• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Get me there" (TfGM contactless card)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Anyone on here ever actually used these? (Contactless ticketing cards for use on trams/buses in the Greater Manchester area. But not valid on trains.)

Have to say the system seems a bit half baked and poorly thought out.

Almost like some work experience kid has tried to replicate London's Oyster Card system.

Thoughts anyone?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

janb

I have one, and used it once with a travelcard loaded about 4 years ago. But I only did as an enthusiast trying something out, it was such a poorly designed system that you wouldn't use it normally. Now that contactless is accepted it has become even more redundant.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Trams accept contactless, so there is little reason for an adult to use one.

Yep. I've used a contactless card the last time I used Metrolink, the same card I used when I last used London Underground.

My gripe is they haven't bothered to put a reader on platform 2 at Altrincham, so if you're arriving from a train on platform 3 you have to walk over to platform 1 even if the next tram departs from platform 2.

plugwash

Established Member
When the system was originally announced there were certainly plans to include trains, but that quietly dropped away at some point. I presume TFGM couldn't agree workable terms with the rail industry.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
When the system was originally announced there were certainly plans to include trains, but that quietly dropped away at some point. I presume TFGM couldn't agree workable terms with the rail industry.

I'm sure I've seen the "Get Me There" machines next to platforms 8/9 at Piccadilly and I also think they've only appeared very recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.