• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Heathrow Oyster Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainTube

As TFL Rail and Heathrow Express both allow oyster from Heathrow, I was wondering how the system calculates whether to charge you for Heathrow Express or TFL Rail between Heathrow and Paddington? Currently both run from Terminal 5, if I were to get TFL Rail to Paddington, would the system know this and charge me? And vice versa for Heathrow Express?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As TFL Rail and Heathrow Express both allow oyster from Heathrow, I was wondering how the system calculates whether to charge you for Heathrow Express or TFL Rail between Heathrow and Paddington? Currently both run from Terminal 5, if I were to get TFL Rail to Paddington, would the system know this and charge me? And vice versa for Heathrow Express?
It decides based on the particular gateline used for entry or exit at Paddington.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Fair enough, do you think timing factors in too, e.g. if the time between tapping in an out is under half an hour then it charges HX, otherwise Tfl rail?
No it doesn't but more platforms than just the Heathrow express platforms charge Heathrow express fares iirc platform 1 and 2 , 5 do as well.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Fair enough, do you think timing factors in too, e.g. if the time between tapping in an out is under half an hour then it charges HX, otherwise Tfl rail?
I don't think that journey time is ever a function of Oyster / Contactless fares.

No it doesn't but more platforms than just the Heathrow express platforms charge Heathrow express fares iirc platform 1 and 2 , 5 do as well.

If that is true, does touching in on platforms 1 to 5 break the Out of Station Interchange at Paddington when using Oyster? Using the platform 13/14 barriers at Victoria will break the OSI and I would assume that the platform 6/7 barriers at Paddington would be set up the same way.

It isn't impossible for TfL Rail to use low numbered platforms - eg https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P63066/2020-06-26/detailed used platform 2 and https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P62837/2020-06-26/detailed used platform 5 although I can't imagine there were many passengers.

Last edited:

matt_world2004

Established Member
I don't think that journey time is ever a function of Oyster / Contactless fares.

If that is true, does touching in on platforms 1 to 5 break the Out of Station Interchange at Paddington when using Oyster? Using the platform 13/14 barriers at Victoria will break the OSI and I would assume that the platform 6/7 barriers at Paddington would be set up the same way.

It isn't impossible for TfL Rail to use low numbered platforms - eg https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P63066/2020-06-26/detailed used platform 2 and https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/P62837/2020-06-26/detailed used platform 5 although I can't imagine there were many passengers.
There was a thread here a few months ago where someone touched out at platform 1 and got the max fare for Heathrow.

Edit someone had a split ticket to reading and beyond and a zonal ticket on oyster they got charged £25 for touching out on a low numbered platform. I'm going to try and find the thread.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There's maximum times to do a journey in.
Sorry, I fell into that trap. What I meant is that, within the maximum journey times, actual time taken isn't used to differentiate the price.

TrainTube

Sorry, I fell into that trap. What I meant is that, within the maximum journey times, actual time taken isn't used to differentiate the price.
Ah okay. I was also wondering what someone aged 11-15 would buy to go on heathrow express if they didn't have an oyster, seeing as the service is free, would they be allowed on with a travelcard?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Ah okay. I was also wondering what someone aged 11-15 would buy to go on heathrow express if they didn't have an oyster, seeing as the service is free, would they be allowed on with a travelcard?
All a bit academic really https://www.heathrowexpress.com/en-us/tickets-and-offers/kids-travel-free#/. Travelcard is not relevant or valid at all. The provisions for someone aged 11-15 to travel free are quite broad other than for when they are travelling unaccompanied and not taking a flight - ie they don't want children playing on the trains.

Terms and conditions
  • Children aged 15 years and under travel free in Express Class when accompanied by a paying adult, or can travel unaccompanied if they have proof of air travel such as a valid flight booking or boarding pass. Photo ID will be required.
  • Heathrow Express will not take responsibility for children who are traveling alone. Parents/Guardians who allow their children to travel unaccompanied do so at their own risk.
  • Children aged 15 years and under travel free in Business First only if accompanied by an adult who has bought a Business First ticket. Children cannot travel unaccompanied in Business First.
  • There are no restrictions on the number of children who can travel at any one time, with or without an adult.
  • A child must still be issued a ticket to travel. A child ticket cannot be purchased on its own online, but it can be purchased alongside an adult ticket. Children traveling alone must get a ticket from a Heathrow Express member of staff, in terminal, station or on-board.

TFN

Proof of ID, if they're travelling they have a passport. On our handheld machines we can issue a child ticket. If they have a ZIP Oyster the barrier doesn't charge them anyway.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Proof of ID, if they're travelling they have a passport. On our handheld machines we can issue a child ticket. If they have a ZIP Oyster the barrier doesn't charge them anyway.
Does it not charge them at Paddington end?

TrainTube

Seemingly not, looking at the single fare finder. £0.85 peak / £0.75 off-peak on TfL Rail (presumably platforms 9-14), nothing on Heathrow Express.

View attachment 80257
So by this evidence, if a child were to tap in at Paddington people on the train would have no choice but to let them continue to Heathrow, despite not having a boarding pass.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
So by this evidence, if a child were to tap in at Paddington people on the train would have no choice but to let them continue to Heathrow, despite not having a boarding pass.
Yes, it would seem so, not that they can get off the train anywhere other than Heathrow in any case.

Status
Not open for further replies.