• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

French line speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

newmilton

I'm curious. I had occasion to travel from Rouen to Paris and back last week, and was wondering what the line speed on the classic (i.e. non-TGV) mainlines in France was. I believe the Paris-Le Havre line has had work done on it over the past couple of years, and we were clearly going at a good rate ... I would guess close to 200kph/125mph and wondered if anyone knew any more.

(The rolling stock had also been significantly upgraded since I last did the journey four years ago.)

On a related note, are there any plans to revive the old direct Dieppe-Paris line via Serqueux or is it destined to permanent 'bustitution'?

Many thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

exile

Established Member
If you look out of the window you can see the speed limit signs..... I think some routes go up to 200kph but not sure the Paris-Le Havre is one of them,

Barrett M95

The limit on this line varies, but at present is not higher than 160km/h anywhere. The older BB 16000 locos were replaced by BB 15000 locos cascaded down when LGV est was opened. Both have a maximum service speed of 160km/h.

Out of St Lazare, the line speed gradually increases and reaches 160km/h at Mantes Station. It stays pretty much there or not much below it all the way to Le Havre.

stanley T

Tours (end of the LGV) - Bordeaux St. Jean - Dax is mostly 200kph, I think. The line is straight enough, it's coaxing enough juice out of the 1.5kV OHLE that is the constraint. Not sure how far apart the substations are, though.

A new LGV over that distance has been given the provisional go ahead, but seems crazy just to save half an hour(€8bn). Paris - Bordeaux at 3 hours is competitive. If power is the problem, well if the UK can re-energise Liverpool St- Shenfield from 1.5kV to 25, without clearance problems, the French could do something similar at a fraction of the cost.

But the TGV is a national sacred cow (all lines go to Paris, of course).

Last edited:

newmilton

No classic tracks allow 220kph on the SNCF network.
On classic routes, TGVs can go up to the speed limit of the line, normally 160 kph.

Earlier in the year I travelled Paris-Geneva over the recently upgraded route through Haut-Brion where we were going far from 160kph ... the line is single track and winds so much I think at times we were doing not much more that 50kph! Splendid views and very impressive gradients though. And 20' off the journey time on the old route nonetheless.

T163R

Earlier in the year I travelled Paris-Geneva over the recently upgraded route through Haut-Brion where we were going far from 160kph ... the line is single track and winds so much I think at times we were doing not much more that 50kph! Splendid views and very impressive gradients though. And 20' off the journey time on the old route nonetheless.

It depends on the line ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.