• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frankfurt - things to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clip

Established Member
So this seems the destination of choice now - just wanting to know any rail related activities to do whilst there - probably just one full day of such things so any tips for trams/metro stuff like that would be appreciated as the old google seems to be heavy on pictures and thin on substance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
don't know the city well but:

Extensive s and u Bahn Networks but no trams.
Lots of main line activity, freight avoids the Hauptbahnhof as it's a terminus.
The Koenigstein line up into the Taunus hills looks scenic but I've not done it.

For scenery you need to go to the rhine valley down from Mainz, or the Odenwald to the south.

Miltenberg and Wertheim up the Main valley are nice touristy destinations for a day out of the city.

maxiboy

Nice hotel in walking distance from the station, inexpensive yet quite nice. http://www.hotel-lloyed.de

Zur Biertonne, probably best described as a Hessian pub, delicious schnitzel, and also in the station's area. It isn't a gourmet place but the food is still good. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Biertonne/156387614437646

There's a railway museum (DB Museum Koblenz-Lützel) in Koblenz, can certainly be done in a day.

stuartmoss

So this seems the destination of choice now - just wanting to know any rail related activities to do whilst there - probably just one full day of such things so any tips for trams/metro stuff like that would be appreciated as the old google seems to be heavy on pictures and thin on substance.

Go to my YouTube vids here: https://www.youtube.com/user/stuartmoss/videos all of the films between Doncaster Railway Station and the Naples Take-off film are shot in the Frankfurt / Wiesbaden / Mainz triangle.

I recommend the Neroberg at Wiesbaden as a lovely way to spend a couple of hours (explore the top). Mainz-Bischofsheim station is really good for freight, you can get day tickets for just Frankfurt, or one that covers Frankfurt along with the Mainz / Wiesbaden areas.

Frankfurt Hbf is large and impressive, but no freight passes as most of it is a dead end, film here of it:

[youtube]5ugibr_Mp9Q[/youtube]

Clip

Established Member
Thanks for the info folks - tram museum sounds good :)

will check those vids once home. Hotel is the Mercure just behind the station as we get in late and dont want to walk far.

cheers

HA25322

Just be careful walking to the Mecure. Even though it is just up the road from the HBF it has a few "undesirables". It is the red light area. However it is a lovely hotel. Enjoy yourself. Plenty of loco hauled in the HBF being electric and diesels.

tony6499

Stayed in the DB hotel opposite the station and they give you a free city travel card for the duration of your stay so worth checking out

Clip

Established Member
Just be careful walking to the Mecure. Even though it is just up the road from the HBF it has a few "undesirables". It is the red light area. However it is a lovely hotel. Enjoy yourself. Plenty of loco hauled in the HBF being electric and diesels.

Sounds like my kind of place :lol:.. Ill maybe check out some other accor hotels then as we envisage some late nights back and I dont fancy getting hassle for no reason

HA25322

I wouldn't worry too much about it as it is idle for HBF. I just wanted to mention it so that you are aware of the area. Just be careful.

Blinder

Sounds like my kind of place :lol:.. Ill maybe check out some other accor hotels then as we envisage some late nights back and I dont fancy getting hassle for no reason

Hotel Excelsior, which is directly opposite the station (exit right from the platform end). Free mini-bar (including 1 beer) in April.

Worth going over to the "old Town", plenty of excellent restaurants and beer houses!!

Status
Not open for further replies.