• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GA letter not received

glvbb

Hello! I was stopped at Stansted airport travelling with an invalid ticket. I bought a ticket from trainline using railcard discount, which I do not have. An officer took my details (address, name ).
I have also moved to another address and I have contacted Greater Anglia to change my address.
I am a bit worried as 2 months have passed and I did not receive any letter regarding that.
If anyone has experience, how long does it take for GA to reach out?
I have tried everything to inform them about the address change: from calling them and emailing the prosecutions team, to calling and emailing IRCAS. Unfortunately they are responding very late or not responding at all.
I assume it might be a prosecution case from what I read, which I completely understand.
However, I am extremely sorry for doing that and would like to ask them to settle out of court if possible.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@GIVBB. Welcome to the forum. Have you got Royal Mail redirection in place for anything sent to your old place?

glvbb

@GIVBB. Welcome to the forum. Have you got Royal Mail redirection in place for anything sent to your old place?
Unfortunately the website does not allow me to do so. It is always experiencing technical issues when I try to do that. But I will keep trying.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Unfortunately the website does not allow me to do so. It is always experiencing technical issues when I try to do that. But I will keep trying.
You can get Royal Mail redirection forms from your local Post Office / sub Post Office and then, after completion, pay for the service in person there. (Certain ID required).

island

Veteran Member
Just pop round your local post office with proof of ID and address and they can sort it for you.

glvbb

You can get Royal Mail redirection forms from your local Post Office / sub Post Office and then, after completion, pay for the service in person there. (Certain ID required).
thanks! I did that!
I am still worried that they might've sent the letter, but let's see what I receive now. Thanks a lot!

Buzby

It is worth pointing out that RM is fallible - I had set up a holiday redirection and depending which postie was on duty, decreed where the inbound letters went. 60% for redirection the remainder didn’t - and were on the mat for my return. RM were too busy advising a long list of their partners of my new address details (without seeking explicit permission - see their T&Cs for the service) that it took almost 2 years to get everyone back on the same hymn sheet. Never again.

glvbb

Moderator Note - we've got two threads discussing the same case so I've merged them into one to avoid confusion.

Hello!
I have travelled with GA with a wrong ticket( applied a railcard discount without having one) and an officer took my details. I contacted them regarding an address change and they said to contact IRCAS, which I had. IRCAS has emailed me that I should await for the letter with the fine.
Does anyone have experience with paying IRCAS?
I am worried because they mentioned a fine. Does this mean that the court will be involved?
I would pay the fine immediately, I am just not sure what this means.

Last edited by a moderator:

Titfield

Established Member
I do not think they should be using the word "fine" as technically only a court can issue a fine.

At the time of travel did you receive any paperwork relating to the interaction with the "officer"?

If so please can you upload it with any personal details or identifying references obscured.

If not then you will have to wait for the letter to arrive so that the exact issue can be ascertained and the letter uploaded to this thread (again with any personal details etc obscured).

In the meantime do not stress.

Information about IRCAS can be found at https://www.ircas.co.uk/Home/Faqs

glvbb

No, I have not received any paperwork. But yes, I will be waiting for the letter. They mentioned that it is going to be a fine that I will need to pay. So I searched and people refer to unpaid fare or penalty fair as a fine.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
No, I have not received any paperwork. But yes, I will be waiting for the letter. They mentioned that it is going to be a fine that I will need to pay. So I searched and people refer to unpaid fare or penalty fair as a fine.
It will neither be an Unpaid Fare Notice nor a Penalty Fare; both of these need to be issued on the spot.

You have been (provisionally) reported for prosecution, which means IRCAS will investigate your purchase history and discover if there are any other instances of you claiming the discount when you shouldn't have. Once they have concluded, they will write to you again, and will normally offer to settle out of court for the cost of the avoided fare/fares plus an administration fee of something like £100 (this can vary).

island

Veteran Member
Without dwelling on the exact name, you will likely be getting a request to pay a sum of money in respect of your breach, which you can decline and go to court instead.

glvbb

Do you have arrangements in place to receive post sent to the address you originally gave?
Yes, they said they changed my address

This sounds
It will neither be an Unpaid Fare Notice nor a Penalty Fare; both of these need to be issued on the spot.

You have been (provisionally) reported for prosecution, which means IRCAS will investigate your purchase history and discover if there are any other instances of you claiming the discount when you shouldn't have. Once they have concluded, they will write to you again, and will normally offer to settle out of court for the cost of the avoided fare/fares plus an administration fee of something like £100 (this can vary).
Thank you so much for clarification!

Brissle Girl

Established Member
Note that for each case they identify you have travelled with a valid railcard they are likely to calculate the return fare due as two anytime singles, with no offset for the fare paid.

Depending on the route(s) you use, that could be a significant sum, far in excess of a third of the fare you should have paid.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, they said they changed my address
That wasn't the question I asked. It is very unlikely that IRCAS will be writing to you, it's much more likely to be Greater Anglia.

glvbb

That wasn't the question I asked. It is very unlikely that IRCAS will be writing to you, it's much more likely to be Greater Anglia.
IRCAS has said that they will send me a letter from the email I received from them. But I have notified GA as well.

But I do not know who lives in my previous flat now. I have sorted the RM though

Last edited: