• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GWR Waterloo and Euston

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Pity there's no way to terminate at Olympia these days but probably need LUL to run regular district line services ti the station

Be interesting to see both sleepers at Euston

Woolos 22

Could anything go from Westbury via Salisbury to Waterloo, or be diverted via West Curve to rebuilt Reading West (instead of Reading), Basingstoke (reverse) and

Previous when work was done on a bank holidays south wales trains went into Marylebone via Banbury and bristol and south west went to waterloo via Basingstoke and Reading. So why not now.

Last edited:

vikingdriver

Previous when work was done on a bank holidays south wales trains went into Marylebone via Banbury and bristol and south west went to waterloo via Basingstoke and Reading. So why not now.
We had an IET come over to Salisbury recently.

Parallel

Established Member
No idea. Proves they can get there I suppose.

Would take even longer.

I think it was to do with testing if it would work operationally - I understand the answer was no as there wasn’t sufficient clearance for wheelchair users to disembark at the west end of the platforms.

JJmoogle

No, 800s aren't cleared.
Do we have any ideas where Cotswold trains are ending up, I assume it's Reading so I'd have to be changing onto Chiltern(oxford) or SWR(Reading) if there's nothing going closer to TfL land, actually come to think of it, what's happening to the Elizabeth between Reading and Paddington.

Snow1964

Established Member
what's happening to the Elizabeth between Reading and Paddington.
There are many stages of the build, there are diaphragm walls that need to be dug and concreted which run diagonally across the tracks, so in simple terms need to lift track, do work, put track back. Then there is a capping slab of the hole (again lift track, cast slab, put track back), these all relate to the low level HS2 lines. Once the slab is cast, can dig under it. Finally can build the platforms in sequence, and once ready slew tracks into them.

So basically there are periods when the Elizabeth line will not be able to run through Old Oak area because there will be temporary gap in track. My understanding is will terminate at Westbourne Park reversing sidings, and a limited service will run west of Acton area, with passengers having to use District or Central to connect to central London.

Obviously the actual work is lot more complicated than quick summary of how it affects Elizabeth line

The Planner

Veteran Member
Do we have any ideas where Cotswold trains are ending up, I assume it's Reading so I'd have to be changing onto Chiltern(oxford) or SWR(Reading) if there's nothing going closer to TfL land, actually come to think of it, what's happening to the Elizabeth between Reading and Paddington.
Not until GWR bid the timetable no. They may run them to Oxford, Reading or Eailing.

12LDA28C

Established Member

Because HSTs were passed for Marylebone and as has been stated more than once in this thread, IETs are not passed for Marylebone.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Probably as far as Reading - Ealing Broadway. If the lines towards Willesden Junction (Poplars) are electrified, there is potential for a passenger service diversion but that is unlikely and may be more likely for stock moves.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Probably as far as Reading - Ealing Broadway. If the lines towards Willesden Junction (Poplars) are electrified, there is potential for a passenger service diversion but that is unlikely and may be more likely for stock moves.
Considering the first diversions will be Christmas, wires are a tad unlikely.

jimm

Established Member
The odds are that Cotswold Line trains will run to and from Reading - this has been the practice for a long time now when there is no access to Paddington.

It gives passengers to/from London the obvious option of changing at Oxford to/from Chiltern, which avoids mixing them up with other GWR passengers affected by the disruption - and Chiltern are used to handling the extra passengers.

But if people do want to try their luck with the other options then they are all available with a Reading change, whether that is Euston, SWR's Waterloo route or GWR services to/from Ealing for connections with the Underground - or the Elizabeth Line, should it be running past Old Oak Common, depending on what work is taking place.

MP33

I saw a GWR train at Euston on Friday. Looking at the people standing around and on the train, it appeared to be a staff excursion.

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It was a test train so there will be a number of people on it. When you do compatibility tests, there are a number of elements that have to be checked. On the Turbos in the west, a lot of this work was done at night.

class ep-09

800’s are bi-modal no need for wires.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Is running to Clapham Jct an option? Or over the Dudding Hill Line to MML and St Pancras/West Hampstead/etc?
Clapham Jn isnt central London and St Pancras would take too long. There is still an element of reasonable journey time to this.

Benjwri

Established Member
Clapham Jn isnt central London and St Pancras would take too long. There is still an element of reasonable journey time to this.
Not to mention the classic issue of running anything into St Pancras, that it doesn’t have TPWS and AWS installed, and the 800s do not have KVB, plus no easy way to get people onto the platforms without compromising the security of other platforms.

JJmoogle

Not to mention the classic issue of running anything into St Pancras, that it doesn’t have TPWS and AWS installed, and the 800s do not have KVB, plus no easy way to get people onto the platforms without compromising the security of other platforms.
St Pancras MML is almost entirely seperate from the other side of it so there aren't security or signalling concerns, regardless the dudding hill line is far, far too slow and the capacity of the 4 MML platforms is already too full so it's not worth considering over Euston

Mark J

I wonder if these fares will be valid on GWR services from Reading to Waterloo, during the diversion period...

After all, GWR services would be going via Staines.

(Edit: If it does happen to be the case later in the year.)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240325-133952_Samsung Internet.png
    Screenshot_20240325-133952_Samsung Internet.png
    216 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

Benjwri

Established Member
St Pancras MML is almost entirely seperate from the other side of it so there aren't security or signalling concerns, regardless the dudding hill line is far, far too slow and the capacity of the 4 MML platforms is already too full so it's not worth considering over Euston
Ahhhh I assumed that the poster was suggesting the international platforms at St Pancras, since the MML platforms aren't even connected to the NLL are they, and they are possibly the least intensively used platforms in central London. I didn't even consider they might mean the MML ones!
GWR won't be going to Waterloo.
And even if the plans had worked out they wouldn't have gone via Staines!