• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hanson & Hall

fgwrich

Established Member
""Seemed" is a good word.
Truth is it is 107 tons of various metals - an asset or an encumberance.

I remember Harry Needle posting on a forum about the achilies heel of the class 31 is the cannon tubes in the suspension, as well as the centre axle having wheels 4 inches less in diameter than the powered axles.

Class 31s will be off to the scrapyards and only the fittest, and owners with deeper pockets will remain.

Sad fact of locomotive preservation #236
And this is the problem that has always been their pitiful, and one Network Rail were all too aware off only a few years ago. There’s a reason why they were keen to offload their 31s, and with the price of new wheel sets, that’s it. And sadly, unless various 31 owning groups get together to get ahead of the growing situation, I can only foresee either more 31s heading down the same route or, expensive appeals when it comes to new wheels.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Towers

Established Member
Is it fair to assume, then, that the previous planned overhaul of the former 106 likely ground to a halt owing to some insurmountable issue - possibly involving wheelsets, or not - and that H&H either couldn’t or didn’t find an owner other than the scrapmerchant? It wasn’t stripped for any parts of spares, and was dispatched whole? A wasted opportunity on two levels, quite possibly.

Towers

Established Member
Is there any confirmation of the destruction of 31106? Presumably it isn’t still languishing inside the scrapyard?

ExRes

Established Member
Is there any confirmation of the destruction of 31106? Presumably it isn’t still languishing inside the scrapyard?

I've not seen any photos since it arrived at the beginning of December, I guess it's down to whatever agreement was reached on parts removal

fgwrich

Established Member
Still intact and sat in EMR's Kingsbury site, but It's believed to now be internally stripped. EMR seem to be busy chomping up the MXA Lobster's at the moment.

Towers

Established Member
Still intact and sat in EMR's Kingsbury site, but It's believed to now be internally stripped. EMR seem to be busy chomping up the MXA Lobster's at the moment.
Well that’s something then, assuming internally stripped means parts finding further use elsewhere. A shame, but not a complete waste.

JKF

Well that’s something then, assuming internally stripped means parts finding further use elsewhere. A shame, but not a complete waste.
It might just mean they’ve taken out the wiring etc to recover the copper.

Does seem odd that this should just go for scrap without other parties being offered it, looks OK externally and one of the oldest survivors.

D365

Veteran Member
What would be the transport costs to recover one such 31??

The_Train

Established Member
Photo I have seen shows the number has been flame cut on at least one side, pretty much confirming it's end fate :(

Wyrleybart

Established Member
It might just mean they’ve taken out the wiring etc to recover the copper.

Does seem odd that this should just go for scrap without other parties being offered it, looks OK externally and one of the oldest survivors.
I am under the impression other class 31 owners have been allowed to buy / take parts from 31106 prior to it's scrapping.

That is amazing. I thought the Lobsters were brand new box bodies, on admittedly not so new BDA bolster wagons. Sounds like a bonkers piece of wagon procurement to me, but we are talking about DBC eh

ExRes

Established Member
50008 out today on 1234 0Z50 Knottingley TMD to Knottingley TMD via Goole, Spring Bank Jct and Selby

ExRes

Established Member
50008 worked 1303 0E50 Knottingley TMD to Darlington Down Sidings, 1612 6Z50 to York Thrall Europa with a failed NR Mobile Maintenance train and 2013 0Z51 to Knottingley TMD

** Updated Tuesday 27th February **

50008 worked 1405 0Z50 Knottingley TMD to Chesterfield and 1519 0Z51 return

** Updated Wednesday 28th February **

50008 working a repeat of yesterdays 1405 0Z50 Knottingley TMD to Chesterfield and 1519 0Z51 return

Last edited:

ExRes

Established Member
50008 worked 1117 0Z50 Knottingley TMD to Sheffield, 1252 0Z51 Sheffield to Sheffield via Wakefield Kirkgate and 1530 0Z52 to Knottingley TMD

Thunderer showing a subtle change to its livery with the H&H lettering returning to pre RailAdventure light blue / grey

Last edited: