• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gatwick - Kingston journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

londonbridge

Established Member
Would Gatwick-East Croydon-Clapham Junction-Kingston be a permitted route when using my Gatwick-Zones 5 and 6 travelcard season?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
No - you'd have to buy a ticket from East Croydon to Norbiton to travel via that route. You can use it on bus X26 from Croydon to Kingston however.

londonbridge

Established Member
I know CJ is zone 2,so what are the permitted routes between Gatwick and Kingston then?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The concept of "permitted routes" only applies to point-to-point tickets. With zonal tickets, you can only travel in the zones covered, but provided you do you're free to travel by any route you fancy.

The bus should be similar in time to a train, and is no extra expense.

I've not checked, but Gatwick-Surbiton (last station in zone 6) should be permitted via Guildford so you could use this route too. You'd still need to take a bus (K3 I think) though as you can't do Surbiton-Kingston by rail without going into zone 4.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I know CJ is zone 2,so what are the permitted routes between Gatwick and Kingston then?
The permitted routes for a Gatwick to Kingston ticket? That's not the ticket you hold or asked about...

I find this thread most confusing but are you are considering changing your Season from Gatwick to London Zones 5&6 to Gatwick to Kingston? An Annual for the former costs £2448 for the latter the price is £3208 (route Not London; valid via Clapham Jn).

If you make this change, then:
Valid Routes from Gatwick Airport [GTW] to Kingston [KNG]:

1. Direct trains from Gatwick Airport to Kingston
  2. Shortest Route: 29.75 miles
    • Gatwick Airport
    • Redhill
    • East Croydon
    • Selhurst
    • Thornton Heath
    • Norbury
    • Streatham Common
    • Streatham
    • Tooting
    • Haydons Road
    • Wimbledon
    • Raynes Park
    • New Malden
    • Norbiton
    • Kingston
  3. Mapped Routes:
    Gatwick Airport - LONDON GROUP*: LONDON GROUP* - Kingston:
    Gatwick Airport - Kingston:

* Note that the only Season option is routed "Not London", and therefore you are not permitted via any member of London Group. You are, however permitted to change at Clapham Junction.

There is no Season routed via London because that would be a Travelcard, which would require Zone 2 if you wanted to go via Clapham Junction, or just Zones 5&6 if you used a bus instead.

If you simply used your Season via Clapham Jn then your ticket would be invalid and you would either be issued a Penalty Fare (if deemed an innocent mistake) or possibly prosecuted (if deemed deliberate).

londonbridge

Established Member
The concept of "permitted routes" only applies to point-to-point tickets. With zonal tickets, you can only travel in the zones covered, but provided you do you're free to travel by any route you fancy.

The permitted routes for a Gatwick to Kingston ticket? That's not the ticket you hold or asked about...

Right,I'm beginning to understand more now. I'm currently working at Gatwick and I use the travelcard season to get the bus into Croydon and then the train to Gatwick. I need to go to Kingston tomorrow and I was thinking Gatwick-Croydon-Clapham-Kingston might have been a permitted route,so was just going to get the train at Croydon. But thanks to LexyBoy's info,especially in outlining the difference between a zonal and a point-to-point ticket,I'll abandon that idea obviously,instead I'll go tram to Wimbledon and then a 131 or 57.

Status
Not open for further replies.