• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Frodsham - Llandudno Junction

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathmo

I want to do this trip one-way next Saturday (and definitely won't be coming back). The standard price is £18 which seems rather a lot for just over an hour's journey - can anyone make it cheaper? Splitting at Chester saves a whole 50p!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Helsby to Llandudno Junction £13.50 Single.

Frodsham to Helsby £2.00 single, but likely nobody will collect this fare.

Rather odd the Frodsham fare, because Liverpool-Llandudno via Frodsham is £15.60!!

mathmo

Thanks! I might just get driven to Helsby in that case - that's quite a differential!

clagmonster

Established Member
Or just buy the Liverpool-Ludo Jn £15.60 ticket, and start your journey late. A break of journey is allowed on a day single, so doing this would be perfectly allowed.

mathmo

Is Liverpool - Llandudno Jn definitely valid via Frodsham? The online Routeing Guide gives maps CH and ME if I'm correct, which only allow direct or via Chester.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Is Liverpool - Llandudno Jn definitely valid via Frodsham?....

Unless you can get a direct service via Frodsham, or it is, by some strange quirk of fate, 'the shortest route', you can't do it as far as I can see. Liverpool to Llandudno (shotton) is maps ME or CH in the routeing guide.

I can't see any other ways that Frodsham-Llandudno could be made cheaper.

First class

Established Member
Ince and Elton to Llandudno Jn valid via Helsby

SDS - ANYTIME DAY S ATW
00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult @£ 14.80 = £ 14.80

Standard Class Single

Last edited by a moderator:

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
NRES reckons that Liverpool-Warrington-Frodsham-Chester-Llandudno is a valid route....

If you are checking it online, click 'check fares', you will see it notes that more than one ticket will be needed.

....Looking at journey times, not much in it really. The warrington route gives 30mins to connect between Central & Bank Quay, so in reality is probably quicker.

2hr23mins via Chester
2hr40mins via Warrington....

'The shortest route' refers to distance, not time, so any comparison made using time is irrelevant for this purpose.

....Alternatively buy a Liverpool-Chester ANY PERMITTED ticket priced at £4.60 for a single, valid via Warrington/Frodsham and excess it at Chester to a Liverpool-Llandudno ANY PERMITTED single...

I would not advise this.

First class

Established Member
Right absoultely, 100% correct ticket for £14.80!

Ince and Elton to Llandudno Junction single, valid via Helsby for sure.

SDS - ANYTIME DAY S ATW
00000 - ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult @£ 14.80 = £ 14.80

Standard Class Single

Status
Not open for further replies.