• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good rail/bus based games for computers with low RAM

Trainguy34

My computer has low RAM (4GB I think), does anyone know of any good bus or train games I could play?

Any games for the Nintendo switch would also be muchly appreciated aswell.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
My computer has low RAM (4GB I think), does anyone know of any good bus or train games I could play?
Might be worth seeing if any games on Roblox work for you, Roblox doesn't use more than 2GB of RAM so it should be decent (although things like GPU will change what level of graphics you can have)

British Railway is (in my opinion) the best UK train game on Roblox.
It's relatively new so only has a few classes of train (90, 142, 153, 156, 170, 220, 221 and 350)

Trainguy34

Tried it on my phone actually only earlier today, prefer Stepford county railway however.

Melancholia

For the Switch, you've got Train Life: A Railway Simulator, which looks like quite an interesting in-depth game

And for your PC, other than what has been suggested above by others, try out Sid Meier's Railroads

PacerTrain142

On Moderation
Train Simulator Classic (from Steam) will run ok on 4 GB RAM, although you will need to turn some settings down, and you may get some lag on busier routes. OpenBve (which is free) will also run fine, which is a very old but very realistic train simulator. OMSI 2 is a very realistic bus simulator that will also work on 4 GB RAM, in fact, by default, I don't think it uses more than 2 GB.

Trainguy34

SCR is great but it gets boring after a while and route expansions have just stopped. British Railway is better-detailed, and I also like GCR a lot.
Especially since my favourite train (Controversial!) was replaced, Dispatching is quite good though.

Purple Train

Established Member
SCR is great but it gets boring after a while and route expansions have just stopped. British Railway is better-detailed, and I also like GCR a lot.
However, on my device (which isn't going to win any gaming awards) they both run like sloths. I find SCR tolerable if I completely ignore the culture, which can be quite toxic.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
OpenBve (which is free) will also run fine, which is a very old but very realistic train simulator.
Just downloaded that and gave it a go (323 on Crosscity), I SPAD and was not really sure how to do anything beyond there (my fault for not checking the controls :)) so just closed it for now, seems good.
From what I can find the catalogue is quite limited in terms of UK routes? Is there only the 8 or so I've found between these 3 websites?

Last edited:

Willie Bee

Was just about to post a question about a possible train game, for a normal 'not high spec gaming' PC so this thread has given me a few options to look at.

My computer was built for me by a local company, so I can't easily find details of memory etc etc.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Was just about to post a question about a possible train game, for a normal 'not high spec gaming' PC so this thread has given me a few options to look at.

My computer was built for me by a local company, so I can't easily find details of memory etc etc.
Assuming you're running some version of Windows, press the Windows key and Pause/Break; that will bring up a screen that will tell you how much RAM, what your CPU is, etc.

Willie Bee

Assuming you're running some version of Windows, press the Windows key and Pause/Break; that will bring up a screen that will tell you how much RAM, what your CPU is, etc.
many thanks ... so I have ..

Attachments

• MYPC.jpg
    MYPC.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 41

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
many thanks ... so I have ..
Core i5 CPU and 8GB of RAM isn't too bad, really. Mine has an i3 of 2013 vintage and it will run Train Simulator (classic version), although the performance isn't sparkling.

Games such as Railroad Tycoon will easily run on it, but it's always best to check the recommended specification for each game (rather than the minimum) and compare it with what you have.

If you have a specific game in mind, let us know here and someone will be able to advise if it's worth your while buying it. There's nothing worse than shelling out for a game, downloading it and then being disappointed that it won't run well.

Willie Bee

If you have a specific game in mind, let us know here and someone will be able to advise if it's worth your while buying it. There's nothing worse than shelling out for a game, downloading it and then being disappointed that it won't run well.
Thank you

There seem to be quite a few options .. I'll have to investigate further and then get back on here for advice.

Zamracene749

From what I can find the catalogue is quite limited in terms of UK routes? Is there only the 8 or so I've found between these 3 websites?
There were dozens of UK BVE routes, both fictional and real. Most have long since vanished online, but there are some out there that can be found if you know where to look. Don't rule out BVE 2 and 4 routes, there were some good ones that will run on open BVE.

wonkotsane

OpenTTD should work... might struggle a little with a massive map and lots of mods though.
I had the original TT, then TT Deluxe and then OpenTTD. I've been playing it since the 90s and I'm still playing OpenTTD now. Even after all these years I still find new tricks and techniques.

talldave

Established Member

Any games for the Nintendo switch would also be muchly appreciated aswell.
Bus Driving Simulator 24 - City Roads for Nintendo Switch is currently reduced from £22.49 down to £2.69 until 1st March 2024 in the Nintendo eShop and downloadable bus add-ons are free.

Bargain of the year!!