• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government must now enforce some new rules re travel by rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
I know there was a previous thread on enforcement that is now locked but I just wanted to highlight my experience today. I appreciate admin may want to move to an existing thread but I couldn’t find a ‘fit’

Anyway I’ll keep this brief, I’m currently working at a quite big coastal station helping re social distancing & a one way system in & out.

Today after about 10am through to lunchtime many trains were arriving with a good two thirds full of ‘the t-shirt & bucket & spade brigade’
carrying stocks of alcohol, beach toys & even garden chairs. Obviously prompted by the weather & a bank holiday weekend to come.

We were gobsmacked (perhaps we shouldn’t have been) but some/most travellers had travelled some 60-70 miles plus, families, couples, young groups of teens etc & social distancing was not good at all with little face covering.

Signage & announcements are everywhere on the trains & the station.

One female staff member was reduced to tears as she was that shocked! So much for essential travel & key workers.

Rant over but my point is Government to my mind have got to move quickly especially seeing in the media other areas with similar issues around the UK

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
You're absolutely right - the Government need to ditch the whole social distancing fiasco and let people get on with their lives as normal again if they want to (including going to the seaside).

LowLevel

Established Member
Had similar on a smaller scale. I did have the idea that running the trains as far as the next town to the seaside with a replacement bus (actually faster than the train) would be a good way to serve workers (particularly if you didn't charge for the bus) and put off day trippers.

Ivor

Originally Balham & now The West Sussex Coastway
Had similar on a smaller scale. I did have the idea that running the trains as far as the next town to the seaside with a replacement bus (actually faster than the train) would be a good way to serve workers (particularly if you didn't charge for the bus) and put off day trippers.
Yep a good idea but even workers being brought in by bus the social distancing on a bus isn’t great, a shame we have to think of ideas to overcome people with no common sense :s

Skymonster

Established Member
Yep a good idea but even workers being brought in by bus the social distancing on a bus isn’t great, a shame we have to think of ideas to overcome people with no common sense :s
The people who really lack common sense are those who seem to think and behave as if COVID-19 is going to every last one of us.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For discussion on social distancing on public transport please see this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.