• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Free Rail Passes for Hungary over 65`s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shredder1

Established Member
For the over 65`s, just wondering if there are any for EU members, I believe I can just use a passport for getting around Budapest by tram and bus for free, but didnt test it last time I was out, I`m off for a few weeks in May to try to cover some more lines and wondered what if anything was available?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Blinder

Over 65's travel free on Hungarian railways on national trains only. I.e. not International services.

You need to get a ticket, free of charge, at the ticket office before you travel.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
You simply tick the "Person over 65" on the MAV-START web site.
It then returns all the options, with 2nd class local trains being free.
You pay the usual supplements for fast trains, 1st class and reservations, all itemised.
Internal journeys (even on international trains) can be booked this way as e-tickets, print at home.
Domestic booking opens 2 months in advance.
You just need your passport as proof of age.

As a senior, I'm intending to do Belgrade-Budapest-Vienna in June, buying a Belgrade-Kelebia (HU) standard ticket, a Kelebia-Györ "over 65" domestic MAV ticket, and a Györ-Vienna Sparscheine ticket, all on the through EC344.

I have my doubts about what will apply after we leave the EU.
Certainly the similar deal in Slovakia (for which you need a certificate from a ticket office to confirm eligibility) only applies to EU citizens.
I had the misfortune to need hospital attention in Budapest last year, and the validity of my EHIC card was questioned (no problem, in the end).

Veteran Member
Certainly the similar deal in Slovakia (for which you need a certificate from a ticket office to confirm eligibility) only applies to EU citizens.

That's what I thought too, but re-reading the ZSSK site recently it this only applies of you are under 62. Once you reach 62, anyone can get the photocard.

http://www.slovakrail.sk/en/zero-fare.html

Whether it might be vulnerable to a change of government I don't know.

Last edited:

Redonian

For the over 65`s, just wondering if there are any for EU members, I believe I can just use a passport for getting around Budapest by tram and bus for free, but didnt test it last time I was out, I`m off for a few weeks in May to try to cover some more lines and wondered what if anything was available?

Travel on The Metro, trams and buses in Budapest is free for over 65's. I believe this facility covers EU citizens only. You need your passport with you at all times when thus travelling and may well be asked to show it at gates into The Metro or indeed by inspectors on trams or when getting on buses.
I have used this facility several times with absolutely no problem.

shredder1

Established Member
Travel on The Metro, trams and buses in Budapest is free for over 65's. I believe this facility covers EU citizens only. You need your passport with you at all times when thus travelling and may well be asked to show it at gates into The Metro or indeed by inspectors on trams or when getting on buses.
I have used this facility several times with absolutely no problem.

I thought it was something like that, I have a mate from Oldham married a Hungarian girl and now lives in Pec`s, so its nice to hear someone on here has tired it. We are not aware of the rest of the country though, having said that I`ve just checked the Interrail prices and the 7 day one is on offer at the moment for £120, so not bad really is it. Many thanks for the info.

shredder1

Established Member
You simply tick the "Person over 65" on the MAV-START web site.
It then returns all the options, with 2nd class local trains being free.
You pay the usual supplements for fast trains, 1st class and reservations, all itemised.
Internal journeys (even on international trains) can be booked this way as e-tickets, print at home.
Domestic booking opens 2 months in advance.
You just need your passport as proof of age.

As a senior, I'm intending to do Belgrade-Budapest-Vienna in June, buying a Belgrade-Kelebia (HU) standard ticket, a Kelebia-Györ "over 65" domestic MAV ticket, and a Györ-Vienna Sparscheine ticket, all on the through EC344.

I had the misfortune to need hospital attention in Budapest last year, and the validity of my EHIC card was questioned (no problem, in the end).

Thanks very much for the post, I have the Slovakian card, just cost me the price of a photograph on the main station at Bratislava, used it last year for the first time, fly out this sunday for a week, slitt have a few branch lines to do. I did Belgrade-Budapest-Vienna a few years ago, sadly last year they cut up most of the old locos out on the Belgrade freight depot in the yards.

shredder1

Established Member
That's what I thought too, but re-reading the ZSSK site recently it this only applies of you are under 62. Once you reach 62, anyone can get the photocard.

http://www.slovakrail.sk/en/zero-fare.html

Whether it might be vulnerable to a change of government I don't know.

Ah thats interesting, I`m over there for a week sunday anyway, so I`ll certainly be giving my card a battering.,

dutchflyer

Established Member
Its officially for ALL regular public transport (only base fare, as said the usual supplements for fast trains/buses and seat reservations must be paid) and ONLY for EU-citizens.
I've already heard about busdrivers refusing the english as''you are out of EU''. And of course you cannot expect all 1000s of local busdrivers to grasp all the fine details of brexit etc. The English of course also stand out as you do not have the usual ID-cards that about anyone uses. As a general rule, poor old Ukraynian babushki's are also admitted for free though.
MAV-staff is nicknamed MAVia due to people erroneously trying to use this facilty for part-cover of international journeys. There are heavy fines for that. The simple answer is breaking up en-route. OR-to nearly all neighbouring larger towns (in RS, RO, SK) there are so many cheaper local fares, that it simply hardly makes any sense at all.
Bp-Bratislava (assuming you also have the free ZSR card) can be done for free by using local trains and walking Komarno-Komarom (about 3 kms), or for 1,80eur by going before Bp-Szob, buy the cross border (its a return in fact) to Sturovo and the either wait for the local train (long time) or use the EC you sit in and have to pay 1 eur extra to use that. You can do a more touristy trip via Esztergom (railway now electric), use local bus to Sturovo (DK if thats included, its a 2-hourly Hungarian Volan, but mo-fr only) that connects into 2 hourly EC-trains onward.
Bp-Wien is cheapest, not fastest, by going via Sopron (buy local VOR ticket onward from machine on Austrian platform there, includes also bus/tram in Vienna).

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
MAV-staff is nicknamed MAVia due to people erroneously trying to use this facilty for part-cover of international journeys. There are heavy fines for that.

Well, the MAV web site will let you book an "Over 65" seat on the domestic leg of an international train, plus supplements of course.
I did that last year Budapest-Biharkeresztes on a through trip to Romania without any trouble.
As an e-ticket it also avoids the need to find a MAV ATM to print your ticket in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.