• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Campaign any requests for help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MP33

I went to renew my season ticket after a 10 week break from work and there was a poster advising that in May.

700+ penalty fare notices had been issued.

70+ Intentions to prosecute.

I have not used any public transport since April, so I would not have witnessed anything. There does not appear to be any threads created on this sub forum concerning Greater Anglia.

Are their figures all that they make them out to be?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
I went to renew my season ticket after a 10 week break from work and there was a poster advising that in May.

700+ penalty fare notices had been issued.

70+ Intentions to prosecute.

I have not used any public transport since April, so I would not have witnessed anything. There does not appear to be any threads created on this sub forum concerning Greater Anglia.

Are their figures all that they make them out to be?

Most people who come on this forum believe they have some defence against the charges against them. With an average of only a little over 2 intentions to prosecute a day they may have found people who said "fair cop mate" - others may have gone to a solicitor or citizens' advice in preference to an internet forum (or thy may not have thought to search the internet).

Others may read here and decide (rightly or wrongly) their case is similar enough to another they read about to take whatever action.

nicobobinus

I'd be interested to see a breakdown of penalties/prosecutions between main line services and the Metro routes. The latter have a lot of ungated stations and certainly on my local line ticket checks by revenue staff have historically been pretty rare - with one exception, which I will go into. Edmonton Green and Enfield Town may see a blockade, Seven Sisters often gets checks on the passage between the GA platforms and the tube (which always seems to net ticketless passengers with oysters ready to 'tap in' to the tube), but that's about it. Journeys between the less well patronised stations in between have historically been regarded as a free ride for anyone willing to risk it - I've lived in Tottenham 20 years and know a sizeable minority of people are more than willing to. If GA have stepped up on-train checks or set up blocks at lesser stations it wouldn't be difficult to net large numbers, and in that case it probably would be a fair cop. Between Oyster availability and reasonably well maintained TVMs there are few 'excuses' to fall back on.

I do accept more opaque issues such as first class declassification will lead to the sort of PF doleing outs that lead to threads here, but my point is that static blockades at places such as Seven Sisters must regularly pull such large numbers of ticketless travellers that many of the numbers will come from there alone. Six to eight revenue staff plus BTP can be overwhelmed by the suspect cases from a single up train belching out passengers onto the tube there.

Last edited:

Be3G

Established Member
When I used to commute on a daily basis with NXEA it wasn't unusual to see a blockade of inspectors at Tottenham Hale in the morning peak. I've only seen one blockade at Enfield Lock though, and I don't think I've ever encountered one at Turkey Street. Edmonton Green does, of course, have barriers now which hopefully helps a little.

I was slightly surprised, however, to encounter a GA ticket inspector on a Sunday train from ENL last year.

Monty

Established Member
Them figures sound pretty low for a month. Think they need more inspectors!

I was going to say, in the past I'd seen figures for any given period for SWT to be double or sometimes triple that number!

Be3G

Established Member
I've only seen one blockade at Enfield Lock though, and I don't think I've ever encountered one at Turkey Street.

Ironically, a couple of days after writing the above, I've just seen this on Enfield's local news website!

Hellfire

Ironically, a couple of days after writing the above, I've just seen this on Enfield's local news website!

Good to see the police have a "Safe Neighbourhood Team" Isn't that what they are all supposed to be doing?

Status
Not open for further replies.