• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Has Peartree ever had a more regular service to Burton/Brum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Comstock

It is in a part of Derby that I personally wouldn't be walking around after dark. I think it is the combination of the area and the almost non-existant train service, so there won't be any passengers around whose presence might discourage any anti-social behaviour.

I'm not going to pretend Peartree is the best area of Derby, but by national standards it's not that bad.

There are much worse areas in bigger cities. But possibly those stations are busier.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Ah the delightful Peartree station. I'm intrigued about the southbound calls by the Sheffield to Bristol service, have you any more details please? What years did this service operate to serve Peartree from Sheffield?

Yes, it really is true that you access it via intercoms and locked gates. I had to say which train I was catching and that I had a ticket when I visited there - both platforms. Having read up online over the past few years about Peartree and the Sinfin branchline, the history behind it is really interesting about the stations opening up in the 1970s and gradually falling out of use.

I catch one of the Peartree stoppers to Derby quite often and have noticed there has been as many as 5 people getting on to go to Derby. There never seems as many people getting off the train as getting on. This is in the late afternoon.
The semi-fast long distance train ran to Cardiff in the Summer 1964 timetable. The call seemed to ‘replace’ a short local working to Burton that ran in the 1950s according to old Bradshaws.

Taunton

Established Member
Would I be right that the Sinfin project was the most unsuccessful of all the "new world" (post-1970) reopenings?

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Would I be right that the Sinfin project was the most unsuccessful of all the "new world" (post-1970) reopenings?
So far as complete ‘services’ were concerned, probably “yes”. I did a case study as part of a university dissertation many years ago. Trying to compete for a shift-working market with a timetable that didn’t serve all shifts and at times when traffic congestion was minimal and with a poorly located ‘city centre’ station away from many bus links was always doomed to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.