• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Class 165/166 Turbo Diagrams

LUYMun

Hazarding a guess, as the North Downs Line is closed all this week, freeing up a fair number of 165s, are they being put onto Paddington diagrams to enable more work to be done on the 800 fleet?
If anything, the North Downs closing should free up more 165s to form multiple sets for IET subs! :lol:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Benjwri

Established Member
So if the North Downs wasn’t shut there would have been quite a few more short forms this week!
Although to be fair we don’t know the full situation. There’s quite a backlog of Class 800 maintenance. Perhaps GWR and Hitachi are taking the extra availability to get on top of it.

Murray J

The 1P18 07:54 Oxford-Paddington is showing as operated as 165107+165104 tomorrow. Surprised it's come up this early but none others coming up yet.

Anonymous10

Established Member
The 1P18 07:54 Oxford-Paddington is showing as operated as 165107+165104 tomorrow. Surprised it's come up this early but none others coming up yet.
Might be down to it finishing at Oxford?

Benjwri

Established Member
Yeah the diagrams that originate from Oxford Carriage Sidings tend to appear earliest, presumably they don't have to wait for a list of available units from a depot, so it makes it easier

Murray J

Yeah the diagrams that originate from Oxford Carriage Sidings tend to appear earliest, presumably they don't have to wait for a list of available units from a depot, so it makes it easier
Mmm that makes sense.
In RTT it seems to head to North Pole as 5P18 but I'm assuming that'll change as it isn't an IET?

Benjwri

Established Member
Mmm that makes sense.
In RTT it seems to head to North Pole as 5P18 but I'm assuming that'll change as it isn't an IET?
It most definitely won't go to North Pole, it'll probably be swapped onto another diagram or be run ECS somewhere

Benjwri

Established Member
Mmm thought as much, not an expert on GWR depot stuff but it would've been odd.
Yeah North Pole, Stoke Gifford and Swansea are Hitachi, so nothing but IETs will go there.

Everything is allocated now, all IETs so I would assume they'll run somewhere ECS. There is also an unallocated Great Malvern service (1W39, 1348), so they could get shoved somewhere and used on that, but I'd really hope GWR wouldn't do that.

Murray J

Yeah North Pole, Stoke Gifford and Swansea are Hitachi, so nothing but IETs will go there.
Indeed.
Looks like it's ended up operating this, 09:30 1R18 Paddington-Reading as a VSTP path? Doesn't have unit allocation on it though.

Benjwri

Established Member
Indeed.
Looks like it's ended up operating this, 09:30 1R18 Paddington-Reading as a VSTP path? Doesn't have unit allocation on it though.
Yeah I believe it was mean to operate 5R18 but it turned into a passenger service. Presumably trying to alleviate some of the chaos from lines further down being flooded, good on GWR.

DailyCommuter

165113 + 111 have also been working on Paddington - Oxford services this afternoon too e.g.

Snow1964

Established Member
Looks like there are some 6car workings to Weymouth today

Appears the last working back to Bristol is 8car formation (and it calls at Avoncliffe with its single door opening)

Robin Procter

Appears the last working back to Bristol is 8car formation (and it calls at Avoncliffe with its single door opening)

.... Probably GWR expecting lots of Easter holiday grockles going to the seaside. It's a sunny day down in coastal West Dorset (I am based a bit further along the coast) and that brings them out of the woodwork. Needless to say, I'm staying home and away from all that.

Parallel

Established Member

Not only Avoncliff but I think 6 coaches are too long for the platforms southbound at Oldfield Park, Freshford, Bradford-on-Avon, Frome, Bruton, Castle Cary platform 3, Maiden Newton and the request stops. The internal doors were locked between the 5th and 6th carriages when a 6 car operated CDF-PMH before with the rear carriage locked out of use.

4 cars is usually the limit for Weymouth with Turbos or 158s as far as I’m aware, but I guess Bruton and Maiden Newton could be local door only; they’re not busy stations.

nw1

Established Member
.... Probably GWR expecting lots of Easter holiday grockles going to the seaside. It's a sunny day down in coastal West Dorset (I am based a bit further along the coast) and that brings them out of the woodwork. Needless to say, I'm staying home and away from all that.

Bit cool for the seaside though!

I'd have thought temps of at least 20C would be needed to attract people to seaside resorts.

Train Boy

4 cars is usually the limit for Weymouth with Turbos or 158s as far as I’m aware, but I guess Bruton and Maiden Newton could be local door only; they’re not busy stations.

This is correct, although the limitations would be Maiden Newton and Frome at both 4 coaches maximum, additionally Castle Cary platform 3. Bruton will accommodate 5 coaches.

On a 5 or 6 car on the Heart of Wessex, 99% of the time you'll find the rear unit locked out (unless it is exceptionally busy where the front 4 coaches may be used if Castle Cary platform 3 isn't involved). For 2O84, I am very confident come the time, it will only be 3 coaches for the simple reason that the rear unit won't be used for passengers. 2V82 is actually booked a 6 car, with the rear 3 locked out.

Robin Procter

Bit cool for the seaside though!

I'd have thought temps of at least 20C would be needed to attract people to seaside resorts.
.... Going to the seaside doesn't have to be stripping off and lying on a beach nor swimming in the sea. The sun is out, it looks bright and sunny and settled, so dress accordingly and enjoy the sea air and some fish-n-chips. Plus who knows what the crazy climate is going to do tomorrow and next week.

This is correct, although the limitations would be Maiden Newton and Frome at both 4 coaches maximum, additionally Castle Cary platform 3. Bruton will accommodate 5 coaches.

On a 5 or 6 car on the Heart of Wessex, 99% of the time you'll find the rear unit locked out (unless it is exceptionally busy where the front 4 coaches may be used if Castle Cary platform 3 isn't involved). For 2O84, I am very confident come the time, it will only be 3 coaches for the simple reason that the rear unit won't be used for passengers. 2V82 is actually booked a 6 car, with the rear 3 locked out.
.... I'm confident that GWR have got all that under control via their various station platform announcements. Whether everyone travelling on these longer trains has the intelligence to listen, take note and act accordingly is of course another matter but that's the case with the populus in many circumstances not just on railways.

The exile

Established Member

Appears actually to have left Weymouth (half an hour late) as a 3-car.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Data error, most likely due to an unit swap at Bristol Temple Meads due to issues with a broken down Turbo on the previous Weymouth train causing a bit of chaos at Trowbridge, the inbound was only a 3 coach unit

It has been a while since the last swap of turbos between Reading and Bristol, but it looks like a swap is planned today;

5O91 1229 Reading Traincare Depot to Swindon
2O91 1342 Swindon to Weymouth

2V79 1058 Weymouth to Swindon
5R79 1332 Swindon to Reading Traincare Depot

It has been a while since the last swap of turbos between Reading and Bristol, but it looks like a swap is planned today;

5O91 1229 Reading Traincare Depot to Swindon
2O91 1342 Swindon to Weymouth

2V79 1058 Weymouth to Swindon
5R79 1332 Swindon to Reading Traincare Depot
It's a bit of creative thinking to swap out 166220 which is bust of its fuel miles.

They swap back later with 5C58 17+00 Reading TCD to to Bristol Temple Meads for 166220 and 5R86 18+40 Bristol Temple Meads to Reading TCD for 165113.

Saves throwing passengers off 2x trains at Westbury and causing loads of delays to get 166220 back to SPM.

Making best use of available resources to deliver the best possible customer expiriance is the way I justify it.

Last edited:
Thank you for that interesting information. I had not thought to check to see if there was a reverse swap a few hours later because last year these swaps usually lasted for a week or so. My mistake!

Benjwri

Established Member
An interesting plan for the next timetable change is Reading seem to be lending 3 turbos to the West at weekends they travel from Oxford to Bristol via Reading on Saturday morning: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C90389/2024-09-14/detailed
And return from SPM in on Sunday evening.