• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Google Map quirks

Mat17

I first saw this on the satellite view on Google maps and thought, "That's bizarre". So I thought I'd Google the info for the station's history and yes, even the regular Google search concurs with the map.

Oxspring station had the briefest of existences on the Woodhead line, opened in 1845 and shut in 1847... Not sure that's temporary! :)

IMG_20240423_142221.jpg

I can't fathom why that should be as such, but then I wondered are there any other weird Google map quirks out there?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Boff

Seeing the title of this thread reminded me of something else Google Maps have done for reasons that I can't fathom.

The Elizabeth line used to be properly displayed on the Public Transport layer of Google Maps, with the actual route of the tunnels (almost always) being correctly shown - though I unfortunately don't have a screenshot of this.
However, recently someone seemed to decide to change it so that it directly mimics the central line between Lancaster Gate and Tottenham Court Road, and the H&C between Farringdon and Whitechapel (see screenshot). Is there any reason for this, as (ignoring the obvious issue that its no longer accurate), it hides the central and H&C lines behind it?

1713964031490.png
(image showing central London on Google Maps with the 'Public Transport' layer enabled)