• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Eastern area timber built signal boxes

Big Jumby 74

This question might also apply to the 'modelling' pages, but thought I'd start here. Recently purchased the ready made model of Wroxham box as made by Bachmann Scenecraft, and the timberwork is painted/modelled in a yellow Ocher sort of colour. Looks very nice, but set me thinking as to what boxes out in E.Anglia were treated to, colour wise, both pre 1948, and under BR/steam era ownership? Most over time will of course have turned to varying shades of brake dust brown, but would be nice to know their original colour schemes, if there was any set 'standard' that is?

TIA

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
This question might also apply to the 'modelling' pages, but thought I'd start here. Recently purchased the ready made model of Wroxham box as made by Bachmann Scenecraft, and the timberwork is painted/modelled in a yellow Ocher sort of colour. Looks very nice, but set me thinking as to what boxes out in E.Anglia were treated to, colour wise, both pre 1948, and under BR/steam era ownership? Most over time will of course have turned to varying shades of brake dust brown, but would be nice to know their original colour schemes, if there was any set 'standard' that is?

TIA
Which company originally operated Wroxham? was it GER?

This site may help https://www.stationcolours.info/london-north-eastern-railway/

looks pretty detailed - LNER constituents are down the page linked and the BR regional colours below.

GREAT EASTERN RAILWAY

The GER used a very pale stone color for the bulk of the woodwork, with a reddish mid-brown, (Brown Oxide), for ironwork, etc. and some smaller items picked out in black. Unusually doors seem to have been painted in the lighter color, as were window frames. It seems that the District Engineer had considerable leeway when deciding on painting schemes; there are references to signal boxes being painted brown all over, though happily, this should be obvious from a black & white photograph, as should the colors of station doors

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
Many thanks for that tip.
These SR colour specs for buildings show how detailed the specs could be (skirting board colour in toilets for example!)

I've seen these in larger format on another excellent website - with info for other regions / companies - but I can't find that at the moment which is frustrating

Big Jumby 74

That's excellent, thank you. Being a Southern based site, it has just rekindled an old memory. One of my old (long gone now) colleagues on the SWD, being from a 'railway family', grew up in South London, his father being employed in the stores at Nine Elms. I recall him (my colleague) telling us (his work mates at that time) how his family house in his youth was always repainted (outside and in) in Malachite green, as his dad had access to 'old stock' over the years, which is probably the best way to put it. Just remembering that now has creased me up....:lol::lol:

WesternLancer

Established Member
That's excellent, thank you. Being a Southern based site, it has just rekindled an old memory. One of my old (long gone now) colleagues on the SWD, being from a 'railway family', grew up in South London, his father being employed in the stores at Nine Elms. I recall him (my colleague) telling us (his work mates at that time) how his family house in his youth was always repainted (outside and in) in Malachite green, as his dad had access to 'old stock' over the years, which is probably the best way to put it. Just remembering that now has creased me up....:lol::lol:
Great story - and I bet his wasn't the only house that was kept smart via such 'initiatives' :lol:

Better than letting stuff go to waste when they changed from SR green to BR(s) green after all ;)