that there was a fault with one of the coaches that requried attention so we may be slightly delayed leaving Nottingham. This was bad news for me as my connection back at East Mids was running a couple of minutes late so would be just about doable if we were on time. I had my fingers crossed that we'd end up on time and we eventually left Nottingham just under one minute late. Excellent!

The connection made (twice in one day - score!) although it was a crazy sprint across the footbridge along with one other guy to be able to get on 43064 and 43043 back to Nottingham. I was happy with this pair becuase even though 43064 was one of the two powercars I'd had to Leeds earlier in the year, it would be cleared for 500 on this run. 43043 was low mileage and needed for the year so was a good one to get.

I was soon back at Nottingham where my EMT tram bashing was over for the day. My required shacks on the NET were now only 3: two on the Toton line and one on the Hucknall line. The Hucknall line shack may give a couple of problems as there was an engineering block on the trams between Basford and Wilkinson Street so nothing was running. I didn't know where trams were running to and from (if at all on that stretch) but I decided to try and get it anyway as there was a suitably timed EMT out to Bulwell. Winner 156470 took me away from Nottingham and on the fairly slow ride out to Bulwell where I was delighted to see that trams were working between David Lane and Hucknall. This would mean I could get my last shack on this line and, with a little luck, get back to Bulwell in time for the cart back to Nottingham. The first tram along heading towards Hucknall when I got there was 236. I got on and was soon alighting at Butlers Hill where another tram was in the other platform. I'd have to be on that to make the heavy rail one back at Bulwell so I was glad to get on 208 even though it was an old one. I was soon back at Bulwell with just over 5 minutes until my EMT back to Nottingham.

I wasn't too pleased to see a 158 approaching on this service becuase I've had almost all of the EMT ones compared to having had only a handful of the 153s and 156s. 158863 was one that I'd already had but it still got me back to Nottingham in one piece.
158863 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

After arrival at Nottingham I was really hungry so decided that my last two shacks, the two closest to Nottingham city centre on the Toton branch would have to wait until I'd got something to eat. I knew that there was a Tesco Express right next to the platform at Lace Market so I hopped on tram 227 one stop to Lace Market. It was then into Tesco for a meal deal before going back out onto the platform and finding out that it was over 5 minutes for the next one to Toton but the next one towards Old Market Square was approaching. I got on 237 down the hill to Old Market Square where there was minimal waiting time for 219 on the Toton. This was taken to one of my two required shacks, NG2, where I was only waiting for two minutes for the next one. This was 224 and took me to Meadows Way West. NET cleared 100%
Tram 224 by fishquinn1, on Flickr

I got a photo of 224 after bailing to signify my last shack and it was lucky that I did too because I forgot to write it down and couldn't for the life of me remember which one it was 10 minutes later. I'd received a call from mum while here to ask when I'd be free to meet up so I said that I'd be back in town in about 15 minutes. As a fill in move before my tram I got 227 back to NG2 as it was a decent connection onto 225 out to Old Market Square, where I met up with mum and her friend. We stayed chatting for a while and got on 233 after about 25 minutes for the ride back to Clifton. It was an uneventful journey and we were soon bailing and heading to the car.

Traffic was fine on the way back and it only took us about an hour to get home after a fun day out, finally managing to complete my NET shacks.

Established Member
Jealous of your NET clearance-sounds like everything that SHOULD have happened on my recent Nottingham trip! Glad to see I wasn't the only one who got lost at Attenborough...

I assume you had another ticket given the EMD leaps and 1st class lounge visits? (Knowing you I'll get a PM in a minute explaining how you paid about 10p for it...:) )

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Jealous of your NET clearance-sounds like everything that SHOULD have happened on my recent Nottingham trip! Glad to see I wasn't the only one who got lost at Attenborough...

I assume you had another ticket given the EMD leaps and 1st class lounge visits? (Knowing you I'll get a PM in a minute explaining how you paid about 10p for it...:) )
Hopefully you'll get a good trip to Nottingham next time, having checked engineering works before going (I'm as guilty on that one as you though but they didn't end up affecting me). At least I made the connection at Attenborough ;)

You're not wrong about the 10p thing (although it was slightly more) ;)

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sounded like a good trip in Nottingham

Although when did you start your own coach business? :lol:

:lol:.
That's good going clearing the Nottingham tram system. It's probably not something I'd ever do but I have been on it which is something I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.