• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Phil

Established Member
The latest GM Update video has the news that the track is to be relayed over the A60 bridge this month. So a little bit more progress.

duffield

Established Member
The latest GM Update video has the news that the track is to be relayed over the A60 bridge this month. So a little bit more progress.
I wonder if the opportunity exists to also add the necessary pointwork in anticipation of running over the MML bridge? I would have thought some money could be saved (plant etc. onsite) by doing the two jobs together, given they're nearly in the same location.
As this is beyond the NR boundary I guess the bureaucracy wouldn't be too onerous.

(Probably good reasons I'm not aware of exist why this won't be done though. Maybe at least a bit of embankment needs reinstating first?)

Flying Phil

Established Member
Duffield makes a good point, but I believe the plan is to have the junction for the second track about 3-400 yards North of the A60 bridge. That way there is plenty of space on virtually level track to hold a train from the MML. Stopping on the uphill curve of the actual chord line would be operationally difficult.

Flying Phil

Established Member
What is also in the latest news from the GCR is that the total raised for the "Factory Flyover" section is now more than £2 Million pounds! This achievement is really magnificent and a tribute to all who are supporting this project.

al_557

What is also in the latest news from the GCR is that the total raised for the "Factory Flyover" section is now more than £2 Million pounds! This achievement is really magnificent and a tribute to all who are supporting this project.

I think they need close to £3 million to complete the factory flyover.

Does anyone know roughly how much the 2 embankments that need to be built to complete the reunification will cost?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Whilst there have been no figures quoted yet for the embankments, there is an indication that more planning work is being undertaken as the Combined Sewer outflow pipe (just North of the Canal bridge) has been mentioned in the latest Main Line. Also it is stated that the project, as a whole, will proceed in smaller sections as finance is raised. There is still much detail work (- and costs involved) required for the planning approval which will be for much of 2024, but it is hoped to get "spades in the ground" again before the end of the year.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I suggest 'spades in the ground', demonstrating visible progress, is vital to maintaining the momentum of the project and therefore the fund-raising.
I totally agree Andy....but the GCR has only a limited number of people with the skills and time to keep this sort of project moving forward and they have had their hands full with the A 60 bridge and three replacement bridges around Quorn over the past two years!
I'm sure they are doing the best they can and the team is being strengthened, so I think we will be seeing other bits of progress sooner rather than later, ie track laying on the A60 bridge etc. What is impressive is that the fundraising is continuing to go well with over £1/2M raised this year....despite the gloomy economy.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There is a picture in the latest GCR news of a single track now laid across the new A 60 bridge so the GCR(N) is now reconnected to Network rail.

ZL exile

More news on the main line in the shed area in a GCR video on YouTube, (link below), appears life expectancy of the shed at Loughborough is much reduced with a double track mainline to run straight through it.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I watched this this morning. I dont think he said where the new shed would go. Is that land at Loughborough still available where Workington shed was going to go?

ZL exile

Correct he states they are still investigating where to locate the facilities for the various activities currently carried out at Loughborough, notable saying they may not all be in the same locations in the future

JKF

No reason it would have to be on the southern section I guess! How about covering the end of the southern three sidings at Ruddington?

1Q18

The up side at Quorn may be an option, although it would mean losing at least some of the car parking/event space.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The up side at Quorn may be an option, although it would mean losing at least some of the car parking/event space.
Whilst Quorn does have the space, it is also in a rural residential area and so planning permission for any significant structure/industrial use is extremely unlikely.
The land to the North East of Loughborough shed (by the Waste Recycling depot) is apparently heavily contaminated and would be very expensive to build on, the "Workington Shed" is effectively all gone.
I suspect a "two shed" solution may well evolve based at Loughborough with Ruddington enlarging its engineering work. Time will tell, but first we need to get work on the "Factory Flyover" started by the end of this year...

In the latest Main Line there is a lot about the reunification work and the statement that there will be a tamper going up the chord off the Midland Main Line in March to tamp the track over the new A 60 Bridge. So more progress.

Last edited:

Teaboy1

Quorn Shed !!! Ohh yes, I can quite imagine the response of the locals to having a smelly smokey noisey shed in their midst. All that rivetting banging and mess that a shed would produce to the detriment of the Quorn elite peace and quite ..... its going to frighten the horses ..... lower the house prices .... etc etc
Imagine the uproar when lighting-up say 4 locos at 6am on a Sunday morning?? All that smoke ...... given my Asthma a right turn for the worse ..... cant breath while lying in bed .... etc
Its never going to fly IMO!

Maybe better up Ruddington, not so many Nimby's !!

trebor79

Established Member
Where is the northern terminus going to be? Field in the middle of nowhere? I can't think that reversing into the Ruddington site is going to be the answer.

1Q18

Where is the northern terminus going to be? Field in the middle of nowhere? I can't think that reversing into the Ruddington site is going to be the answer.
I don’t think anything’s been confirmed yet with that, but it’s probably a safe assumption that providing passengers with access to the Ruddington site in some manner will feature, whether that’s trains running round at the junction to get into the heritage centre as the GCR(N) have done, providing a pilot loco, or something else entirely.

Flying Phil

Established Member
What a great way to start the day!
This viaduct makes so much sense! The GCR went on viaducts through Leicester and elsewhere and is a classic image.
It also explains why the engine shed will need to be relocated. To have a single track around the shed and a long section of double track North of the shed (To allow a full length train to wait entry to Loughborough) would mean a double track embankment almost up to Precis-spark. The extra height needed to cross Railway terrace would mean a significantly taller and wider embankment....lots of lorry loads of material!
Using piles and standard bridge decks for the long single track viaduct from the Sewer outflow to the MML bridge will be a lot faster to build, and far less intrusive in terms of lorry movements during construction. It also means though that it becomes one construction project rather than three phases but I suspect because of the modular construction, a smaller workforce could be used?

CAUTION WIMB Alert!
It would also be good if the single track bridge across the sewer outflow had steel lattice parapets ( as per the new Quorn bridges and canal bridge) ....also the viaduct could have blue brick arch facades along the East side where it runs past Precis-spark. This was done on the new MML bridge abutments.
If you really had some spare cash, then a non-structural "Bowstring Girder" would be nice across Railway terrace!

SLC001

Good to see progress. I hope the planning application goes well as you can never be sure these days and problems here will eat into the funds available. I still wonder about the commercial benefits by reunifying the lines especially given the struggles some heritage lines are having but as a former resident of Mountsorrel I am delighted that things are moving on.